I've had a gutful of State of Origin and it's still a week away.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Am I the only one who believes in the completely true but borderline conspiracy theory that SOO is put on entirely for Queensland. Look at the facts.
  • It was started by Queenslanders who had a complex about QLD players playing in Sydney based teams.
  • Queensland get to basically pick anyone they want to play for them whilst New South Wales jump through hoops to do the same.
  • Queensland get at least a few unbelievably dodgy calls go their way each year that always defy belief.
  • As a result QLD always win, which creates this embarrassing folk lore about the "Queensland Spirit" Which having lived up there, I'm pretty sure is just a cocktail of the worst things about Australia (Bigotry, Nationalism and drunkeness). I'm seriously sick to death of hearing about the Queensland Spirit.
All this explains why QLD take SOO way more serious than NSW. No one in NSW could really care less (I know theres a few morons in wigs but I'm generalising), whilst Queensland live and breathe it.

Honestly, I'm not looking to offend anyone (although I'm probably going to get a few troll votes from QLD'ers) but I think if you look at it objectively, you'll find its a pretty moronic concept. That and have you ever noticed that the most annoying people you know are the ones who get most excited about it?

Last edited:
Surely, no one believes the players really foster the same hatred as the fans do, do they? If you do, you're kidding yourself. The players enjoy the SOO experience immensely. They enjoy the opportunity to play a really high intensity game of footy against the best players the game has to offer. As for Queenslanders being bigots, nationalists and drunkards as a whole, well, I can tell you first hand, I have copped it on here from the most moronic, dullard, f**kwits, for no other reason than I make it obvious I'm from Queensland. Sadly, that is just a part of the human condition. As far as NSW vs Qld goes, the amount of dip****, tosser fans is 50/50.

Here is a great example of how shallowly the "hatred" between players from opposing States runs. After an origin game in the late 90's, Jason Hetherington ran into Andrew Johns while leaving the stadium. Joey was complaining that Tooheys had not put any beer into the blues change rooms for after the game. XXXX on the other hand had loaded the Qld sheds. Hetherington had also loaded up his bag with cans before heading for the bus. On hearing Joey's plight, they put both their bags down, cracked a can of XXXX each from Hetherington's bag, and then proceeded to divide up the contents between them. No hatred whatsoever. This story is from Jason's mouth direct.

It is the media and the more than narrow minded fans that create and gobble up the bullsh1t "hatred". Amongst the players, it doesn't exist. They are happy to play the game, get the bonus and receive the recognition of being a worthy player.

Both States have more than their fair share of bogans. My only gripe is the timing of the games. Maybe run it at the end of the season proper?

alright @mozgrame, you make some good points and i have to say your right, except for the 50/50 part. No one can say that there isn't more weirdos in Queensland than NSW. From what i understand, even with a labour Government, There is still a gay panic law in Queensland. Basically means you can kill a gay person for coming onto you. All part of that famous Queensland spirit i guess. Also the SOO being rigged part still stands. In saying that I'm half joking around as I love taking the mickey out of our QLD brothers. Any QLD supporters of Manly on the forum, I'm proud to share a love of this great club with you. Go Manly!

No idea what you're talking about in regards to killing a gay person. I only know a couple of gay people, and they are great people. They don't hit on people at random, and I, and most Qld'rs that I know wouldn't expect them to. If SOO was rigged, what the hell happened last year? LOL!

For the record, I love everyone that supports Manly! That includes you @Ryan

GO MANLY!!!

Am I the only one who believes in the completely true but borderline conspiracy theory that SOO is put on entirely for Queensland. Look at the facts.
  • It was started by Queenslanders who had a complex about QLD players playing in Sydney based teams.
  • Queensland get to basically pick anyone they want to play for them whilst New South Wales jump through hoops to do the same.
  • Queensland get at least a few unbelievably dodgy calls go their way each year that always defy belief.
  • As a result QLD always win, which creates this embarrassing folk lore about the "Queensland Spirit" Which having lived up there, I'm pretty sure is just a cocktail of the worst things about Australia (Bigotry, Nationalism and drunkeness). I'm seriously sick to death of hearing about the Queensland Spirit.
All this explains why QLD take SOO way more serious than NSW. No one in NSW could really care less (I know theres a few morons in wigs but I'm generalising), whilst Queensland live and breathe it.

Honestly, I'm not looking to offend anyone (although I'm probably going to get a few troll votes from QLD'ers) but I think if you look at it objectively, you'll find its a pretty moronic concept. That and have you ever noticed that the most annoying people you know are the ones who get most excited about it?
I have always found it weird that whenever a game is moved to Melbourne it happens when nsw are due to host 2 games. I'm on board with your conspiracy.

@mozgrame

http://theconversation.com/queensland-still-failing-to-act-on-a-medieval-murder-defence-40584

Not accusing all Queenslanders of being like this, But the fact that its taken so long for this conversation means the state has let itself down on this one. It's one of many reasons QLD'ers are easy targets for jokes by NSW.

As for last year, well, one out of 13 is barely a case for an even rivalry. I still recall some very dodgy decisions in favour of QLD aswell. @NewwyEagle brought up another good point of bias towards QLD. You won't convince me that SOO isn't by QLD, for QLD.

Definitely can't meet you on the 50/50 share of dropkick bogans Moz.
Whilst I don't dispute that NSW has its fair share, Qld has basically contrived an entire state identity on the bases of boganity and redneckedness.

My main interest in SOO is to watch the morons cry. Particularly those in the stands but also those on the field. It's not about NSW winning so much as Qld losing for me. How dare they compete with us.

Then again, that's how I feel about club football. There's nothing better than some scumbag Parra or Penriff supporter having his shallow heart broken, yet again, just when he thought life may have brought him something to cheer about.

The truth is that if you sat down with the specific intention of creating the most divisive concept you could possibly dream up, you would come up with the SOO concept.

Qld may have more bogans, however NSW has the Parra and Canterbury supporters so if say it's fairly even when it comes to dickheads

image.jpg

Origin is an over hype bore fest, they have the same crappy news paper articles each year (Insert X team is too old with pictures of them with walking frames) or (insert ex origin "legend" talking **** about X State) It's the same old crap rehashed every year.

The fact the NRL has been SMS spamming me about $50 tickets to origin up to and including yesterday says alot about interest.

Insert tonight, flick on channel 9 with a high shot of phil ghould somewhere at ANZ stadium zooming in on him as he spouts about it being the ultimate gladiators arena and the pinacle of the game, followed by a panel of ex qld and nsw reliving X moment from an origin past.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz could care less, only thing i would be interested in knowing if a key player was injured and manly plays them whilst the origin injury takes its toll.

Over 9 not showing the footy in HD. Looking forward to the game actually. Hopefully NSW sneak away with a win

• As a result QLD always win, which creates this embarrassing folk lore about the "Queensland Spirit" Which having lived up there, I'm pretty sure is just a cocktail of the worst things about Australia (Bigotry, Nationalism and drunkeness).
You had me until you started criticising drunkenness.

The truth is that if you sat down with the specific intention of creating the most divisive concept you could possibly dream up, you would come up with the SOO concept.
Or the indiginous all stars could run close under a Howard govt.

Yes it is overdone (the coverage) but you can not fault the quality of the game. Year in year out the best games you will see are generally the origin games - an example was the last 20 minutes of game 2 last year where nsw hung in to win

A heap of us on here long for the days of old school footy, for me state of o is the closest I can get....and...come on you blues!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4