Is Matai Serious???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plenty of ifs 2015
Manly can potentially challenge anyone in this competition if all on song...
prob is footy is not a perfect world & these players whinging are our more prominant champion players who you can bet as individuals, will play great....its what they do.
Unfortunately these same players never will become immortal stature because a common trait true champions share is the ability to lift those around them...this poor infectious attitude kills that department & unless sorted early it could well be another good enough but not quite there seasons, losing some tight games due to the 17 not having the desire when it counts.

I assume that ferris and skivvi didn't just cold call these couple of dudes and invite them over for some couch action ?! It stands to reason it must have been a club organised event and media op. So who is the muppet in charge of media that allows the press that comes out of this event to be about matai wanting to leave manly ?? FFS it's embarrassing.

It'll be sad day when Stevie hangs up his manly jersey. But until we work out whether that'll be sooner rather than later why are we giving him the opportunity to speculate about it at club sanctioned events ?? He should be given a rap over the knuckles for his comments and whoever allowed it to happen needs a kick up the arse. If we are going to put players in front of the media please can they be ones who want to be here and will do the right thing by the club and its sponsors. Someone needs to read their PR101 course notes again

No idea why all the hype around Foz

Love his heart, but he's just a tougher Josh Reynolds from NZ minus the thuggery and double the low skill set, he's great when he's next to DCE but without him i just don't know how good he'll look anymore

As long as our cherry stays intact we're laughing

We should have let him go to the Warriors when he wanted, kept Gift and everyone would have been happy. This has been a monumental balls up over the last 12 months and so it continues. In fact we should have kept Dean Whare and let Matai go in 2012. Great player he has been but his best will be well behind him at end 2015.

I didn't think the anything Matai said was too bad. A bit early to write off 2015 yet. I do agree that fans don't want to hear talk of players leaving next year before kickoff. Journos will jump on anything though. I think I'm over wishing for players to stay. If they want to go so be it. The tightness of senior group became the enemy within and the Manly club needs to see that what's already gone down with certain players never happens again. We'll be right. Go Manly!

Here's the thing

We all complain when players trot out vanilla answers. What if he had gone down the old "I will stay here for ever " (ala hoppa jnr) and then ended up leaving....imagine the reactions

He has not said he does not want to play this year, he had said that end of his contract there are options he would like to explore

For me i gutted he might leave but refreshed that a player has come out early to state his intentions (plus you would think that can only potentially help with other player retention )

Why all the stress?? Lets just enjoy the efforts he will no doubt put in this year, and cross the contract negotiation bridges when we get to them.

Every single player from every single team is well and truly entitled to do whatever is best for them and their families when their contracts are up. If he decides to go, then he'll go, and it will be for all the right reasons as far as he's concerned. Us popping brain vessels isn't going to change a thing.

So someone who's contract is up this year threw out a few things he might be thinking about when the time comes. What's the big deal?

If he leaves, then he goes with my blessing and good wishes.

I'll only have a problem if it becomes apparent that he's not putting in this year. I seriously doubt this will be the case.

One more year of mentoring for our up-and-comers, Steve gets his pay day and his replacement, whoever that may be, is better equipped to take over.

And we're left with the memories of his contribution, two premierships and the thrill of Manly participating in four grand finals during his time with us.

Who exactly is the loser here?

Its just disappointing. I can fully understand a player at his age knowing his next contract will likely be his last and wanting to be closer to family. Still though the thought of a great lining up in opposition colours isn't a good one. Not sure how I will feel in round 1 with Choc in Blue & Gold, but I have a feeling I won't be cheering for him and hoping he has a good game.

Masked Eagle said:
Its just disappointing. I can fully understand a player at his age knowing his next contract will likely be his last and wanting to be closer to family. Still though the thought of a great lining up in opposition colours isn't a good one. Not sure how I will feel in round 1 with Choc in Blue & Gold, but I have a feeling I won't be cheering for him and hoping he has a good game.

I don't disagree ME, but I've been a supporter who was disappointed when players including Bob Fulton, Grahame Eadie, Ron Gibbs, Paul Vautin and Steve Menzies all left the club when I thought they had more to offer.

We've had huge success at various stages since these guys left and I'm convinced we will survive the loss of our current great players.

It's just part and parcel of following a professional footy team and we just have to deal with it .

Hey guys..........my 2 cents worth. I am tired of all this innuendo & talk of player discontent. Players sign contracts once they've read & agreed to the terms & conditions & are satisfied / content. Suddenly they don't like what they have agreed to & want more! Let Matai go now if that's his wish, in fact let anyone who is not happy leave! Money saved form not having to pay out the contracts can be used to hold on to, primarily DCE & to a lesser extent Foz! I just wish we could start a new season without controversy & in fighting!

The real issue is:

Why do I post news like this in the rumoured and confirmed signings thread when I know it's going to be it's own thread down here???? Why ge why?....it's seconds wasted from your life!!!!

Also I think I got the intricacies of the definitions correct.

"Doing what's best for your family."

Young star: Getting the most cash from any club anywhere regardless of club and family's geography.

Fading Star: Getting the most cash from any club that's near immediate family/in laws/lost uncle/pet/grumpy cat/fav burger place.

Young and fading star: Use managers and media to drive up bargaining price.

Matai: Either way, legend!

edit: why hasn't anyone mentioned to him about moving his inlaws from the coast down to manly after all these years????

Either way, Matai has had to be taped together to play for years yet every game he puts it all out there.

He's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants.

globaleagle said:
why hasn't anyone mentioned to him about moving his inlaws from the coast down to manly after all these years????

Not that easy to just move people to the Northern Beaches. Home prices make it very tough.

Then he needed a better manager/contract negotiator!

(But I see what you're saying)

Global Eagle - I think that's why he's dropping these hints - to drum up some interest. The article has no context as to how it all came up anyway so it looks like they've just pulled a quote from a bigger conversation and run with it. Oh well - that's par for the course for us.

Regardless, I'd be very happy for him to go to the Warriors to play out his career. I think that would actually be a good end for him. Family has always meant a lot to Matai, especially with his sick younger brother so being able to go home and have them there for the back end of his career would probably mean a lot to him.

One note - good to see Joe Kelly getting the team some press for just odds and sods. The Iranian soccer thing, the Lupe FIFA thing. Definitely out of left field (not so much the Iranian one as they were training at Narra) but still, good to see. And a nice change... Maybe less soccer related stuff though Joe.

Reading between the lines..I think his kids must be little terrors, the Phenergins not working anymore, and he and his partner are sleep deprived zombies. They need babysitters asap, and they don't care how far they have to go to get them!
You know when a blokes keen to move closer to his out-laws, the kids have beaten him down.:p

From that SMH link

1420701245856.jpg

Beat that: Rappers Lupe Fiasco and B.o.B take on Sea Eagles Jamie Buhrer and Steve Matai in FIFA 15 on Xbox One. Photo: Ben Rushton

Lupe Fiasco? Sounds like a description of Todd Carney's NRL career.
(hmm wonder if he can play prop?)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
From that SMH link

1420701245856.jpg

Beat that: Rappers Lupe Fiasco and B.o.B take on Sea Eagles Jamie Buhrer and Steve Matai in FIFA 15 on Xbox One. Photo: Ben Rushton

Lesson to Ferris: Never get photographed next to a bunch of cool black dudes. Especially with your mouth open. You may just like like a great big dag. :p

SeaEagleRock8 said:
From that SMH link

1420701245856.jpg

Signing Fiasco would be a disaster.

wombatgc said:
You know when a blokes keen to move closer to his out-laws, the kids have beaten him down.:p
They've beaten Steve down? Sign them up now :exclamation:

His next contract is his last contract. Manly is not going to sign him for three years, let him play out 2015 and then he can do what he wants.

If he does not perform during this year or starts to undermine the team send him down to the reggies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6