Israel Folau

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah im hoping now that the cap is 5.1 that the club can resolve teh sanke contract issue. They said they were close to sorting it out anyway, so the extra 100k will hopefully help.

Set to sign with the warratahs on a one year deal. So we haven't the last of him as he will be sounding out who has the most cash to pay him for 2014

manlyfan76 said:
Set to sign with the warratahs on a one year deal. So we haven't the last of him as he will be sounding out who has the most cash to pay him for 2014

Presser at 9am this morning. The Izzy circus will start up again 9 months from now when the Super15 season ends.

manlyfan76 said:

for only $250 000 K

2008+NRL+Grand+Final+Sea+Eagles+v+Storm+ee_vwK3Zcqul.jpg

manlyfan76 said:

The Waratahs?

That's in Queensland!!!!!

I would think the role of Mattiske should get some scrutiny in this mess. The acting CEO of the NRL, discussing a players future, with a discredited and non-accredited banned player-manager. Just what is going on? These managers are either banned or not. Can't have it both ways.

Does he go to the same barber as $BW ?? Hairstyles look very similar.

I liked how he said that as soon as he met Michael Cheika he could tell he was a man of substance and honour which was important in his decision making process. As opposed to when he met Ricky Stuart I can only assume.

Chip and Chase said:
Does he go to the same barber as $BW ?? Hairstyles look very similar.

I liked how he said that as soon as he met Michael Cheika he could tell he was a man of substance and honour which was important in his decision making process. As opposed to when he met Ricky Stuart I can only assume.

Or himself.

On a brighter note, the UN has voted in favour of Israel's brother, Palestine, eventually becoming a fully-fledged rugby league player.

Palestine's coach, Mahmoud Abbas, is very confident that Palestine will have a successful career in the UN Cup.

Wanker hope he stays away.......NRL / AFL / UNION ........what next...synchronised swimming????

Mark from Brisbane said:
Wanker hope he stays away.......NRL / AFL / UNION ........what next...synchronised swimming????

Oh come on Mark, no need to be so bitter!

He shone against us a couple of times and is a rare talent, or at least, was.

You have to remember that for a young athlete of islander heritage and strong family ties, there is bound to be a huge amount of pressure, direct or indirect, to help set up the wider family while you can.

There aren't that many folks around just yet with the background of a Folau – or a T-Rex, or a Hoppa Jnr – at the big end of town. They don't tend to get the private school educations and become financiers, lawyers, doctors, or share traders and the like.

Personally I don't begrudge his decision at all. It simply highlights how inept the RL admin has been in allowing its own game to be devalued.

I actually admire the bloke for his decision. He obviously didnt agree to terms at Parramattta, and the fact that Ricky Stuart and their CEO wanted to break the salary cap rules just goes to show how desperate they are. The Tahs need a quality outside back and he'll adapt pretty well to the 15 man game. good luck to him.

I think you'll see a lot more of this type of action in the future.

Their managers are responsible for:
1) Providing them with the best income possible and investment advice
2) Looking after their (managers) own income (it could be argued that 2 comes before 1)

The players have a limited time in the game and I'm certain the managers are pointing to former famous players and saying "If you don't get it now, you could end up like.... and look what loyalty to his club and the game has done for him" (Changa is probably a prime example).

I see it in business all the time and it's no different. GEN Y has a huge reputation in business for minimal loyalty and always chasing the bucks, so what's the difference to what the players are doing (most are GEN Y anyway)?

Unfortunately we have to get used to it and loyalty will only come where a club, like Manly, has a huge culture of commitment among the players, which continues because they always involve the senior playing group and have had so many players (I was going to mention some but might offend others by not including them) who relish that culture and manage it themselves among the playing group and it continues to filter down through all the grades. The only time I questioned it was when we were the Northern Eagles and we lost, temporarily that branding and culture.

It's what makes the difference at our club. Most of the players who leave, apparently don't want to, but are forced out by the salary cap (Beaver, T-Rex, Glen Hall and even Hoppa, of recent times, to name a few).

The loyalty has basically gone out of the game like it used to be prior to Super-League and it's all about the $ now from both the administrators and the players.

Is it a bad thing? Yes and No.

No: It's human nature - Most of us will support their club no matter who plays for them and players will always come and go, it's just not as tribal as it was until Super-League..
We were one of the first clubs who supposedly raped and pillaged other clubs for their best players (Souths and Wests) and we, and the players, loved it because we were financially strong, very successful and had a fabulous culture. Players like to play for a winning team just like most of us like to work for a good cause or work (or have) a successful company (potentially or currently).

Players deserve to earn what they can, when they can, wherever they can.

Yes: A man's word is a man's word and this now being questioned on many fronts. What can you really believe? This is a sad thing that has entered the game. The eternal $ is running the game and there's so much uncertainty about who will stay and who will leave and it causes so much angst among supporters that the game does not need. It could potentially drive supporters away. The contract negotiations for the next year, before a season has even started, is destabilising to the team, supporters and the player. If this was to happen in the work place, you'd be shown the door in a week, if not immediately.

While players may not necessarily be tribal, supporters are.

Anyway, that's my thoughts after a couple of bourbons, I'd welcome yours.

The players need to understand that they need to play within the confines of what the game can provide.

If they want to play elsewhere for more money let them go. There should be no effort made outside of the salary cap to keep them.

I've said it before; if the entire Manly run on team left as a group to play French rugby would I be turning the TV on to watch those guys play?

No but I'd tuning in to watch the Mighty Eagles play.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

Oh come on Mark, no need to be so bitter!

He shone against us a couple of times and is a rare talent, or at least, was.

You have to remember that for a young athlete of islander heritage and strong family ties, there is bound to be a huge amount of pressure, direct or indirect, to help set up the wider family while you can.

There aren't that many folks around just yet with the background of a Folau – or a T-Rex, or a Hoppa Jnr – at the big end of town. They don't tend to get the private school educations and become financiers, lawyers, doctors, or share traders and the like.

Personally I don't begrudge his decision at all. It simply highlights how inept the RL admin has been in allowing its own game to be devalued.

Why should the NRL do anything to accommodate his return? They came up with a deal for him in the end which he decided he didn't want to take up, which is more than what they should have done for him.

The game goes pretty well without the likes of Izzy.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6