Is Rugby League dying? PLEASE READ!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well to throw in an anecdotal example. My brother was an NRL fan of the past but now prefers to watch gAyFL, fugby union and A-hole-league instead.
Reason?
Well he says that NRL is just 5 hit ups and a kick each time, constantly obsessed with holding the ball. There are no chip and chase plays or flick passes any more and the middle of the field is just a turnstile for teams to motor up through, and the scrums are fake.
There you go....
NYEagle

Unless something dramatic happens then yes I think RL is dying a slow death. It never really recovered from the Super League war imo. AFL, rugby union and soccer are all much better run and RL will eventually pay the price. Almost any fan older than about 25 will tell you how much better it was in "the good old days". You might expect that from people in their 60s and 70s, but if young people are saying it then you have a major problem.

92 and 106kg at 12yrs those are some big boys

Saw the same thing around 17/18 years ago, when my brothers were playing in those age groups in the Penrith comp. It's not just the huge Islander kids either - I remember them playing an Emu Plains side in u/13s or 14s who were huge, brawny kids nearly the size of my dad (who's over 6ft and around 98kg). My poor brother's team were all late developers (their Islanders were skinny little wingers!) and it really was like watching men against boys.

Not surprising that a lot of kids drop out around that age, they're getting battered and bruised, as well as smashed on the scoreboard every week when you have mismatches like that. The younger of my brothers was told to stop playing after 3 concussions in quick succession.

Saw the same thing around 17/18 years ago, when my brothers were playing in those age groups in the Penrith comp. It's not just the huge Islander kids either - I remember them playing an Emu Plains side in u/13s or 14s who were huge, brawny kids nearly the size of my dad (who's over 6ft and around 98kg). My poor brother's team were all late developers (their Islanders were skinny little wingers!) and it really was like watching men against boys.

Not surprising that a lot of kids drop out around that age, they're getting battered and bruised, as well as smashed on the scoreboard every week when you have mismatches like that. The younger of my brothers was told to stop playing after 3 concussions in quick succession.

People are ignoring the fact that Rugby League after the age of 12 is no longer a mass participation sport. It has become an "elitist" sport only for the biggest, fastest, strongest and best athletes.

Yes, a little guy can still make it and be a star, but he is an exception and he has to also be fast, smart and tough as a Mozgramme cooked steak.

Just out of interest, when was the last time your school had a visit from an NRL player, or even a development officer visited your school for a skills session or just a simple meet and greet? I'm in central west nsw we're a bit lucky to have the Panthers association with Bathurst, so when they hold an NRL game there, they send players up during the week to do school visits. This year their opposition, Canberra, got in on the act as well and sent some players to visit the schools in our area.

However, any area that doesn't have a direct link with an NRL club doesn't seem to even be on the radar. Central Coast Mariners and GWS have a pretty big presence out here and the Wallabies have held training camps out this way, and I believe those sports are doing this virtually everywhere.

I believe each NRL club should be assigned an area, and part of the NRL grant they receive should be spent on developing League in their area. Also, I think they should take two NRL games to their area, as well as send fringe/injured/suspended players for regular school/junior club visits. In return, that area effectively becomes their local area and they have 'first refusal' on any juniors that come from that area.

SBW actually came to New Engalnd to encourage kids to play league and he did running drills with us! But this was way back when he was playing for the Bulldogs...

I would love it if Manly got assigned to New England if any program like that happened! But it is unlikely here in New England. We need another visit by a player or development officer to rebuild the Rural League community into what it once was! We need that visit now before it is to late!!!

I'll be honest, if not for me being a fan for 52 years now I'd be lost to the game.

It's bull**** from top to bottom with the game full of some absolute dickheads running the game, commentating the game , refereeing the game and writing about the game ( journo's), in all honesty there's not a lot to love anymore.

It's not dead, but like many things today it's got so much competition and it's struggling to keep up.

My son plays in Group 6 CRL Under 13's. This area basically covers Moss Vale to Narellan. There are lots of talent in his age group. Only a sprinkling of Islander boys, i e 1-2 per team. I can also say their grass roots Under 13's rep squad is full of talented young players. After reading some of the above comments maybe this is the exception?? But rest assured there are some very talented young teens out there still choosing to play RL.

I have an 11 yo son, i am very active with the school, his friends etc. i dont know any kid in this area that plays rugby league. Not one. Soccer lots, afl, lots, union quite a few, swimmers, scouts, but not one who plays or has played ever.

As for me , manly , origin and nothing else.they just lost me. I keep hearing that the physical game, the off field antics are driving the fans away but for mine, its all about the admin, the judiciary, the refs, the rule changes, the bias, the draw. Its a basket case, with no balls and no leadership. They have no idea so they constantly bow to media, coaches.. Strong people make strong decisions about what is best. We have weak leaders that are never strong about any issue in the game

Controversy has always been part of footy. Its part of sport, but its supposed to be on the field, not in the boardroom

If there is such a great bond and commitment in that team, why didn’t Peats higher paid team mates offer to take a collective pay cut so he could stay?
After the Bulldogs did that years ago to keep their illegal team together clubs are no longer allowed that solution. Someone had to go.

I think that Phil Rothfield’s article regarding how thuggery is turning parents and their children away from the game, was both articulate and very well written.
Didn't see the article but league has always had the element of thuggery, it is part of its primeval attraction - heroes v genuine dangerous villains. What has changed is social attitudes to thuggery. As well as awareness around brain injuries, etc.

The game still has a solid future but is losing ground fast to other sports, and from what I've heard, the ARL Commission (aka John Grant), which is charged with responsibility for the game, has done precious little in fostering country, district and junior comps.

Sadly OP, I think League is in trouble. Like many on here, I just watch Manly and Origin, whereas I used to watch as much as I could.
The problems for me:
At kid level, AFL and Soccer are slaughtering the rugby codes in their attention to grass roots. That means money and access to player clinics.
At NRL level, where to start?
The NRL itself is not run like a professional organisation. It's full of people with ties to clubs where there is as much cheating as any team can get away with. Cheating seems to be encouraged.
The Third Party Agreements have created a hopelessly uneven playing field.
The response to Parramatta's cheating was ridiculously light.
The media is the most sycophantic of any sport. There is zero criticism or analysis of the game, the powers that be, the clubs. It takes an outsider like Kate McClymont to break a story or a leaker who threatens to give it to another RL journo. These people choose being buddies with players and good treatment from clubs over doing their jobs.
There are rule changes EVERY year and often during a season. Ridiculous.
The rules are so open to interpretation that those qualified to rule on them, cannot agree.
The scheduling is a farce where Brisbane gets regular seven day turnarounds and next to no Monday nights while others cop the most ragged of schedules.
The judiciary is completely inconsistent.
The game itself has become entirely predictable in the way it's played.
Now that we have individual owners of clubs, it's treated as a corporate money making venture rather than the old fashioned clubs with fans, in some cases.
Players are too tightly controlled by clubs and managers to the point where journos can't get decent in depth interviews with them.
An unbalanced State of Origin is not good for the game.
Players from Fiji can represent Australia etc. For what purpose?
Player managers run roughshod over clubs when it comes to negotiating.
The NRL pays lip service to player welfare.

If there were no Manly, I would have zero interest in the sport. And even Manly is testing my limits right now - but don't get me started!

Last edited:
I'll be completely honest and say my interest in the club, and the game is at an all time low. I know that leaves me open to criticism and nastiness, but it is, what it is.

Normally, I'd really be looking forward to a Cowboys / Broncos game a Friday night, but found myself watching Sydney vs. The Hawks, and boy, what a game.

AFL's Auskick system is streets ahead of anything League offers, so my boy took that up at school, and jeez, is he good.

Watching The Swans vs. Manly right now is chalk and cheese. Manly are this chalk flavored bland brand of nothingness, with no character, heart and soul - 0 connection with the fans. The AFL boys are a brotherhood, lead by quality young men, great leaders, and you watch them interract and connect with the fans.

I personally know the Shneider family, so I know how customer "service" you could call it is instilled in their players.

Since Penn has taken over, for whatever reason, and I really respect the way he pours money into our club, we have lost our identity. We are a souless husk, and that has transitioned to on field performances.

I say this knowing 100% we are in for another loss tonight. Ok, we may show up (I thought we would last game as well), but we'll be watching another heartless, Wallmart, no character effort (and that's the worst thing).

A loss against Parra like we had was acceptable. We tried.

We'll be 4 wins, 7 losses and maybe 14th after this round. Roosters are improving, and it was a tough game against The Knights.

Boy, I hope our teflon club doesn't get the wooden spoon this year.

BUT, at least I have The Swans. A team connecting with my son at school.

Boy, I hope our teflon club doesn't get the wooden spoon this year.

with you there Ryan and yes Rorters are improving and the wooden spoon could quite well be between kniggitts and us ... would be so bad if we had someone like Gus Gould instigating a grand plan ... I hope Bozo is !!

Whilst the points everyone makes are valid and many of them are fact rather than opinion, I don't get it.
AFL just isn't as inherantly good a sport. Union is what League used to be before they made it interesting enough for people to pay for. And soccer doesn't even have hits. Why would you play or watch a sport without hits?
We're at a natural advantage so if we are losing out there are many people in many positions that need to be held accountable. They're sinking the unsinkable ship.

I have zero interest in NRL outside of manly. My boy luvs manly as well but plays soccer and is really good at it. I can't see him switching to nrl any time soon. I haven't had a lot of experience in junior RL circles but all I hear is its littered with oversized Polynesian kids and aggresive wannabe parents who live their own failed sporting ability through their kids. Perhaps this is not just confined to nrl.
What also worries me about nrl is the atrocious top down message it sends to kids through the numerous club captains on a weekly basis. I still cannot get over the way the likes of gallen, thurston, and others treat the officials blowing up at them on the field every time a call doesn't go their way. The nrl could well learn from union in this area. Union refs don't take crap if spoken to poorly no matter who it is the player goes to the bin. IMO the sport is in steady decline against the other codes.

And not unusual, both were Polynesian, and the other teams in the comp also had some monsters. Most clubs by the u/12 - u/14 only have one grade, so your either good enough, or your out.
My nephew played under 14's where the halfback weighed more than me, he was 97kg.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4