Jamil Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moondog said:
I doubt if the decision to sign with the Eels was his. He may have wanted them to sack him....

^ This. And I'd have him back as well. You need a bit of mongrel to be a gun forward IMO.

Can't see why we shouldn't give him a go. I always liked his dad in his playing days for us. he was unnecessarily rubbed out imo. If he doesn't take up any cap, then why not? And 'planking'? when was that a 'discretion'?

I actually remember watching John Hopoate coming through the junior grades at Manly and remained a fan of his until he gave up the game. A lot of his on field misbehaviour was exaggerated. He did a couple of serious incidents, such as flattening the Cronulla player and the stupid finger poking incident. But most of John's misdemeanours were niggling issues of other players, of officials etc. He wasnt such a 'bad boy' as promoted and for a time he was a very good footballer.

Lets face it, his business dealings since he left League have not been well considered and it was no doubt his influence that arranged the Parramatta deal as well as the strong Mormon influence being there. It wasnt disloyalty. It was just getting the best deal he could for his sons and himself. I seriously think if given a choice both of the Hopoate kids would have preferred to stay at Manly, because thats where their mates are, the main church, and both John and his third youngest son still play footie in lower and junior grades in the Manly area.

Jamil is somewhat reckless like his dad but he is a talented young footballer and realistically, as long as his public behaviour can be contained, he would be an asset to Manly. Problem is does Manly have the money left. They've just said 'no' to a Fijian prospect recommended by Johns. And it will be money that his father will be mindful of for his son and family. Its therefore probable that Canterbury or Wests would be in a position to take him on. But for mine, if Manly can afford the kid, I'd take him back. I suspect the paper talk about his 'problems' at Parra are hiding something not necessarily related to behaviour.

Given the age of our forward pack choc 28, gifty 29, kitey 31, matty ballin 28, jason king 30, Joe 34 we need to make room for him, I have no doubt manly will get first option but given our salary cap situation seems he would struggle to fit him, but would he be a 2nd tier contract not in top 25?

You watch, if jamil comes back and succeeds at manly, he'll be forever referred to by the tele as "former eel jamil hopoate"

DSM5 said:
Can't see why we shouldn't give him a go. I always liked his dad in his playing days for us. he was unnecessarily rubbed out imo. If he doesn't take up any cap, then why not? And 'planking'? when was that a 'discretion'?
Yes, and he's still very young. If someone continues to screw up well into adulthood that would be more of a gamble, but most kids make some mistake or other. Having said that, who knows what his 'indiscretion' was this time. Maybe serious, but we just don't know.

Given the age of ALL the other guys we have bought this year, I'd say farewell to the Hopoate family.You have made your bed.

Rugny Union has a nice mormon feel to it. Your ethics should be welcome over there.

Hoppa snr has shown that the dollar rules when it comes to his sons. Taking Jamil back would only see the same result play out in a couple of years if he contains his off field issues and kicks on. The same will likely hold for the next son currently in the junior rep squad.
Unless we become a desperate club we don't need to be a part of this crap.

And before this rolls into a "nothing wrong with doing the best for your self and family" thread, spare me the violins. There's more to this than missing a rookie camp presentation. A big no to welcoming Jamil back and I'm comfortable if the Hopoate name isn't seen in a Manly first grade jersey again.

Matabele said:
John Hopoate owes Manly more than just about any player in the history of the club.

Hopefully then he will pay us back by staying away.

And Bradza u are 100% correct....its not just this one issue, but it helped them make their mind uip on him.

Masked Eagle said:
I'd have Will back!
I still reckon Will will end up at the dogs with Des,because after he signed with Parra,it wasnt long after that when Hussler signed with the dogs,he said,if he would have known Des was going to the dogs,he would have signed there first,so watch for the dogs to start circling Will when he comes back and get into his ear,saying he is unhappy there,and he wants a release,like they did with parrot ,sorry I mean Perret and in yours,again I am sorry,I meant Inu.Greenturd will be licking his lips right now

The reputed Eels $850k package deal blew Manly's bid totally out of the water. The bid seemed more to do with the ego of the CEO, and his desire to be seen as powerful, than any genuine assessment of market values. There was no real choice but for the Hopoates to go.

If Jamil is Gallen-like as reputed, and/or better than Will at junior level as reputed, we'd take him back in a heartbeat. It's a question of how much, how to juggle commitments, and how to rein in the beast within.

Rex said:
The reputed Eels $850k package deal blew Manly's bid totally out of the water. The bid seemed more to do with the ego of the CEO, and his desire to be seen as powerful, than any genuine assessment of market values. There was no real choice but for the Hopoates to go.

If Jamil is Gallen-like as reputed, and/or better than Will at junior level as reputed, we'd take him back in a heartbeat. It's a question of how much, how to juggle commitments, and how to rein in the beast within.

How do you think this development affects that package deal? I reckon they would have jacked up Jamil's contract so Will would count for less under the cap. There could be some interesting times at Parra...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7