It has been a great year BY TONY WILLIAMS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
HAPPY New Year, Manly fans, hope you’re all having a good summer so far.

It has been about six weeks since we returned from the Four Nations, which ended up being one of the best trips of my life.

Being part of a team with that much talent was a great experience, made extra special because it was Darren Lockyer’s last tournament.

It was hard to believe I was going on tour with a bunch of guys I watched on TV coming through the grades, but as soon as I arrived everyone made an effort to get to know me which helped in a big way.

Probably the best thing to come from the tour is that I have returned to Manly full of confidence. Knowing that I held my own in the side and played OK at international level has given me a massive boost.

It was always a goal of mine to pull on the green and gold jumper and to do it after winning the NRL premiership was a dream come true.

Paul Gallen and some of the other experienced boys made a point of pulling me aside on tour and telling me that getting there is one thing, but staying there is almost as tough, if not tougher. Being in that kind of environment makes you hungry for more representative football, so I’m hoping things continue to happen this year.

Fortunately this week I was selected to represent the Sea Eagles in the 2012 NRL All Stars game next month against the Indigenous All Stars team on the Gold Coast.

Thank you to all the people who voted for me.

I can’t think of a better way to kick-start the footy calendar and it is going to be a huge test lining up against an Indigenous side with players such as Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston and Sam Thaiday.

TOUGH PRE-SEASON

Pre-season has been tough so far, especially the first few days when I had to get my legs (and lungs) working again.

At the moment we’re doing five full days a week, covering cardio, weights, wrestling and field sessions.

The coaching staff often split our squad into left and right sides to create competition, which helps keep things interesting.

No one wants to lose, even at the fitness drills.

Geoff Toovey coming in as head coach hasn’t been too much of an adjustment so far, I think because all of the boys know him so well already.

He has been overseeing sessions run by our assistant Matt Parish and fixing things here and there, which has been good.

As we get closer to the season, I’m sure his voice will start to get louder.

STATE OF ORIGIN

My main goal is to improve the consistency in my game and build on what I did last year.

Shifting into the backrow was a big thing for me, but Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough and the training staff helped me through in the early stages and I quickly grew to love it there.

State of Origin is something I am also desperate to be a part of and the first step to achieving that goal begins this weekend when I go into camp with the NSW Emerging Origin squad.

Last year I was injured early in the season which hurt my chances of getting picked, so fingers crossed this year I can stay healthy and give myself every opportunity to play against the Maroons.

THE BIG CLASH

The next big game on the calendar for our team is the World Club Challenge in Leeds at Headingley.

Their fans are very emotional, always singing, and the stadium is right on top of the field which creates a great atmosphere.

Hopefully we pick up a big win in England and come back here ready to fly into the NRL season.

Lastly, I know there has been a lot of talk in the media about the club from the day after we won the grand final, but I want to assure all Manly fans that it hasn’t fazed the playing group one bit.

Everyone is really happy with where we’re at and excited about the season ahead. All of us can’t wait to run out onto Brookie Oval in front of our great fans as we try to go back-to-back in 2012.

Cheers, T-Rex

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/it-has-been-a-great-year/

What a great read - onya T-Rex!

The last section was especially heartening. It all sounds positive. :)

Wow!
I wonder if these are his words? I hope so. I'll give him the BOTD anyway.
So good to see him perform well in the big grade.
From the humble beginnings of him attending the pre-match function at the LA Hotel vs Boncos game in '07 (thanks to Aaron Markie), T-Rex has been a fave with Vic Mauro. Good to see them both in the top grade.

An interesting read, as is anything written players, eg Jamie Buhrer and good to see from the players' perspective.

I'm thrilled Tony Williams is writing relatable stories for us fans to soak up. Of course, someone would be doing a fine job editing his initial drafts, but it is great a player takes time to put his emotions and journey into words. My hat is off to him. And it goes to show he can communicate and express his thoughts. Great stuff, Tony.

I'll be the first to admit I've done a complete 180 on my opinion of Tony Williams, when he first started at the club he was nothing more than a 115kg pussy cat, now he can hold his head up high as he is finally living up to his nickname. Congratulations T-Rex on your success so far and good luck for the season ahead, can't wait to see him pull on the sky blue and squash some cane toads.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4