Jason king gone for the season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I always thought BK was a great player, but to be honest I thought he was a crock when we bought him.

BK (until recently) has been my favourite all time Sea Eagle. He just signaled a change in the fortunes we'd been having in the post Super League era. He has however slipped to no.2 (behind JAMIE!!!)

lsz said:
Question for those wanting King to retire

What are you basing this on? Before he was injured his output was as good as any of our front row.

Should we not afford him the opportunity of coming back? Who know how effective he might be

He has had multiple surgery on the same shoulder and his pectorals re-attached.
But he is no Matai who can play with bung shoulders :-/

Kingy also has a lucrative legal career to pursue.

Thanks for the memories Kingy, now bring on the next Manly Star :angel:

We cant afford to carry so many players who don't play the majority of a season. King,Galuvao,Wolfman,Gift,Snake,Matai have all had extended layoffs the last few years and it is costing us. Joe gone , King and Wolf the next ones to go.We need some youth for succession planning being given a go.

We think we've got injury concerns. A list of injured players from AFL clubs was just published and each club had 7-10 players out. It seems they get hurt more often than RL players.

HappilyManly said:
lsz said:
Question for those wanting King to retire

What are you basing this on? Before he was injured his output was as good as any of our front row.

Should we not afford him the opportunity of coming back? Who know how effective he might be

He has had multiple surgery on the same shoulder and his pectorals re-attached.
But he is no Matai who can play with bung shoulders :-/

Kingy also has a lucrative legal career to pursue.

Thanks for the memories Kingy, now bring on the next Manly Star :angel:

How many operations has Tate had? 3 knee reco's?

It is funny how the modern fan generally hates the lack of loyalty in the game (players moving clubs....just look at the reaction to T-Rex leaving) as yet here we have, arguably, one of the finest recent clubman not being afforded the opportunity to go out on his own terms - or at least the chance to see how he would go post comeback.

Yes if he struggles in his comeback then have a chat with him about his options etc but cutting him now? I just think it is a rough call on someone who deserves the chance to come back

I personally don't think it's got anything to do with whether he 'deserves' it. I reckon we need him. Kite, Joe & probably Rose gone, that is over 600 games of NRL engine room experience. Compare with Lawrence, Sao, Starling... we'll need experience.

If King comes back next year I think he will struggle which will not be good to see. Opposition teams seem to target him more effectively but again he has not being in peak condition for a couple of years now. Injured or recovering from injury.
Kingy was one of those players that got us out of the the dark ages after the Northern Eagles debacle. Our resurgence was partly built off his back.
For that he is entitled to leave on his own terms and deserves respect from all!

Red Pill said:
If King comes back next year I think he will struggle which will not be good to see. Opposition teams seem to target him more effectively but again he has not being in peak condition for a couple of years now. Injured or recovering from injury.
Kingy was one of those players that got us out of the the dark ages after the Northern Eagles debacle. Our resurgence was partly built off his back.
For that he is entitled to leave on his own terms and deserves respect from all!

If he does struggle next year it will be a bitter pill to swallow for all involved.

I wouldn't be too concerned about him not being up to it

Was surprised earlier in the year, can't remember who said it though unfortunately, but there was a forward being interviewed on a show and when asked who the toughest man they play against is, they had no hesitation in saying Jason King

Kiwi Eagle said:
I wouldn't be too concerned about him not being up to it

Was surprised earlier in the year, can't remember who said it though unfortunately, but there was a forward being interviewed on a show and when asked who the toughest man they play against is, they had no hesitation in saying Jason King

King always runs straight at the defender, not to the gap or even their shoulder. always means you are up for a contest.

Just to put something out there to those who want King to retire; why would he?

He has absolutely no reason to walk away from money that is owed to him, no reason at all. On the other side of the coin, why would Manly pay him out? Spunking all that money away on a player you can't even use would be terrible management.

Hope the Kingdog comes back & has a massive year.

Deserves another year. Been one of our leaders for a few years now and always gives his all for the maroon and white. Always good to see him challenging the oppositions big names when he has got up a head of steam.

Wolfpack said:
Just to put something out there to those who want King to retire; why would he?

He has absolutely no reason to walk away from money that is owed to him, no reason at all. On the other side of the coin, why would Manly pay him out? Spunking all that money away on a player you can't even use would be terrible management.

Hope the Kingdog comes back & has a massive year.

The players union recently forged an agreement for the players regarding this issue.Not sure if it affects existing contracts signed previously.

The new agreement allows kingy to take 100% of his 2014 contract without taking the field, where the old contract only ensured 25% I think.I think there was a 6 game minimum in place to be paid 100% before that

Id like to see king recover and play though. He is a massive part of our aggression game and plays with anger and purpose. His last few years especially have been massive for the eagles and is a worthy captain

Its one thing to imagine a new dog on the block up front when the seasoned guys get injured. I for one had one of kite/king going simply for renewal sake.

But if you look at any years overall performances in the forwards, our props have excelled in defense (control of the play the ball ruck) for quite some time and when I say controlled I mean shut down.

So we say lawrence/faaoso/-others including Sao/Trobjevic will take over etc, but do we factor in the all important defensive capabilities of the incumbants ?

TBH, I dont believe posters here do.

Be my guest and prove me wrong. The frontrow of K&K has been an iron clad, close round the ruck, defensive unit for so long, you might be shocked by what you get next.

Im very very open to new guys but suspect on what we get.

jbb/james said:
The players union recently forged an agreement for the players regarding this issue.Not sure if it affects existing contracts signed previously.

The new agreement allows kingy to take 100% of his 2014 contract without taking the field, where the old contract only ensured 25% I think.I think there was a 6 game minimum in place to be paid 100% before that

Wait? The players union did something effective???

Jatz Crackers said:
Im very very open to new guys.

Lol......

The King will be back and he will make the maroon jersey proud and prove all the sceptics wrong

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4