Is the NRL that rich?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle-rock08

Reserve Grader
Or does the NRL hate Manly that much that it forgoes revenue by maintaining a stance that Manly could not play their home final at Brookvale?

If I ran my own business it would often become a question of revenue. If I do a job for more money I make 'more money.' If I make a decision that gives me less money I get 'less money.'

There is such a thing as the profit motive. The reason for running a business. It doesn't seem to apply to the NRL and I wonder why.

I cannot understand why the NRL decided to take the drop in revenue from around 12,000 fans as opposed to possible revenue of around 18,000 fans.

At best this may seem incompetence or at worst a vendetta against Manly even to the detriment of a multi billion dollar business. I of course cannot countenance the latter but must really ask the question with regards to the former.

I think David Gallop need to answer this question.

Over to you DG.

Why the Storm's 14,000 crowd not the front page news is more the question.

Newcastle fans do travel en masse, sunny Sunday timeslot, direct public transport etc
Manly are now being blamed for discouraging us to go!
Not the start time, Bridge toll, parking fees, multi leg public transport, ANz Patrons having free transport etc

Farcical and pathetic journalism.

The refusal by the NRL to consider changes in the future is a worry. Throwing money (and fans) away doesn't seem to be a good strategy to grow the game.

@[eagle-rock08] you spelled "stupid" wrong

The direct extra cost of travelling to the SFS (as opposed to Brookie) for me last Saturday forgettimng travelling time & inconvenience was
Bridge Toll $3.00
Eastern Distributor $5.00
Parking $15.00
Add these costs to tickets, the late kick off and I can undertsand why so many northern beaches fans didn't make the trip to the SFS on Saturday night. Had the game been at Brookie I would be $23 richer today.

Does anyone know if the NRL would have had to 'hire' Brookvale oval for the weekends game or is it in the Sea Eagles Agreement with the ground?

Surely they would have had to pay the SFS a motza for the use?

I am the lone voice here but...

I agree with playing semi final games in the city at big venues. There needs to be a change to the system to give the top teams more of an advantage rather than home ground...i.e. the AFL system where teams 1 - 4 get a second shot no matter what

codewana said:
I understand the $3 bridge toll, but the ED is 100% optional.

optional maybe, but when traffic is bad avoiding the ED is a pain in the ass. I know going through Redfern can be pretty quick, but at night all the traffic through there seems to choke up

lsz said:
I am the lone voice here but...

I agree with playing semi final games in the city at big venues. There needs to be a change to the system to give the top teams more of an advantage rather than home ground...i.e. the AFL system where teams 1 - 4 get a second shot no matter what

I understand where you are coming from. However it just isn't even. This purely benefits the teams from outside of Sydney. GC would play on the GC and Cowboys in Townsville. It also benefits teams like the Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Roosters.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but once again with the NRL the execution is what is lacking

HappilyManly said:
Why the Storm's 14,000 crowd not the front page news is more the question.

Newcastle fans do travel en masse, sunny Sunday timeslot, direct public transport etc
Manly are now being blamed for discouraging us to go!
Not the start time, Bridge toll, parking fees, multi leg public transport, ANz Patrons having free transport etc

Farcical and pathetic journalism.

The scheduling of the Storm game is just as bizarre as it was up against an AFL finals game between traditional rivals Carlton & Essendon. Although with 4 Melbourne based AFL finals on that weekend it was always going to be difficult to find a timeslot to maximise their attendance.

jbb/james said:
gold coast and cowboys should play at suncorp under that rule

Home City not home state I thought, and thus GC and Cowboys would play at their home venues.

Fonz said:
Does anyone know if the NRL would have had to 'hire' Brookvale oval for the weekends game or is it in the Sea Eagles Agreement with the ground?

Yes, the NRL would have had to hire Brookvale Oval as Manly have an agreement to play ten games there.
Even though they only got 14,000 at the SFS,they probably made more money than if it was played at Brookie, this is due to the much larger amount of reserved seating that was available at $55, at Brookie there's probably not more than 2500 reserved seats.

Peter C thanks for that it explains to me that the NRL made the best commercial decision available.

That is why I like these fora as they allow a free exchange of ideas. And sometimes we even get to the bottom of a topic.

Peter C said:
Fonz said:

Yes, the NRL would have had to hire Brookvale Oval as Manly have an agreement to play ten games there.
Even though they only got 14,000 at the SFS,they probably made more money than if it was played at Brookie, this is due to the much larger amount of reserved seating that was available at $55, at Brookie there's probably not more than 2500 reserved seats.

Not sure you can blame Gallop for the scheduling of the Melbourne game

That has been locked in for a long time.....and are there not a number of fans on here who want a schedule of games released well in advance? Then you are going to get clashes like that

$14k crowds for 1 v 8 and 2 v 7. Yawn. Hardly mouthwatering games for this stage of the season.

Contrast 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 playing to skip a week, and 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 playing for survival. Meaningful. Benefits earned in real meaty contests.

What chance the protected species in charge even considering what fans want when seeing fans as terrorists?

lsz said:
Not sure you can blame Gallop for the scheduling of the Melbourne game

That has been locked in for a long time.....and are there not a number of fans on here who want a schedule of games released well in advance? Then you are going to get clashes like that

Can't have been locked in until fulltime at the Manly/bonkos game.Up til then the scum game could possibly have been the 830pm Sat night.That's not well in advance!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2