Is There Some Method To Our Signings?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Quirkster

The People's Champion
I wonder whether there has been a sort of reaction, rather than action, to the approach of our signings.

At the beginning of the year we got in Green, Brown, Tapau, Parcell, Myles, and one or two others, all forwards, with the exception of Dylan Walker, as there may have been a perceived weakness in our forwards. With Tom Trbojevic coming through, there seemed to be little focus on our backs.

It seems that perhaps we are looking for backs for next year, after the injury toll of this year, which forced us in to picking up Matthew Wright (who I don't think is too bad), an unwanted, and offloaded, Cowboys player.

I cannot speak as to the narrative, the background, or the reasoning for our signings. I am ignorant to quite a lot of the inner workings and stories of our approaches to anything.

All I can do is to ask from my subjective perception, inasmuch as I can only comment on what I've read. Of course, we were SMASHED by injuries, so it may be more of a running patch-up response.

As such, does there seem to be a more reactive direction to our signings?

Cheers, guys.

Shedding good, solid players such as Hiku, Buhrer, T-Red and Blair; and cutting promising youngsters Gutherson and Knight, for average outsiders just seems dumb to me.
The one import I was reasonably impressed with last season was Kapow. The much-hyped Dylan Walker has not yet shown to me he was a smart buy.
It seems to me that the recruitment mantra is that the grass is greener on the other side; in other words, imports are always better than what we currently have.

We had the cattle, not sure we have people in high places who knew how to use it.

Gutho, Tom T, Hiku. Take your pick at who plays where in 6,4 and 1. Which ever way you arrange them. And they could be completely interchangeable.

I think we would have had a much better year in 2016 then the one we just had. They are all young. We would still be rebuilding for a year or two, but we would be further along that rebuild phase then where we currently at right now.

Walker had to play 3 positions and was injured for stints. If all he has to worry about is centre then I'm sure he'll be fine. I heard he's pretty good there.
Yes he's represented the Roos in 4 tests, and played for nsw their too and managed to stop greg Inglis. He's a world class centre and is a massive buy for us. Majority of this year we saw Dylan walker the 5/8. In 2017 we will see Dylan walker the centre.

I wonder whether there has been a sort of reaction, rather than action, to the approach of our signings.

At the beginning of the year we got in Green, Brown, Tapau, Parcell, Myles, and one or two others, all forwards, with the exception of Dylan Walker, as there may have been a perceived weakness in our forwards. With Tom Trbojevic coming through, there seemed to be little focus on our backs.

It seems that perhaps we are looking for backs for next year, after the injury toll of this year, which forced us in to picking up Matthew Wright (who I don't think is too bad), an unwanted, and offloaded, Cowboys player.

I cannot speak as to the narrative, the background, or the reasoning for our signings. I am ignorant to quite a lot of the inner workings and stories of our approaches to anything.

All I can do is to ask from my subjective perception, inasmuch as I can only comment on what I've read. Of course, we were SMASHED by injuries, so it may be more of a running patch-up response.

As such, does there seem to be a more reactive direction to our signings?

Cheers, guys.

YES

We are signing players that don't like DCE so as to even the score for Glenn Stewart who is actually our new recruitment manager.

Lol, but looks that way doesn't it?

" ok guys who is available that's cheap, ok that's three now let's do paper scissors rock to work out which one"

Akila Uate, you are the winner!!

And on the other side of the coin we need to work out who to release to pay for these cheap as chips recruits who no other club wants.

This is a much more scientific process. It's done by way of an open invitation to the majority of our contracted players that they can leave at any time if they can find another club.

I think the idea behind this approach was that other clubs would make offers to our unwanted players like Mateo and Burgess. However, to management's surprise, nobody seems to want our discards. Instead, it is our better players, as we have seen with Hiku, Gutho and Buhrer, who seem to be able to find other clubs who want them - who would have thought!!

Meanwhile, the players we don't want end up staying and being miserable, as they can't find anyone else who will take them.

Yes he's represented the Roos in 4 tests, and played for nsw their too and managed to stop greg Inglis. He's a world class centre and is a massive buy for us. Majority of this year we saw Dylan walker the 5/8. In 2017 we will see Dylan walker the centre.
Love you as I do young Turbo, I really would appreciate it if you could have a go at getting 'there', 'their', and 'there' right.
Treat this learning process with the same zeal you use in constructing an imaginary team list. You'll master it in no time!
Sorry - former teacher, favourite bugbear.

Love you as I do young Turbo, I really would appreciate it if you could have a go at getting 'there', 'their', and 'there' right.
Treat this learning process with the same zeal you use in constructing an imaginary team list. You'll master it in no time!
Nah mate don't worry my own teachers are always saying get "they're, their and there" correct.

Nah mate don't worry my own teachers are always saying get "they're, their and there" correct.
Maybe put it in terms of The Manly team going to a game at Penrith:
They're going to take their boots to the game there.
Or a group of Manly fans running into Bozo at Brookie after he let Buhrer go:
They're going to show Bozo the extent of their anger when they see him there.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Here's how I see the thinking for 2016:

1) We needed a hooker with Broken Ballin off to Tigers so we got Parcell/Api
Verdict: 7/10. We should have just bought Parcell and used Buhrer as 14/stand in hooker but realistically our hooker issues are sorted for two more years.
Notes: Brown (second row), Jayden Hodges (ACL season) and Leary (second row).

2) We needed a 5/8 so we got Dylan.
Verdict: 4/10. I think it was worth a try and was recognised as a mistake early enough to do the Lyon/Walker swap. I'm happy with Walker at centre and believe at least one side is sorted for the next few years.
Notes: Moltzen (broken), Goodinet (not very good).

3) We needed almost a complete new set of back rowers & lock so we got Kapow, Green, Leary, TRed, Mateo, JTurbo, Frankenstein, Leary, Brown, Buhrer, Knight, Lussick, AFB, Meehan, JHop, Myles, kitchen sink.
Verdict: 3/10. A dog's breakfast. Enough of the half-baked signings already! Brown?! Myles?! Seriously I think I spotted the water boy at second row one game. Jake at lock was looks good but I still think he should be prop. Kapow at second row also good but needs backup (why lose TRed?! And now Buhrer?!). A minor point but I still think Kapow should come off the bench at 25 minute mark as impact rather than 80 minutes. Could do worse than Lussick at lock (getting better every game).
Notes: Ricardo (losing hair with all the turmoil at 2nd row). Darth Bozo will now use Lane to accompany Kapow as he is a large body and that's all that matters, right?

1) We needed a hooker with Broken Ballin off to Tigers so we got Parcell/Api
Verdict: 7/10. We should have just bought Parcell and used Buhrer as 14/stand in hooker but realistically our hooker issues are sorted for two more years.
Notes: Brown (second row), Jayden Hodges (ACL season) and Leary (second row).

I think you have time line wrong on this one. My memory is we signed Api and Parcell and then released Ballin, not the other way around.

You're not alone BE.There are several teachers on here. Try using "your" and "you're" in the wrong context and count the seconds before the big red pen comes out!(in my day a piece of chalk to the head helped me remember!....ahhh the good old days.lol)

Bozo is trying to recreate the manly of 1980/81. The era before he arrived back as coach.

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."

Polonius, in "Hamlet," Act 2, Scene 2, Line 186.

For some reason I get annoyed when it isn't quoted as above, where "madness" comes before "method."

I have no idea why. It just grates at me.

Maybe it's because I'm an annoying ****er.

Oh, and this isn't in reference to your post, Terry. This whinging rubbish of mine just popped into my head. You used it fine.

Never mind. Move along, people. Nothing of value to see here.

There is - big forwards - half to add direction - Wright is Wrong - don't mind Uate & reckon will be a fan favourite - SlyAnkles a good versatile signing adding flair - reasonable not great, with 2 more to come & better luck with injuries looking ok.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6