1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There Some Method To Our Signings?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Quirkster, Oct 7, 2016.

1. The Quirkster

The Quirkster The People's Champion

Sea Eagles Territory
    Ratings:
    +202 / 6
    I wonder whether there has been a sort of reaction, rather than action, to the approach of our signings.

At the beginning of the year we got in Green, Brown, Tapau, Parcell, Myles, and one or two others, all forwards, with the exception of Dylan Walker, as there may have been a perceived weakness in our forwards. With Tom Trbojevic coming through, there seemed to be little focus on our backs.

It seems that perhaps we are looking for backs for next year, after the injury toll of this year, which forced us in to picking up Matthew Wright (who I don't think is too bad), an unwanted, and offloaded, Cowboys player.

I cannot speak as to the narrative, the background, or the reasoning for our signings. I am ignorant to quite a lot of the inner workings and stories of our approaches to anything.

All I can do is to ask from my subjective perception, inasmuch as I can only comment on what I've read. Of course, we were SMASHED by injuries, so it may be more of a running patch-up response.

As such, does there seem to be a more reactive direction to our signings?

Cheers, guys.

2. Scaven

Scaven Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    No! That is all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,473 / 42
    Fat-gutz, Bozo, Penn have a game of paper,scissors, rock with a list of journeyman.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,704 / 257
    Lol, but looks that way doesn't it?

" ok guys who is available that's cheap, ok that's three now let's do paper scissors rock to work out which one"

Akila Uate, you are the winner!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Shedding good, solid players such as Hiku, Buhrer, T-Red and Blair; and cutting promising youngsters Gutherson and Knight, for average outsiders just seems dumb to me.
    The one import I was reasonably impressed with last season was Kapow. The much-hyped Dylan Walker has not yet shown to me he was a smart buy.
    It seems to me that the recruitment mantra is that the grass is greener on the other side; in other words, imports are always better than what we currently have.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. double hoops

double hoops Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 113
    We had the cattle, not sure we have people in high places who knew how to use it.

Gutho, Tom T, Hiku. Take your pick at who plays where in 6,4 and 1. Which ever way you arrange them. And they could be completely interchangeable.

I think we would have had a much better year in 2016 then the one we just had. They are all young. We would still be rebuilding for a year or two, but we would be further along that rebuild phase then where we currently at right now.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,402 / 257
    Walker had to play 3 positions and was injured for stints. If all he has to worry about is centre then I'm sure he'll be fine. I heard he's pretty good there.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Turbo1

Turbo1 Scott Penn is a **** head

Ratings:
    +718 / 155
    Yes he's represented the Roos in 4 tests, and played for nsw their too and managed to stop greg Inglis. He's a world class centre and is a massive buy for us. Majority of this year we saw Dylan walker the 5/8. In 2017 we will see Dylan walker the centre.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Harmless27

Harmless27 Active Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +280 / 14
    YES

We are signing players that don't like DCE so as to even the score for Glenn Stewart who is actually our new recruitment manager.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    Possibly. Bozo's approach has always been old-school - big intimidating forwards and fast backs. I suppose you could look at recent Bozo recruits and say there may be some logic there (Lussick, Kapow, AFB for intimidation factor, Walker for speed). Shedding JB would also make sense if thats the plan. Sorry, but my logic stretch doesn't extend to Myles and Brown.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,803 / 53
    And on the other side of the coin we need to work out who to release to pay for these cheap as chips recruits who no other club wants.

This is a much more scientific process. It's done by way of an open invitation to the majority of our contracted players that they can leave at any time if they can find another club.

I think the idea behind this approach was that other clubs would make offers to our unwanted players like Mateo and Burgess. However, to management's surprise, nobody seems to want our discards. Instead, it is our better players, as we have seen with Hiku, Gutho and Buhrer, who seem to be able to find other clubs who want them - who would have thought!!

Meanwhile, the players we don't want end up staying and being miserable, as they can't find anyone else who will take them.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
  12. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    Love you as I do young Turbo, I really would appreciate it if you could have a go at getting 'there', 'their', and 'there' right.
    Treat this learning process with the same zeal you use in constructing an imaginary team list. You'll master it in no time!
    Sorry - former teacher, favourite bugbear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Turbo1

Turbo1 Scott Penn is a **** head

Ratings:
    +718 / 155
    Nah mate don't worry my own teachers are always saying get "they're, their and there" correct.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    Maybe put it in terms of The Manly team going to a game at Penrith:
    They're going to take their boots to the game there.
    Or a group of Manly fans running into Bozo at Brookie after he let Buhrer go:
    They're going to show Bozo the extent of their anger when they see him there.

You're welcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  15. ricardo

ricardo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,080 / 68
    Here's how I see the thinking for 2016:

1) We needed a hooker with Broken Ballin off to Tigers so we got Parcell/Api
    Verdict: 7/10. We should have just bought Parcell and used Buhrer as 14/stand in hooker but realistically our hooker issues are sorted for two more years.
    Notes: Brown (second row), Jayden Hodges (ACL season) and Leary (second row).

2) We needed a 5/8 so we got Dylan.
    Verdict: 4/10. I think it was worth a try and was recognised as a mistake early enough to do the Lyon/Walker swap. I'm happy with Walker at centre and believe at least one side is sorted for the next few years.
    Notes: Moltzen (broken), Goodinet (not very good).

3) We needed almost a complete new set of back rowers & lock so we got Kapow, Green, Leary, TRed, Mateo, JTurbo, Frankenstein, Leary, Brown, Buhrer, Knight, Lussick, AFB, Meehan, JHop, Myles, kitchen sink.
    Verdict: 3/10. A dog's breakfast. Enough of the half-baked signings already! Brown?! Myles?! Seriously I think I spotted the water boy at second row one game. Jake at lock was looks good but I still think he should be prop. Kapow at second row also good but needs backup (why lose TRed?! And now Buhrer?!). A minor point but I still think Kapow should come off the bench at 25 minute mark as impact rather than 80 minutes. Could do worse than Lussick at lock (getting better every game).
    Notes: Ricardo (losing hair with all the turmoil at 2nd row). Darth Bozo will now use Lane to accompany Kapow as he is a large body and that's all that matters, right?

16. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    I think you have time line wrong on this one. My memory is we signed Api and Parcell and then released Ballin, not the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry Zarsoff

Terry Zarsoff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,551 / 68
    "Is there some method..(etc)?"*

*Only to their madness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  18. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,473 / 42
    You're not alone BE.There are several teachers on here. Try using "your" and "you're" in the wrong context and count the seconds before the big red pen comes out!(in my day a piece of chalk to the head helped me remember!....ahhh the good old days.lol)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    If Bozo wants an intimidating forward pack, you certainly wouldn't say a pack that includes Lawrence, Starling, Ballin, TRed, Buhrer, Leary and Mateo is going to scare the daylights out of anyone. They may all have their good points, but fear factor isn't one of them. Still doesn't account for Myles and Brown though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,632 / 74
    Bozo is trying to recreate the manly of 1980/81. The era before he arrived back as coach.