Jamie Lyon: Manly's Fittest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Jamie Lyon has bolted out of the blocks at pre-season training to shock Manly’s incoming head of physical performance Dan Ferris by blitzing the first couple of days of testing.

Lyon, 33, struggled through 2014 with “niggly” ankle injuries but the skipper looks to have overcome them nicely for early bragging rights as the Sea Eagles’ fittest man.

“We did some testing on Monday and we did some testing (on Tuesday) and probably the standout I thought in the testing was Jamie Lyon,” Ferris told foxsports.com.au.

“He actually won the backs testing, which I thought was great for our captain and showed he was keen and ready to go.”

Lyon’s not one to draw attention to himself and he made it clear there’ll be no excuses for him to have a below par pre-season.

“I didn’t need (surgery) in the end,” Lyon told foxsports.com.au.

“I had a few niggly ankle injuries last year that were flaring up. They’re all pretty much healed up now and I’m ready to go.”

Prediction: Gonna see 13 of these bad boys this season from Jamie: (I'm pumped)
771945-tigers-vs-eagles.jpg

Bring on the two year contract extension !!

At 33 Jamie needs to look after his body. Good to see he is in top shape. Hopefully that will help him get through the season with minimal time off. Sadly, I still think this is his last season.

At 33 Jamie needs to look after his body. Good to see he is in top shape. Hopefully that will help him get through the season with minimal time off. Sadly, I still think this is his last season.
Yes 100%. The older you get the less margin for error there is with things outside your football skillset or talent. Things like fitness and conditioning need to be a top priority.

There is a reason Kelly Slater kicked on into his 40's and that's because he looks after himself better than a lot of guys on tour. Ditto Mick Fanning as he gets older.

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
I think we need to stop retiring Killer at the end of this season.
He'll know when it's time.
Seems to be a lot of deathriding here and I still think it was him switching on when Tooves was given the arse that got us as close to the finals as we did after a horror injury year.
He's one of the few players I'd back to know within himself exactly when to retire.

Killers a champion. Him being fully fit can only be good for us. But not so sure I am that happy Killer won the 2km time trial.

A 33 year old who is certainly not lighting quick, usually carries a little bit of pud and does it well because he is such a classy natural footballer.

As much as Killer being the fittest he has been in a while is great news, it also highlight our lightning quick winger either aren't that fast or aren't that fit;-(. Welcome Ferris No 2.

Killers a champion. Him being fully fit can only be good for us. But not so sure I am that happy Killer won the 2km time trial.

A 33 year old who is certainly not lighting quick, usually carries a little bit of pud and does it well because he is such a classy natural footballer.

As much as Killer being the fittest he has been in a while is great news, it also highlight our lightning quick winger either aren't that fast or aren't that fit;-(. Welcome Ferris No 2.

I actually think in his hey day Killer could have done well at the 400m. He's never quite had the speed of Brett Stewart ( would loved to have seen him run a competitive 100m), but has a real natural style that I think could have seen him be a decent 400m runner.

As for our wingers, I'd prefer tommy t to be killing it over the 100m rather than the 2km.

I do find it hard to believe that Lyons the fittest guy in the place.

To be honest, it makes me think Manly is basically 1 big unfit club.
I think the 2km is the key here.

Last edited:

Maybe Killer is not the fittest but has the biggest heart.

Or alternatively we could be positive about it, and assume that Killer has managed to beat the niggles that plagued him last year and then trained the house down in the off season. So he's turned up at pre-season training fit, healthy, motivated and keen as hell to prove a point and banish the memories of last year.

At the end of last year Killer was really finding some form. Let's hope he smokes them all next year ;)

33 isn't old it's how you look after yourself. Christ I could still crack 140 klms with a cricket ball at 38 years of age. Killer has a big heart and if he plays on we will all know he is fit enough. He is not the sort of bloke that would play on if his body couldn't stand it and let the boys down.

to true. I know a 38 year old whos doctor told him he would never run again after a serious knee injury just 3 years ago. 6 months ago he completed a 100km race in just over 16 hours.

Have a good run with those old age niggles and you can be as fit as you have ever been in your 30's generally with far greater stamina as well

There is a reason Kelly Slater kicked on into his 40's and that's because he looks after himself better than a lot of guys on tour. Ditto Mick Fanning as he gets older.

....and they aren't trying to tackle or being belted by 115kg monsters.
.....although Fanning did play well against the SA Sharks.

Well, he is the captain.

Maybe all the backs just jogged along behind him!?!? :giggle::giggle:

I implore all of you to get out to as many games this season and cheer on the great Jamie Lyon just in case this is his last season in the NRL. He is a marvel, a magnificent player, captain and person. We have been so lucky to have him lead our great club for such a long time! I hope he kills it this year and plays on, but if he doesn't, I want to make sure I didn't take him for granted! Absolute champion!

I implore all of you to get out to as many games this season and cheer on the great Jamie Lyon just in case this is his last season in the NRL. He is a marvel, a magnificent player, captain and person. We have been so lucky to have him lead our great club for such a long time! I hope he kills it this year and plays on, but if he doesn't, I want to make sure I didn't take him for granted! Absolute champion!
Brilliant post @Snake I think he is someone that we have just seen as a cornerstone of our Champion Team of the last decade and have almost at times thought it would go on forever. When we were putting the pieces together of this team around 03, 04 and 05 you could see that we were building towards being a formidable team. One that would be in the top 8 and could push into week 2 or 3 of the semis, but there was something missing. In 06 when news came through we'd signed Jamie Lyon I remember saying to my brother in law 'the missing piece has arrived!'. I was just so excited to hear the news as you could just see that it meant a premiership was a possibility. And wow, has he delivered or has he delivered. He walks straight into our Greatest Ever Team and in my absolutely biased eyes is the greatest centre of the last 30 years (I can't say before then). Plus he is as Snake says just a top bloke.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2