Ivan Cleary supposedly meets with "influential" manly figure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
The lurker reporting this rumour. Make of it you will. Sounds like a whole lot of 'assumptions' to me, which journos love to feed off.

Cleary set for northern beaches homecoming

League’s hottest rumour is about to get a whole lot more interesting after a secret meeting involving Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.

I heard whispers last week that the Sea Eagles are chasing Cleary to replace embattled coach Geoff Toovey and just dismissed it as one of the many hundreds of rumours doing the rounds.

But when one of my spies spotted Cleary and a very influential Manly figure deep in conversation at a coffee shop on Sydney’s north shore last week, it suddenly took on a whole new meaning.

Cleary is a northern beaches boy, having grown up in the Manly area, but after debuting for the Sea Eagles, went on to Norths, the Roosters and Warriors in a successful career in the centres.

As a coach, he has been a standout, overachieving with both the Warriors and Panthers over the past nine years.

He is regarded as one of the most astute coaches in the game, leading the Warriors to a grand final and an injury-plagued Penrith to within a game of the big one last season.

Although he is loved in the Manly area, Toovey is a dead man walking.

The poor results this season, coupled with the departures of star halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran - largely because they feel the need for more astute coaching methods - has convinced Manly that a change is necessary.

After scouting the field, the Sea Eagles see Cleary as the best man for the job and after three years at the Warriors, Cleary may see the time as right to make a change.

Watch this space…

Last edited:
I've always regarded Arthur and Henry as the top of the tree in regard to "astute" coaches. The way in which their teams continually dump sht on their supporters is the most astute performance of any team.

The Lurker is just repeating what Buzz wrote yesterday. Cleary 2 coach us and Barrett 2 be promoted at Penrith.

With Buzz and the Lurker reporting it I doubt it would happen.

Yeah right.
Let me get this straight, making the the top four for the past three seasons, was not good enough for DCE and Foran,left for better coaching methods?, what farking bull**** story is this?.
These farking so called journos have no story to write, so they just make one up, FFS.
Tooves dead man walking ? FMD.

If you wanted to have a secretive meeting about something like this, would you honestly conduct it at a public coffee shop (haha Kieran Foran excluded)? Besides, they probably caught up to discuss the potential release of Jamal Idris to us - which we have been told by these same Ironstines that we are getting (said with fullness of tongue in cheek).

Well, I say it is a rumour but if it comes to fruition I for one will be glad. I will not be happy if the club goes back to Ha$ler.

Don't get me wrong 2V is a great Manly champion that has bled for this club as a player and in his coaching he has given his all.

But I think (and it's just an opinion as I have nothing against 2V) he just doesn't seem to use his bench properly. I think playing 16 only or giving the 17 the last ten minutes is not right.

At the moment it is a game of 17 with astute replacements. Ha$ler used to do the same thing and it eventually has caught up with him just look at where the dogs are on the ladder. A bit above us for sure but only by two points. It seems like 2V has copied Ha$ler'$ style.

It just ain't working in today's game. And it is going to get harder when the number of interchanges are reduced.

The definition of stupidity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.

We should have won that one against the riff but we lost it. That to me is incomprehensible. We lost to a middle of the league team at the alleged 'Fortress Brookvale' after having it won in the first half. And I know the referees didn't help either as they cannot see a forward pass to save their lives.

The guys came out tired in the second half and tried to hang on and failed. That Tooves is a problem you are having this year. You need to change your approach and the only way I can see it happening is better bench rotation. Not the players on the bench but the astute placement of them into the game when needed. Maybe you need an assistant to handle the bench you seem very animated in the coaches box and I think you sometimes forget that aspect.

Sorry folks and also sorry Tooves. But just my opinion and I certainly do not know what I am talking about as I know nothing about the game. But something needs to change and I hope it isn't the coaching position of the head coach but a change in how he operates the team would seem appropriate at the moment.

Chez was renewing till the JoeKer came along - no issues with 2v at all

Foran on the other hand, has been agitating against 2v since 2014 - his judgement is flawed at best

Cleary fullfills all the criteria as a Manly Player who moves into coaching :clap:
More likely that the meeting was about players, rather than his coming home to Brookie

Lets just get back to footy, as this SOO break is booooring :lipssealed:

Here go another 500 hundred posts about Toovey...
Cleary would be a great future coach and we would be mad not to approach him.

The lurker reporting this rumour. Make of it you will. Sounds like a whole lot of 'assumptions' to me, which journo love to feed off.

Cleary set for northern beaches homecoming

League’s hottest rumour is about to get a whole lot more interesting after a secret meeting involving Panthers coach Ivan Cleary.

I heard whispers last week that the Sea Eagles are chasing Cleary to replace embattled coach Geoff Toovey and just dismissed it as one of the many hundreds of rumours doing the rounds.

But when one of my spies spotted Cleary and a very influential Manly figure deep in conversation at a coffee shop on Sydney’s north shore last week, it suddenly took on a whole new meaning.

Cleary is a northern beaches boy, having grown up in the Manly area, but after debuting for the Sea Eagles, went on to Norths, the Roosters and Warriors in a successful career in the centres.

As a coach, he has been a standout, overachieving with both the Warriors and Panthers over the past nine years.

He is regarded as one of the most astute coaches in the game, leading the Warriors to a grand final and an injury-plagued Penrith to within a game of the big one last season.

Although he is loved in the Manly area, Toovey is a dead man walking.

The poor results this season, coupled with the departures of star halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran - largely because they feel the need for more astute coaching methods - has convinced Manly that a change is necessary.

After scouting the field, the Sea Eagles see Cleary as the best man for the job and after three years at the Warriors, Cleary may see the time as right to make a change.

Watch this space…
You are really quite pathetic. If you claim to know so much and have 'spies out there' why don't you just say who the 'influential figure' was?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2