Is State-of-Origin heading for extinction?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Till NSW drops Pearce, no one here believes that the Team has a chance.

I liked it back in the 80's when Qld was mainly Manly Players :)

Nowdays I usually turn it off and wait for the News Highlights.

I agree, and a friend raised this point with a high ranking NSW official/selector/coaching person 2 weeks ago.

Though not agreeing, we was asked to give a better option.

Sadly ther isn't one.

Maybe Brooks can be our answer in 12 months time.

Maybe with a brilliant 5/8 with a boring halfback is needed.
Put Carney or Mullen in the 6 and give them free reign to carve it up. Then have someone like Peter Wallace or (waiting for things to get thrown at me) Rob Jeffson there just to organise and kick. Farah can be our option with a ball playing lock like Gifty and Hayne doing his thang on the other side of the field.
Nothing else has worked.

Are Polynesian etc players really dominating though - Melbourne Storm and Manly have been the two most dominant teams of the last decade and the majority of the key players are not Polynesian. Especially the key players.

Yes there's plenty of Polynesians in grade and Juniors and NSW Cup and Under 20's etc - they are great in number but are they over represented in the elite players at the rep levels of the NRL ???? I would say not. Yes there are some but its hardly a landslide if you rank your top 50 players in the NRL.

Duff said:
Maybe with a brilliant 5/8 with a boring halfback is needed.
Put Carney or Mullen in the 6 and give them free reign to carve it up. Then have someone like Peter Wallace or (waiting for things to get thrown at me) Rob Jeffson there just to organise and kick. Farah can be our option with a ball playing lock like Gifty and Hayne doing his thang on the other side of the field.
Nothing else has worked.

I do think we need a backline that has plenty of points in it, as well as plenty of speed. Hayne, Jennings, Morrises are pretty good options. I liked the look of Tedesco but it looks like he's out again.

Unlike a lot of others I'm not anti Pearce. I actually think he's a very good club player, tough and can play to set routines and structures. But I just don't think he's quite capable of the brilliance required at the next level.

Maloney is doing nothing this year. So is Adam Reynolds. Josh Reynolds is a feisty little effer but he just doesn't have much else in my opinion.

Carney has brilliance stamped all over him (with the occasional monumental screw up) as does Brooks. Who else is there really to pick in the halves?

The major thing is he don't get steamrolled in the forwards. I think the halves have at times taken a lot of the blame (which usually happens) for these losses when the QLD forwards have bashed us. So we need 4 really top line props....anyone? Personally I'm old school and want 4 props along the lines of the Chief, Lazarus or Blocker. We need some fire. Guys in the mould of Greg Bird who really do get p***** off that we lose SOO. I think Tim Grant is worth another go, Aaron Woods.....maybe he will probably make it by default. I'm not sold on Tamou but sure he will be there again. Probably Gallen as well since we have a wealth of talent in the backrow....choc, Gift, Merrin, Bird, T-Rex (just checking if anyone was reading!!!), Tariq Sims etc

Turn SOO into SPS - South Pacific Series

NSW ally with NZ

Queensland get Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga and Cook Islands

North of the border vs South of the border.

Sustains the jewel in the crown series, becomes a better precursor to Test series, allows all of the best players in the region to play and it's time to overcome the myth that all talent allegedly originated from Queensland.

My NSW team (not because they are my favourite players - some I can't stand, but because I think this team would win):
1. B Stewart
2. J Mansour
3. J Hayne
4. W Hopoate (yes he is underdone a bit, but has been there and has the talent)
5. B Morris
6. J Reynolds (can't stand him, but is a full-on bugger who can unsettle QLD)
7. A Reynolds (experienced enough now and an excellent goal kicker which helps)
8. A Fifita
9. Nathan Peats (I have a big rap on him and Farah is a ball hog)
10. T Merrin
11. A Watmough
12. P Gallen (more likely game 2) otherwise B Cordner
13. G Bird
---------
14. R Hinchcliffe
15. B Cordner
16. B Lawrence
17. A Woods

It would never get picked but I like it.

Agree, Peats seems 'built' for Origin. He's a real worker, like Ballin.
On the five-eighth spot, I haven't seen any of the 'experts' mention Aiden Sezer. This guy is from Sydney and has impressed me for the past two seasons. He is also an accomplished goal kicker. For mine, he is worth considering.
On the wing I think the first picked should be Daniel Tupou. He is outstanding. As good as Jorge is, this guy for mine is Easts' best player.

Agree. On the Sunday Footy show, Johns mentioned Sezer for Origin. Tupou would go well in Origin, they've always picked tall wingers.
I always thought Manly's Michael Robinson was overlooked when it came to Origin wingers.

This will kill Origin. Why is this NSW player grimacing? Soft.

1397441449721.jpg-420x0.jpg

Brissie Kid said:
This will kill Origin. Why is this NSW player grimacing? Soft.

1397441449721.jpg-420x0.jpg

It's a bit hard to tell why he is grimacing without seeing the whole of his body or what is going on behind him. There could be a number of reasons why he is grimacing. He could have injured his leg (i.e. knee, ankle, etc.) in the tackle. He could have a back injury or even the QLDer could be biting him on the back.

wedgetail eagle said:
Agree. On the Sunday Footy show, Johns mentioned Sezer for Origin. Tupou would go well in Origin, they've always picked tall wingers.
I always thought Manly's Michael Robinson was overlooked when it came to Origin wingers.
Yeah, Scotland, that's in NSW ;)

EagleFromMay1967 said:
wedgetail eagle said:
Yeah, Scotland, that's in NSW ;)
Och, mon, They can take away our lives but they'll never take our Freedom Furniture!!

Michael Robinson was born in Wellington NSW. Raiders to Manly.
J.Hayne played for Fiji, TBA Carroll for NZ, the list goes on.

Robertson or Robinson ?
Michael Robertson rep winger for Scotland, returned to the Super League following Manly's 2008 GF win.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4