It's not the size of the ground it's . . .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
. . the size of the crowd that counts.
Easts play at a beautiful 42,000 seat stadium on a glorious Sunday afternoon and can only draw a paltry crowd of 12,500.
Brookie may not be nearly as flash, but we get bigger crowds and create a much better atmosphere. Just shows the quality of the ground is not nearly as important as the quality of the team.

Brookie is a better ground for spectators anyway.

All the calls for afternoons and big stadiums to bring the crowds look pretty silly now.

For better or for worse, the fact is that rugby league people like the old school grounds. Easts fans had all the so called benefits today but still didn't show up. Fans will do what they want, you can't make them come. There's no reason to destroy brookie or stop using Leichhardt. If the fans want to show up they will. If they can't be bothered, a fancy ground and friendly timeslot wont change anything.

We have to work on getting more fans, not trying to pander to those we already have.
Rooters have more members than crowd. Sounds like souffs.

Imagine if they didnt have that guarenteed extra 10,000 all the stadium brookie wankers talk about, crowd would have been 2,500

I reckon 12,500 was a bit generous looking at the empty seats on TV

for the club it would be it's not about the fans it's about selling out your corporate boxes that others seem to do...

eagles2win said:
for the club it would be it's not about the fans it's about selling out your corporate boxes that others seem to do...

What corporates would want to watch Easts play? Chicken shop owners, perhaps?

The Who said:
eagles2win said:

Yeah steggles management. And the ***** left early last week and missed the two late trys...and the win.

Napper said:
The Who said:
eagles2win said:

Yeah steggles management. And the ***** left early last week and missed the two late trys...and the win.

Who knows. But Uncle Nick would have friends no doubt.

It's the same with Souths who have sponsors lining up for them despite poor form and are from memory are one of only two NRL teams that ran at a profit last year.

While it's all well and good to do this chest beating about the atmosphere at the traditional fields but as that boofhead Ikin said eventually teams are going to out grow them

I went to brookie last yr (made the run up form canberra) to watch the mighty eagles beat the warriors in rd 6 (little did we know ;) ). It was cold and wet, yet there was a wonderful atmosphere - I felt at home.

My better halves family drag me along to the brumbies games every week, and we are convinced they add 2,000+ extra people to the crowd numbers each week. So im not surprised if the NRL are lying about roosters crowd numbers.

The Titans are another club with a fantastic ground yet are struggling for crowds, drawing just 11,000 to their first home match after a good win in round one.
So, having a modern ground isn't a guarantee that a club will prosper.

the crowds always look bad at the titans and scum home grounds because all the seats in camera range are reserved for members or whatever that never turn up for games. All the footy supporters especially the visiting team supporters get shoved behind the goal posts. They should wise up and do what Manly are going to do this year, have the members commit or sell their seats back to the club to on-sell on a weekly basis. Everyone wins that way, well apart from the titans who are a rubbish team and will struggle to win much

I do recall that in the days when crowd size mattered, as part of the decision making at the time of ' rationalization of clubs', that the Penrith boss at the time, used to go to Easts games and count the paltry crowds there. He always claimed that the crowds were severely over-counted. No one seemed to care then. The club might be making money, but by the size of the crowds, the club is dying of grassroot supporters. Relocate them to Adelaide.

I would prefer to see suburban grounds stay, rather than going to the big stadiums. Sure if we had 20000 members then Brookie might be a problem, but for now, i would prefer them to keep upgrading when ever possible

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6