Jamie Lyon v Michael O'Connor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
I have been watching a bit of video of Manly from the late 80's and early 90's.
As Jamie Lyon has already hit "Legend" status for Manly, does it diminish the on-field performances of O'Connor? O'Connor had been feted as one of our best, a class act and at a time when the centres played on the open side of the field, regardless if it was left or right hand side, which means once the halves let the ball go, it was up to the centres . I am sure I recall that he was referred to as the "prince of centres" and was a motivational captain.

How do some of the older supporters compare these two players?

O'Conner up there as one of my all time favourites, you can't really compare the two, centres back then were more like back rowers are today I guess.

In regards to his presence he and Lyon had very similar demeaners on the field.

Watching Snoz make a wide running break down the left hand edge at brookie was an awesome site.

I personally think comparing the two is an injustice to each, let's just say they were both legend player and captains cut from the same cloth

Killer is more of a Team player, whilst Snoz had the same footy talent, he couldn't lift others who were having an off day.

Snoz and Killer have similar technical skills but Killer also has the people skills IMO.

Both served Manly well, but Snoz blew it with the Manly Fans with his Super League caper :cool:

Just two of many great centres to wear manly colours. O'Conner was faster and moved with silky speed but IMO not as tough as Lyon and Jamie is a better leader on the paddock.

Snoz by a Nose ?
No not really. Both great goal kickers but OConnor had the disadvantage of the older style balls. He was incredibly fast and knew how to capitalise on a line break. Scored some beautiful tries. Was an ex Dragons, ex Rugby Union centre and one of MWSE's best acquisitions.
Who would you rather have in a crisis?: Killer. Who would you prefer to leap high and win the match? Killer.
Who would you rather have at FB on a sunny Sunday arvo when Manly are already winning ? Snoz.

Both players are wonderfully talented.

I would go for Killer cause of his longevity, his leadership and he is the heart of the team.

Snoz was brilliant to watch and his chip chase tries live in the memory.

We have been so lucky down the years.

Two great centres. Killer has the edge on Snoz in defense, Jamie is one of the best in the business in that department. Hard to split them in attack, slightly different styles. Snoz may be a touch more elusive, but Killer has the better all round passing game. Snoz the better goal kicker of the two.

I'd have both in my legends side, but O'Connor would be on the wing.

I was pretty young when O'Connor was around so I may not be doing him justice, but every time I see Killer on or off the field I have a special sense of pride that he plays for Manly. I don't remember quite the same feeling with O'Connor.

Quite simply. I have more respect for Jamie Lyon than any other football player currently playing. He is the ultimate role model and embodies all you could ever want in a captain and player. A total class act.

I was surprised when I found out O'Connors book was about football and not sexuality.
It was the second paragraph.

I remember a lot of O'Connor as an impressionable youngster, and he had a grace and poise about him. The word class just summed him up as a player.

Jamie is just an all round footballer. The thing to me that sets Killer apart is the time he spent at 5/8. Which developed his kicking game and his passing game. I have watched old Parra games with Killer there, and he had great speed and was very elusive.....not a lot of passing skills, and nil kicking skills. Killer is widely regarded as the best defensive centre in the game (for the last 5 years), and in the top 1 or 2 attacking wise. When a try is on for his winger, the winger will score. When the play calls for Killer to score or run it, that's what he'll do. When the play comes to Killer on tackle 5 he does lovely deft little kicks that will find the touchline 5m out, or the ingoal and put pressure on the opposition.

Put simply if Jamie had've played rep footy consistently since 2007 he would be regarded as the best centre of the last 30 years, and would be spoken about in that top echelon of players.

Go back and rewatch games in 2008, there was plenty of criticism of Killer at 5/8. He then got injured leading into the semis and suddenly everyone realized how well he had been playing, and how much pressure he took off Ox. He got Man of the Match in the PF against the Warriors that year, and did more kicking in the GF against the Storm than Ox did.

And another thing.....2 or 3 years ago you wouldn't see Killer make too many hitups from his own end. He has started doing a lot more of that.'

A true team man. And an even better bloke (although I've only met him once).

Speed - Snoz
Defence - Killer
Goal Kicking - Killer (only just)
Leadership - Killer

In short, I'd have both in my team any day.....just with Killer in the centres and Snoz on the wing.

I was too young to see O'Connor play, but I can comment on Jamie Lyon...

He is the most genuine footballer I have ever seen. He has all the skills; speed, step, pass, kick, and tackle. He does all the 1% plays with 100% commitment. He is never selfish, he is always encouraging, and he is the greatest leader of men I have witnessed in sporting circles. I cannot wrap this guy enough...he is an absolute champion, and he is our champion!

Only Foran and Ballin come close to putting in anywhere near the effort of this guy week in week out.

Game has changed so much. O'Connor was more of your classic centre but Killer would touch the ball more times in a game these days then Snoz would touch in 5.

My favourite Snoz moment was a game against the Dragons where of all things we got involved in a kicking duel. Snoz picked the ball up on halfway, ran sideways stepped through the first line came to the fullback and put another huge step on.

Killer though has just more strings to his bow. People underestimate his speed. He probably isn't as quick as his younger days but at his best he was really quick. I think he sets ups his outside men better and plays a vital role in team plays. In picking our best ever side Killer edges Snoz IMO with Bozo the other centre because Cliffy is my no 6.

Masked Eagle said:
Game has changed so much. O'Connor was more of your classic centre but Killer would touch the ball more times in a game these days then Snoz would touch in 5.

My favourite Snoz moment was a game against the Dragons where of all things we got involved in a kicking duel. Snoz picked the ball up on halfway, ran sideways stepped through the first line came to the fullback and put another huge step on.

Killer though has just more strings to his bow. People underestimate his speed. He probably isn't as quick as his younger days but at his best he was really quick. I think he sets ups his outside men better and plays a vital role in team plays. In picking our best ever side Killer edges Snoz IMO with Bozo the other centre because Cliffy is my no 6.

Ahhh I remember that one, was a classic "You know what, stuff this kicking dual stuff"

His conversion in the pouring rain at origin was pretty special

I well remember the fine centre combination of Gartner and O'Connor. They were top line centres and deserve the accolades of Manly fans. But I think the Matai-Lyon combination is the more effective combination. No where near as fast as Gartner and O'Connor, but far more effective, better defensively and much more involved in the game.

As for O'Connor vs Lyon, I think Lyon is the better all round footballer. He didnt have O'Connors flair and speed, but he is a far better defender and has a unique ability to sniff out an opportunity and is also a much better link man. As goal kickers they are about on par.

Who could ever forget Snoz hurdling that window at the back of the Gold Coast dressing room in 1995. Now that was grace under pressure.!

From the little footage I've seen of Reg Gasnier, Snoz would be the closest thing to him in broken field running. He juust glided over the turf. I'd still take Jamie's complete package any day of the week.

Snoz was a very very very good centre, but your comparing him to the most complete centre I've seen in 50 years.

O'Conner was an absolute joy to watch. One of the most graceful running styles I've seen and a top class goal kicker. Lyon, as others have mentioned is just the complete footballer. Not quite as good a runner of the ball, or goal kicker, but better defender, leader and just tougher.

I'll use the Waugh twins as an analogy, Mark was the most graceful batsman I've seen, but when you needed someone to come up with a big innings, it was Steve all the way.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6