It was not all forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

winnyason

Bencher
I thought are defence on both edges of backline was pathetic.
I am of thought wolfy deserves a shot, blair wow and hiku not much better.
Hoping stevie is back this week.

Looked bad out wide due to the simple fact Manly were mashed in the middle - they were dominated actually.
There was poor communication & poor decisions out wide, but the reason they were retreating backwards in defence was basically a quick play the ball in the middle.
Theres little doubt this will be the number 1 area of improvement if chasing a top 8 spot in 2015
If we look at Symonds copping traffic & being caught out plenty & players coming in yet not committing to shut down the attack I agree - but unfortunately the rot starts from the core & spreads out from there.....

Looked bad out wide due to the simple fact Manly were mashed in the middle - they were dominated actually.
There was poor communication & poor decisions out wide, but the reason they were retreating backwards in defence was basically a quick play the ball in the middle.
Theres little doubt this will be the number 1 area of improvement if chasing a top 8 spot in 2015
If we look at Symonds copping traffic & being caught out plenty & players coming in yet not committing to shut down the attack I agree - but unfortunately the rot starts from the core & spreads out from there.....
Why try to tackle when one wing leaks more than the Titanic

Ha! The majority of these ****s automatically blame the forwards regardless. Get used to it my friend!

at the risk of sounding arrogant, anyone with even a casual interest in rugby league knows that the issues out wide were a result of being beaten in the middle. The try that put the Eels up at half time is a classic example; Junior Paulo being one on one with a defender 35m in from touch is an indication that the middle is stretched. He was able to simply wedge into the line, offload because no one was present to wrap up the ball, and the rest is history.

Sure, Hiku makes some terrible decisions and quite often leaves his run too late, but we were monstered in the forwards and that's the end of that.

Yes we were beaten in the forward battle in the second half.However at full strength and match fit we will be better.We missed Starling and Buhrer in the middle.Horo needs to start, we need his size early on.Starling and Burgess needs to be our starting props with Willie Lawrence and Mateo on the bench for some size.

we did struggle to score in the first half and should have capitalised on the errors a lot more so yes the backs were poor as well.

It's a simple equation. If you have 3 forwards in a tackle you need to slide in closer to the ruck on both sides, which will create an inevitable overlap, if they get a quick play the ball and either shift it early or beat the markers then you have to try and slide out without creating gaps in the middle.

The NRL have basically killed off good defensive games and are all about high scoring crap with their new rules it means you can only afford to commit one or two people to each tackle because as soon as one player rolls off the tackle everyone has to, so you either end up with no markers or players still retreating to the defensive line whilst the ball has already been played and shifted.

It's an impossible scenario

Well you just spare a thought for me every now & again. I'm stuck here on the coast next to all these beaches and with the prevailing see breeze messing up my hair and so on and so forth....
Tough life for some , nah me, the redder the dirt the better!!

And let me tell you once you get over the hills and not far west it gets red , further you go the redder it gets .

And the stars / sunsets out there......to die for!!

does anyone else think william masons past his use by date just wondering if anyone has comments on him i think manly would have been better off buying a younger player

**** off troll come back when you win a premiership hell even make the finals

I though the forwards we really compressed in the middle which often happens with weak forward packs trying to "hold" the opposition from busting through the middle. That's why you didn't see a larger number of line breaks or tries coming in the middle of the field.
But simply, because of this compression, the players out wide were left high and dry left with overlaps against them.
Sad but true and hopefully not characteristic of Many 2015.
NYEagle

The thing that seemed to be lacking was communication, usually Snake, Fozzie and a forward leader are screaming at them to get in the right spot, this was sadly lacking in Friday night.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6