Is this the biggest mistake or what?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is the most disgraceful appointment to our club in its history. This grub has abused (physically and verbally) players, officials, ball boys, bashed others and intimidated also. He is a disgrace of a human being and should not be let anywhere near a football field, let alone coaching young men.
Penn, Fulton and Co have shown once and for all that it is now jobs for the boys with no regard to this clubs proud history and tradition. The NRL should step in and ban him from coaching.

I am starting to think that Penn wants to run the club into the ground and take it to the Central Coast. Somebody told me this years and years ago but I thought he was crazy....I don't know anymore???!!!!

My best mate, an Eels fan ( sorry can't help that but we have known each other since we were 5) just sent me a text, saying " can't believe you signed on John ****ing Hopoate".

I responded with " first time I have ever been embarrassed to call myself a Manly fan".

Gee we are going to cop **** from opposition supporters over this, and rightly so.

A disgraceful decision by Bozo, ZtH and their sidekick Mr Fluffy.

Forgetting Hoppa's less than desirable on and off field antics for the moment, does he even have any coaching experience to speak off ??

Forgetting Hoppa's less than desirable on and off field antics for the moment, does he even have any coaching experience to speak off ??
He was the coach in 2011 of a Manly junior side when he punched the opposition's coach in front of the kids

Headline news in the Manly Daily at the time :swear:

So in 2016, Hoppa actualy has the most coaching experience at Manly - Baz, Lussick and Randall would not have coached for as long as Hoppa has :confused:

Hooper reported this in May :http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...as-juniors-coach/story-fnp0lyn2-1227364251955
Sea Eagles planning surprise appointment of John Hopoate as juniors coach
May 22, 2015 12:00am
James HooperThe Daily Telegraph

WE almost dropped the phone when we heard talk on the northern beaches about the prospect of serial offender John Hopoate making a cameo appearance as the coach of the Manly Sea Eagles SG Ball side next season.

Hopoate, whose eldest son William will play for the Blues next Wednesday, has a long and decorated history when it comes to on and off field behaviour.

The former Test and Origin winger still holds the record as the most suspended player in NRL history. Still on the Sea Eagles, Trent Barrett’s name is getting louder as a possible replacement for Geoff Toovey.

Toovey never stood a chance once the Ownership holdings changed:(

Our original angst here:
http://silvertails.net/threads/john-hopoate-to-coach-manly-juniors.46229/

Last edited:
If I was being coached by him I'd be scared of him, so yep I'd say he'll get some respect. Seems a strange appointment when a guy like Brent Kite is looking for a gig and is the ultimate role model for these kids? Would love to have Kitey involved in the rebuild off the field. A lot of the problems seemed to coincide with his departure.

Former NRL bad boy John Hopoate to coach Manly Sea Eagles' SG Ball Cup team

The most suspended player in NRL history, John Hopoate, who also pleaded guilty to punching and kicking a man outside a Kings Cross nightclub, has been appointed as coach of Manly's SG Ball Cup team next season.

Manly officials confirmed on Monday that Hopoate, 41, would take over the coaching reins in 2016 and mentor young footballers under the age of 18.

After a 14-year first-grade career with Manly, Wests Tigers and the Northern Eagles, as well as a stint in the boxing ring, it appears Hopoate has set his sights on full-time coaching career.

Now that Geoff Toovey has been dumped from the Manly coaching ranks despite having another year left on his contract, Hopoate will now work in some capacity with new Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett.

Hopoate gained global notoriety for being rubbed out for 12 matches after poking three North Queensland players in the anus during a game. He was also given a 17-match suspension, the sack from Manly, and ultimately retired from the game after a sickening hit on then Cronulla player Keith Galloway in 2005.

Hopoate is no stranger to controversy off the field and his new role will raise questions as to whether he is fit to coach and mentor young men who might one day develop into NRL players.

Four years ago Hopoate pleaded guilty to assaulting a man outside a Kings Cross nightclub in 2010 and was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond and fined $1000.

He was working as a responsible service of alcohol officer when he was hit on the head with a belt buckle by a man who was refused entry. Hopoate then chased the man down the street before punching and kicking the victim while he was on the ground.

In 2013, Hopoate pleaded guilty to intimidating a parking officer who was about to write him a ticket. Hopoate allegedly told him to: "Take it off and if you ever come back here I will f---ing kill ya".

While the officer was writing Hopoate the ticket, he allegedly said: "Go ahead you little faggot. Touch my car and you'll f---kin' cop it".

Police claimed there was also CCTV footage of Hopoate moving his finger across his neck while the inspector drove off.

The NSW Origin representative's latest off-field drama involved 2UE reporter Leonie Ryan. Hopoate tried to trip Ryan outside a Sydney court and when she confronted him again he repeatedly called her a "f---ing bitch".

Hopoate was in court supporting his son Jamil who had pleaded guilty to an assault in Manly.

Fairfax Media has contacted the NRL and NSWRL for comment about Hopoate's new position.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-cup-team-20151019-gkcmjv.html#ixzz3ozhwbuGl

This really is everything that is wrong with rugby league all in one appointment. AND AT OUR CLUB!!!!
Cranky.

I think this video says it all on how one becomes a coach at manly. Look close and see if you can see the missing fridge? Anyone missing a microwave or 3?
<

Last edited:
I really feel like we need to start a petition on this. Does anyone know how to do it? This is disgraceful. I was hesitant about renewing my membership already and I most certainly won't be doing it now.

I really feel like we need to start a petition on this. Does anyone know how to do it? This is disgraceful. I was hesitant about renewing my membership already and I most certainly won't be doing it now.

Agree. The time has passed for us fans to sit around and just whinge to each other about the way the club is running. It is time to make a stand and be heard on a large scale. We can use social media and manipulate the journo's to put pressure on the club. In the very least, if nothing changes, we will have been heard! Talking about it on here does very little.

Someone start a petition and I'll sign it for sure!!

The Sea Eagles Twitter account was hammered after the announcement , trouble is it falls on deaf ears , some junior runs it and the powers to be probably never see it!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4