It's been a crappy weekend of footy - so far!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loaded dog

Well used Member
So,
I dragged out the 2008 Grand final DVD (just to cheer me up)

Firstly,
Just how grainy is DVD quality these days? (compared to HD? - on a REAL BIG screen?)

However, I digress...

Things I noticed:-

1. Both Stewart boys had hair.
2. Wolfy was solid under the high ball
3. Lyon was No 3 goal kicker
4. Everyone wanted to play...

Can't believe that it's nearly eight years ago!.....probably because I've relived it a thousand times it still seems like it was only yesterday.@:(

So,

Firstly,
Just how grainy is DVD quality these days? (compared to HD? - on a REAL BIG screen?)

However, I digress...

Best day I can remember. And I got to boo Cameron Smith.

In '08 I was working in Arnhem Land. The boss Geo said I could get the chopper back to camp to watch the GF.
The pilot didn't have my Long/Lat so didn't know where I was working. So, I drove 2 plus hours back to camp & caught most of the 2nd half. Good days.

So,

Firstly,

However, I digress...

I too had a head of hair!

The leagues club after - EPIC!

Giving lip to Melbourne supporters at the game - EPIC!

Beavers try - EPIC!

The pass from Kite for the break by Robbo - EPIC!

The bust by Glen Hall - EPIC!

Israel Folau sobbing at the end - EPIC!

I must say whenever I get the strops with the boys I pull out the 08 GF....always a great tonic!

That win still sends shivers down my spine, I really went into that game thinking 'I just hope we make a game of it'. Sure we played some good games against them, and I do remember late in the season we played them and I think we lost 16 to 12?? (Kitey punching Crocker....good days) and I thought.....we're aren't far behind them, but we just can't seem to find a way to win.

The things I'll remember

1) Hall and Watmough smashing Crocker and running off laughing
2) Ox belting one of their props and dislodging the ball
3) Killer doing a lot of kicking and doing an excellent jumbo
4) robbo showing the NRL what we all knew' ie he was a top class winger and possibly what we didn't, he had a wordclass size dong

Interestingly, Killer was our first choice kicker for most of the first half of that season before Ox took over.

Killer has always been a reluctant kicker IMO. He's only done it so often mostly because the teams he's played on have had no one else. I'm sure if he felt someone like DCE or Walker was a better option he would gladly give them the kicking duties. In fact, IIRC he actually did relinquish the kicking to DCE for the first half of 2011 before he took over because Cherry was barely kicking at 50%.

Last edited:
Interestingly, Killer was our first choice kicker for most of the first half of that season before Ox took over.

Killer has always been a reluctant kicker IMO. He's only done it so often mostly because the teams he's played on have had no one else. I'm sure if he felt someone like DCE or Walker was a better option he would gladly give them the kicking duties. In fact, IIRC he actually did relinquish the kicking to DCE for the first half of 2011 before he took over because Cherry was barely kicking at 50%.
Very true. I was at a sea eagles panthers game a few years back (may have been 2013 when Jake made his debut) and I was talking to a panthers fan who said 'I'm a panthers fan but my nephew plays for the Eagles' I was a bit intrigued and he said his nephew was Jamie. He said how reluctant Jamie was to kick and when he went to the super league he told them to get Jamie to kick, because he won't offer up his services, but he's quite a decent kicker.

Was the 08 gf the game that changed the rule so you couldn't slide in with your feet? I've got the bug after this thread and have been watching it today, and Slater just uses his feet and knees at every opportunity. There's one try by robbo where he comes in so late and knees him in the ribs, luckily though it's not Billy's go so he was alright.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2