Is the Australian genocide really over?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
According to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission's report, A statistical overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia:

* Aboriginal life expectancy is around 20 years lower than for other Australians. The gap actually increased between 1997 and 2001, from 20.6 to 20.7 years for men and 18.8 to 19.6 for women. For men, this is a lower life expectancy than in Papua New Guinea, Burma or Cambodia. For women, it is the same as sub-Saharan Africa, with AIDS factored out.

* The Aboriginal infant mortality rate is 2.5 times that of the rest of Australia, with the rate in the Northern Territory four times the national average. Moreover, the number of babies of low birth weight is double the non-Aboriginal average and actually increased over the late 1990s. The figure is higher than those for Ethiopia, Senegal, Mexico and Indonesia.

* The unemployment rate for Aborigines is about three times higher than that of the non-Aboriginal population.

* Aborigines are imprisoned at 16 times the rest of the population and, consistently since 1999, have made up 20% of the prison population a rise of 6% since 1991.

* In 1990-99, 115 Aborigines died in custody, representing 18% of custody deaths.

* Indigenous people also suffer higher rates of crime. A 2001 study in New South Wales found that Aborigines are 5.5 times more likely to suffer domestic violence, 3.4 times more likely to suffer assault, 2.8 times more likely to suffer sexual assault, and 2.5 times more likely to be murdered.

* Aboriginal households on average earn about $200 less per week than non-Aboriginal households.

* Aborigines are half as likely to have completed schooling and only about 40% are employed.

* A January 2004 study by the Australian National University's Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research found that labour market discrimination is more likely to manifest in an inability of Indigenous individuals to secure a job, rather than in being paid low wages.

The HREOC report also found that the life expectancy of indigenous people in the USA, Canada and New Zealand had fallen since the mid 1990s, but the deterioration had been sharper for Indigenous people in Australia.

gen?o?cide
? ?/?d??n??sa?d/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [jen-uh-sahyd] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.
Origin:
1940–45; < Gk géno(s) race + -cide

Is the current aboriginal situation as a result of deliberate or systematic actions?  Hardly. 

More like unintended, accidental, and currently trying to be rectified. 

A senior executive of Macquarie Bank was on the TV a few months ago saying that he had set up a business in a remote community which was able to fully employ everyone in that particular community. 

He said that he could set up business' in every remote community which would then all be fully sufficient and create income and employment.  All he needed was the govt to contribute resources etc to get things started. 

Not sure whether this idea got off the ground but it seemed very impressive at the time.

I think Twiggy Forest has a similar idea of employing 50,000 indiigenous workers in the mining industry. 

The Federal govts seem to do **** all about assisting in solving the problems. 

This is a very complex issue and it is not just 'black and white' (Pun intended) Recognising there is a problem is the first step but finding a solution is much, much harder. Simplification or gross overgeneralisations (such as use of the term Genocide) don't really do much except get people worked up!!!

I love it how Mata how you have said you will drop virtually the same issue on the other thread? I would hate to see what happens when try to inflame or exacerbate an issue? :)

tookey link said:
A senior executive of Macquarie Bank was on the TV a few months ago saying that he had set up a business in a remote community which was able to fully employ everyone in that particular community. 

He said that he could set up business' in every remote community which would then all be fully sufficient and create income and employment.  All he needed was the govt to contribute resources etc to get things started. 

Not sure whether this idea got off the ground but it seemed very impressive at the time.

I think Twiggy Forest has a similar idea of employing 50,000 indiigenous workers in the mining industry. 

The Federal govts seem to do F**k all about assisting in solving the problems. 
  'tis being launched in sydney today with mining companies committing to employing 50,000 victim.... I mean indigenous folk. 

**** stirring as usual matas.

Once again the proper location for political protest would be from within not on a forum where, in general we don't give a **** for much beyond footy.

I will say it again as everyone knows, that if your contempt for this nation and it's "convict" heritage is so great, planes leave approx every 15 minutes from each of the international airports.

Furthermore, if your contempt is still that great, why not start a non-military coup and eradicate all the genocidal "convicts"...........

The last defence of the unthinking red neck.  "If ya don't like it, leave it mate".  Hervey Bay rubbing off on you so quickly dan?

Australian and British.  My Zimbabwean was stripped off me and one I can't currently get back - even though it's against international law to deny me of it.

Thought so, although I didn't realise the Zim part of the equation.

Can I ask why you took Australian citizenship?

Doesn't that imply you give tacit approval to the "Genocide" that you are so fond of bringing up? and if you took it on before you were made aware of it why did you not simply renounce it, you could have stayed here as a permanent resident.

Or do you prefer to remain a citizen of a country you seem to loathe so much, knowing all the while that whilst in this country you have the right to snipe from within??

If thats what you think I am saying then you are more deluded and self absorbed than I thought was possible without being female :)

In answer to your question though, the little known or taught part of Australia's history is the leavening influence of some of its immigrants. I view myself in that tradition. 

Fro link said:
Thought so, although I didn't realise the Zim part of the equation.

Yeah, and it's a vital little piece of information isn't it.  As you admit, the maniac was installed by Fraser.  And because of the maniac I am rendered stateless. 

So it's this country's moral duty to provide some succour to the people that have had their own heritage and birthright so cruelly denied by it's the bumbling incompetence of their elected representative. 

Lest we forget:

According to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission's report, A statistical overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia:

* Aboriginal life expectancy is around 20 years lower than for other Australians. The gap actually increased between 1997 and 2001, from 20.6 to 20.7 years for men and 18.8 to 19.6 for women. For men, this is a lower life expectancy than in Papua New Guinea, Burma or Cambodia. For women, it is the same as sub-Saharan Africa, with AIDS factored out.

* The Aboriginal infant mortality rate is 2.5 times that of the rest of Australia, with the rate in the Northern Territory four times the national average. Moreover, the number of babies of low birth weight is double the non-Aboriginal average and actually increased over the late 1990s. The figure is higher than those for Ethiopia, Senegal, Mexico and Indonesia.

* The unemployment rate for Aborigines is about three times higher than that of the non-Aboriginal population.

* Aborigines are imprisoned at 16 times the rest of the population and, consistently since 1999, have made up 20% of the prison population a rise of 6% since 1991.

* In 1990-99, 115 Aborigines died in custody, representing 18% of custody deaths.

* Indigenous people also suffer higher rates of crime. A 2001 study in New South Wales found that Aborigines are 5.5 times more likely to suffer domestic violence, 3.4 times more likely to suffer assault, 2.8 times more likely to suffer sexual assault, and 2.5 times more likely to be murdered.

* Aboriginal households on average earn about $200 less per week than non-Aboriginal households.

* Aborigines are half as likely to have completed schooling and only about 40% are employed.

* A January 2004 study by the Australian National University's Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research found that labour market discrimination is more likely to manifest in an inability of Indigenous individuals to secure a job, rather than in being paid low wages.

The HREOC report also found that the life expectancy of indigenous people in the USA, Canada and New Zealand had fallen since the mid 1990s, but the deterioration had been sharper for Indigenous people in Australia.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2