It's okay to rape and bash wife?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is demanding an immediate apology from a Melbourne Islamic figure who reportedly told his male followers they can demand sex from their wives and hit them.

Mr Rudd said the remarks had no place in modern Australia and were unacceptable to mainstream Muslim teaching.

Samir Abu Hamza, who runs the Islamic Information and Services Network of Australasia, is reported to have questioned, in a lecture entitled "The Keys To A Successful Marriage", whether it was possible for a man to demand sex from his wife.

Mr Hamza is also quoted as saying that it is permissible in some circumstances for a husband to beat his wife.

Mr Rudd told reporters at an Australia Day celebration in Hobart today that he had examined the remarks.

"Could I say that these remarks have no place in modern Australia at all." Mr Rudd said.

"I would call upon this Islamic cleric to publicly apologise and repudiate his remarks. Under no circumstances is sexual violence permissable or acceptable in Australia.

"Under no circumstances are other forms of physical violence towards women acceptable in Australia. Nor are they acceptable in my view to mainstream Muslim teaching.

"So I would say to this Islamic cleric: Australia will not tolerate these sort of remarks. They don't belong in modern Australia and he should stand up, repudiate them and apologise."

The sermon was reportedly given about 2003, but posted on the internet only late last year.

A spokesman for the Islamic Information and Services Network of Australasia said Mr Hamza was on holidays and was not available for comment.

In the 50-minute video, Mr Hamza tells his audience that hitting their wives is not allowed but a light smacking is permissible as a last resort.

"First of all advise them, then when you are with them in the bed you move away from them in the same bed," he said.

"And the third thing, you beat them ... but this is the last resort, after you have advised them for a long, long time, then you smack them, you beat them."

A gentle swatting resembling the brushing of teeth is allowed, Mr Hamza tells his listeners.

"You are not allowed to bruise them, you are not allowed to make them bleed, this is just to shape them up - 'shape up woman' - that's about it.

"You don't go and get a broomstick."

The Australian-born Mr Hamza goes on to express his disbelief at Australia's legal definition of rape, saying that a woman was not allowed to refuse her husband's requests for sex.

"Even if her husband was to ask her for a sexual relationship and she is preparing him the bread on the stove, she must leave it and come and respond to her husband," he said.

"In this country if the husband wants to sleep with his wife and she does not want to and ... there's nothing wrong with her, she just does not want to, and he ends up sleeping with her by force, it is ... known to be as a rape.

"Amazing. How can a person rape his wife?"

A former president of the Islamic Council of Victoria Yasser Soliman said wife beating and forced sex were looked down on by the Islamic community.

He said Mr Hamza was a self-taught cleric, popular with young Muslims in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

Nothing wrong with a bit of spanky in a relationship. Looks like this is something that Kevin's Therese may be missing out on. A "gentle swatting resembling the brushing of teeth" seems a little mild and maybe the good cleric should consider something akin to one hand clapping. Who said that zen and islam couldn't be compatible?

J/K! Must be that time of day. ;)

ManlyBacker link said:
Nothing wrong with a bit of spanky in a relationship. Looks like this is something that Kevin's Therese may be missing out on. A \"gentle swatting resembling the brushing of teeth\" seems a little mild and maybe the good cleric should consider something akin to one hand clapping. Who said that zen and islam couldn't be compatible?

J/K! Must be that time of day. ;)
  I thought it would be the perfect set up for one of your anti-religion rants.  ;)

Rudd better be careful what he says because Victoria has the anti-religious vilification laws that are pretty stringent.

wow that threat from kevin rudd is like totally awesome!

that guy is fully going to apologise now...

Rudd tries to be so gentle, and tries to please everyone.
He's like a big teddy bear really.

The only beating going on here is the media beat up over this story.

I thought it would be the perfect set up for one of your anti-religion rants.  ;)
[/quote]
I thought that anti-religion rants was your specialty! What does the Man Mundine think of these teachings?
You posted it on here hoping for some good size nibbles. I don't have a problem with most religious folks and this one looks a little tame. The good cleric should just learn that in Australia you only get sex when you spend, spend, spend.
:)

"You don't go and get a broomstick."

Yeah, if you're married to the chick from Bewitched.

Seriously, wtf?

"Cook me my f*cking eggs woman".

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4