James Roberts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Roberts would be insane if he went to the eels. He just got his career back in order. What would be the point of ruining it again.

He's getting smart advice if the people around him are telling him to go to the Broncos under Wayne Bennet.

It stinks that the donkeys who already have a near origin team at their disposable get this kid for next to nothing it seems. Always helps when you get a media organisation owning you, oh well!

I'd say their odds would go up not down with Roberts there. His defense is poor, nothing like the retired hodges.

It stinks that the donkeys who already have a near origin team at their disposable get this kid for next to nothing it seems. Always helps when you get a media organisation owning you, oh well!
They'll be dropping the yellow and white off their playing strip soon and picking up XXXX as sponsors..

Not sure James Roberts signing with any team would cause me to put my hard earned on them. He has pace, lots of it, but nothing else.

I think it's the best move for his career.
It normally bores me right out when every signing has a salary cap comment attached to it but In their case, I can't help but wonder how the Broncos continue to sign players up under value when Bennetts running the show.
As I said, smart move by Roberts though and it gives NSW a better chance of seeing him represent one day. His defence seems to be marginally exaggerated on here even if it's considered his weakest attribute. Besides the bonco's had incredible defence last year so hopefully for Robert's sake it's a simple system to fall into.

They'll be dropping the yellow and white off their playing strip soon and picking up XXXX as sponsors..

That would be ironic considering it was a sponsorship conflict involving XXXX that saw them move from Lang Park to QEII before the 1993 season started (the Donkeys were sponsored by Powers brewery but the QRL and Lang Park Trust had an iron clad deal to have XXXX signs all over the ground).

And I can't argue with what people here have been saying. Sure Roberts is fast, one of if not the fastest in the NRL currently (though I laugh at some clowns on FB who claim he is faster than Ken Irvine was).....but the bloke can't tackle to save himself. The Monday night game when we thrashed the Tits late this year we made him look silly in defense.

I think it's the best move for his career.
It normally bores me right out when every signing has a salary cap comment attached to it but In their case, I can't help but wonder how the Broncos continue to sign players up under value when Bennetts running the show.
As I said, smart move by Roberts though and it gives NSW a better chance of seeing him represent one day. His defence seems to be marginally exaggerated on here even if it's considered his weakest attribute. Besides the bonco's had incredible defence last year so hopefully for Robert's sake it's a simple system to fall into.
The "salary cap" comments after every signing is the simple mans argument.The 2 clubs busted for cheating,Storm and Dogs,were never expected by the public and was a major surprise to all.Now if Broncos or Manly,who are regularly being questioned about their cap,are indeed cheating don't you think they'd be a little more discreet about their dealings rather than going out and buying players of top shelf quality?People need to do a bit of thinking.Broncos have a huge advantage with their 3rd party deals,they don't have Hodges,Barba,Vidot,Dodds or Kennedy on their books next yr and fair chance 1 or 2 more backs will move on now.Whilst James Roberts has potential,he hasn't played rep footy yet and has really only played one good season.If potential was a pre requisite for paying plenty,how can Manly pay the Trbojevic's the right money?

Last edited:
The "salary cap" comments after every signing is the simple mans argument.The 2 clubs busted for cheating,Storm and Dogs,were never expected by the public and was a major surprise to all.Now if Broncos or Manly,who are regularly being questioned about their cap,are indeed cheating don't you think they'd be a little more discreet about their dealings rather than going out and buying players of top shelf quality?People need to do a bit of thinking.Broncos have a huge advantage with their 3rd party deals,they don't have Hodges,Barba,Vidot,Dodds or Kennedy on their books next yr and fair chance 1 or 2 more backs will move on now.Whilst James Roberts has potential,he hasn't played rep footy yet and has really only played one good season.If potential was a pre requisite for paying plenty,how can Manly pay the Trbojevic's the right money?[/QUOTE
I agree Nordburg, I'll further add that my exception to the Bronco's was more so eluding to the fact that they often appear to sign players for less than other teams were offering aswell as less than 'market value'.
Whilst other teams have tried the same thing for e.g Parra- Izzy or Bunnies- Burgess. Some teams are knocked back by the NRL until they come up with an amount the cap auditors can agree with. Even if large sectors of league land consider him over rated, there were some strong clubs vying for his services. The lack of transparency is what creates an easy segway for people to question every new signing but I wish people didn't overly fuss over contracts dollars. I hypocritically commented on the Bronco's here but I promise it's not normally in my nature to get caught up in that.
If I had it my way we would rarely hear complaints about the refs and how much 'x' player is earning

Apparently the guy is going to Brisbane for around 250k of the cap which is not much. I don't want to come across as defending the Broncos but two things...
1. Prior to 2015, they weren't going too well and a lot of people were questioning their roster...they excelled last year and that boosts the value of players in their squad when deals are up for re-negotiating...so given that's the case, most clubs feel the cap squeeze one to two years after success, rather than straight away. The Roosters won the competition in 2013 and we are only now seeing their premiership window close just slightly.
2. It's not a myth that players like to play under Wayne Bennett and are attracted to a club like the Broncos who have everything going for them...that's how they snag talent cheap.
I don't like Brisbane and it's a shame that the poor Titans have lost talent to their much fancied big brother but they did forge a signature and Roberts has a right to play for Brisbane if he wants to.

Yeah the transparency is the issue as far as fans are concerned but I suppose it is none of our business.But fair chance if we knew what went down in the GStewart situation there would be a lot less angst amongst members.Why his contract was not accepted by NRL and others were confuses many

The "salary cap" comments after every signing is the simple mans argument.The 2 clubs busted for cheating,Storm and Dogs,were never expected by the public and was a major surprise to all.Now if Broncos or Manly,who are regularly being questioned about their cap,are indeed cheating don't you think they'd be a little more discreet about their dealings rather than going out and buying players of top shelf quality?People need to do a bit of thinking.Broncos have a huge advantage with their 3rd party deals,they don't have Hodges,Barba,Vidot,Dodds or Kennedy on their books next yr and fair chance 1 or 2 more backs will move on now.Whilst James Roberts has potential,he hasn't played rep footy yet and has really only played one good season.If potential was a pre requisite for paying plenty,how can Manly pay the Trbojevic's the right money?
I agree: but don't forget Andrew Gee quitting so as to avoid any questions re the mystery $300k they were allegedly in a spot of bother over..

Can't really hate on TPA's. I saw a guy in Davidson tonight checking out the Chrissie lights with his fam - covered head to toe in Nike. Apparently this guys contract is for around 1.4M a season but God bless Nike for the big chunk of that they're tipping in. His actual cap hit would be well below the 1.4.

Btw said player looked in very good shape.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6