Jamie Lyon Eyes Saints Return

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/09/02/17/RUGBYL_Manly_Nightlead.html

LYON EYES SAINTS RETURN

Lyon - keen on a Super League comeback.

Former St Helens favourite Jamie Lyon has targeted a return to Super League - with Knowsley Road his preferred destination.
Lyon enjoyed an honour-laden spell during his two years at Saints, winning the 2006 Grand Final, the Challenge Cup and a Man of Steel award.

A strike rate of 46 tries in 63 games secured him hero status among Saints fans before leaving for Manly Sea Eagles, who he helped to the National Rugby League title last year.

Back in the UK for the world club challenge match against Leeds on March 1, Lyon is looking forward to a lengthier stay in two years' time.
"I had a great time here. I won a couple of awards and Saints won a couple of titles too," said the 27-year-old.

"I really enjoyed it and definitely want to come back. I've got two more years at Manly but after that I'll look at returning to Super League.
"I'd have a preference for Saints because they were good to me and the fans were unreal."

Lyon is confident he will not become a victim of the new visa regulations that have prevented several Australians from fulfilling contracts with Super League clubs.

Visa applications from five players are believed to have been rejected on grounds of past criminal convictions, speeding fines and a series of assault charges awaiting trial.

"The visas are quite a talking point in Australia. It's bit of a headache having signed a contract but getting through," said Lyon.
"A lot of Aussies come over here but they're obviously toughening it up a bit. There's nothing to stop me coming over though!"

Australia may have a stranglehold on rugby league but the world club challenge offers some refuge for British fans searching for bragging rights.
The Super League has supplied 11 of the 16 winning teams with Australians having to cast their minds back to 2003 for their last success in the fixture.

Six years ago Sydney Roosters thumped Saints 38-0 and their city rivals will be looking to follow suit with Manly emulating their strategy of coming over two weeks before the match to acclimatise.
In the past NRL teams have pitched up a few days before the game and paid the price but with a warm-up fixture scheduled against Harlequins on Sunday, lack of preparation should not be a concern for the Sea Eagles.
"I'm looking forward to this one. Australian teams haven't fared very well in the competition but hopefully we'll do better," said Lyon.
"There's always a lot of rivalry between Australia and England, we always want to get one over them and hopefully that will happen this time.
"When I was playing in Super League Leeds were always tough and well drilled. They've got some great players.

"With the addition of a couple of players from Australia they're looking very strong.
"Danny Buderus is a champion player and a champion bloke to. He's very smart around the rucks so we're going to have to watch him.
"Leeds start as favourites. It's in their back yard and they have a couple of games under their belt.

"We sneaked under the radar a bit last year to win the NRL title so we don't mind being underdogs."

Hopefully a 19 / 20 year old Hopoate may be able to slot straight in. I think he will be huge.

I wish that manly win the next two premierships and make it impossible for lyon to go anywhere...

I would like to see Jamie Lyon stay with the Sea Eagles for as long as possible.? I think there's been talk about him before wanting to finish his footy back in the ESL competition.

I'd love to see him stay but players come and players go.  To ESL would be acceptable.  By the way, I've been asked by a workmate who is in a tipping comp who's doing our goal kicking this year.  I'd assumed Orford, but does anyone know who's going to kick for us this season?

I had thoughts about what would keep him here longer term. Would he make a decent captain when Ox goes lads?

That then begs the questions, does the captaincy have the same esteem it used to?

The only reason Lyon came back was because of Cleal. Now he's won a premiership he is definitely headed back to UK to finish off.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6