Jason King or Brent Kite?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I've had a day of watching replay's from this season, and I have to ask everyone's opinion.

Do people think that we maybe should have released King, to retain Kite?

For mine, the answer is yes. Jason King has added very little value over the past few years on the field, and Kite has been so consistent.

I also think Kite is a much better prop. Everything he does is faster than King. He's more durable. He can create second phase play.

I don't know, I think we have made a huge mistake letting Kite go. If King appeared immobile and lumbering BEFORE last season, what is he going to be like NEXT season.

I also think he's just taking up a prospects spot now. Wouldn't Trbojevic, Sao or one of the other kids be better?

King had one decent season, and is an awesome club man, but really, is he any good on the field? Should have released him, and retained Kite imo.

Kingy is a local junior and a life member, so he was never going anywhere. Salary Cap meant that one had to go, so Kitey was it :(

Hopefully Kingy is well rested for 2014 and takes over as the leader of our pack.

You blokes are spot on thinking kitey was very good for us but any one who thinks kingy does not add some real mongrel and some serious intent is a fair way off the mark we lost a hell of a lot when king was injured he has a toughness that we did miss and fully fit he will be an asset next year. Don't worry about my punctuation posting on phone and didn't get ... In

I think Kite is absolute quality, and his era (2005-2013) is going to go down as a golden era. Wish we kept him.

I don't get some of the anti-Kingy sentiment on this forum, I believe he adds a lot.

If King can play the whole season he will add value but if he is injured again early in the season then yes he is a liability.

I doubt that his body will stand up to a whole season again now.

If Kingy was on the same money that Kite was on, then I'd say he would have been moved on. Kite was let go to free up cap space, and letting Kite go freed up more cap space than what letting King go would have.

We had no choice but to retain King as he was still under contract for 2014, Kite's contract had expired so there was no payout, with King they would have had to pay him out.

Look I will put my hand up and say I have loved both blokes at times and have struggled to understand their form at others. Kite is a former centre and would have grown up dominating as a junior. King is a no nonsense prop who does his job well

King was hard done by in his origin game in 11. He tackled himself stupid in the first fifteen minutes but manly bashers don't see stuff like that and the media has written him off ever since. When we played st George and lost in 11 he was the best on field. King plays the gf this year and we win.

But...at times he over plays things and drops the ball or belts someone high.

Unfortunately kite needed to get belted high to start going sometimes.

King will be good for the new props coming through and let's hope he is fresh and firing.

Ryan, a brilliant post and I couldn't agree more. The turning point for me was Kite's performance in the 2008 GF when he dominated and won the Clive Churchill medal. From that point he has stood up year in year out and injury free.
For me, King survives and has been kept because he is a Manly junior... He is injury prone and one dimensional. I'm yet to see him 'own and dominate' a game anywhere near the level Kite has since 2008.
We let the wrong prop go.

silver said:
Ryan, a brilliant post and I couldn't agree more. The turning point for me was Kite's performance in the 2008 GF when he dominated and won the Clive Churchill medal. From that point he has stood up year in year out and injury free.
For me, King survives and has been kept because he is a Manly junior... He is injury prone and one dimensional. I'm yet to see him 'own and dominate' a game anywhere near the level Kite has since 2008.

This... kite should have stayed and kingly gone.

Townsville Eagle said:
silver said:

This... kite should have stayed and kingly gone.

Even if it meant losing one of the younger guys? Letting kite go was more beneficial to Manly's salary cap than what letting king go would have been.

King will basically come in bones, and replace Kite's position won't he? Therefore, no-one's position in the team changes when it comes to juniors this season (unless there is injury).

I don't hate King by the way. I remember a season he had around 2006 odd, where he started the season much leaner, and was on fire, but got injured early on, and ended up sitting the majority of the season out.

I just think he's too lumbering and one dimensional for today's game. I'm also not a fan of there being two captains, and think Lyon should be our number one guy.

As far as forwards go, I think we have better options now. Look, if King gets sheltered minutes to aid in his rehab, fair enough:-

08. Brenton Lawrence
09. Matt Ballin
10. Richie Fa'aoso
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Justin Horo
13. Glenn Strewart

14. Jamie Buhrer
16. Jason King
17. Tom Symonds

I'd probably like a rookie to take the last spot, or one of the new recruits.

Also, I'd love for the official website to be updated with players etc.

Yeah I didn't read it as you hating on King. I think everyone agrees that Kite is the better footballer off the two. I just think at their ages, it's a smarter move to let the one on the higher salary go, considering the salary cap pressures we have been under since winning a premiership and with Des back ending everyone's contracts. In saying that though, I hate the fact kite can't finish his career at Manly. He is one of my favourite players to have ever played for the club. But I do have faith in a our recruitment, which has been superb over recent years. Theres no reason to suggest the 2014 recruits won't be just as good.

Kite was a great asset to the club but realistically the best was always going to be behind him. A couple of seasons back he lost his way and had a couple of shocking directionless seasons. All credit to him he came back from it and put in and was an integral part of manly going so well in the last couple of seasons.

Kingy, well, never gives less than his best. Been a bit injury prone but if he's fit and stays fit the right decision was made.

Ryan said:
I've had a day of watching replay's from this season, and I have to ask everyone's opinion.

Do people think that we maybe should have released King, to retain Kite?

For mine, the answer is yes. Jason King has added very little value over the past few years on the field, and Kite has been so consistent.

I also think Kite is a much better prop. Everything he does is faster than King. He's more durable. He can create second phase play.

I don't know, I think we have made a huge mistake letting Kite go. If King appeared immobile and lumbering BEFORE last season, what is he going to be like NEXT season.

I also think he's just taking up a prospects spot now. Wouldn't Trbojevic, Sao or one of the other kids be better?

King had one decent season, and is an awesome club man, but really, is he any good on the field? Should have released him, and retained Kite imo.

Yes Kitey can play more minutes but i don't see how you can call him a dominant prop. He carries the ball well and defends his guts out but very rarely are other packs intimidated by him.

If King is fit, he takes it on himself to actually dominate and hurt the other big boppers in the opposition teams…if you want to see an example of it go back to the Manly v Dogs game at Brookevale oval in 2012. He put a huge shot on Kassiano and then minutes later got Graham as well….he loves the knuckle and will be the first to run in and grab someone when it gets heated out there….yes gives away some penalties but so does Choc and Gifty...

Ultimately he adds the size to our team which i actually think we need for 2014 considering we lose Joe, Rose, Gower…having also lost Trex, Lussick previously, we don't really have any real big intimidators in the forwards….

He just adds the aggression which is what front rowers need to have and i think he can set a decent platform for the younger guys coming through as well…not to say Kitey couldn't either as he was also a great clubman.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6