Is it true about Brett playing final rounds of this year's NRL?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Hi, not sure where I heard it but there was talk of Brett being able to play in last weeks of rounds. I was under impression he was out for season but end of year is 16 weks away so possibility? Can anyone confirm or have spoken to Brett?? I'm not stirring the pot.

The original announcement was that Brett was out until just before the semis but it was shortly after changed to out for the whole season. I have nothing that has changed this prognosis. I know he raced to be ready last year but the impression was that he wasn't 100% when he came back. Obviously we want to prolong his career.

I would love to see a fit and fast Brett Stewart back in the side this year but I don't think it is going to happen. Might be good also for him to get a certain legal matter out of the way in order to make a fresh start (assuming the case goes well) in 2011, though it would be hard to miss out on the 2010 premiership win!! :) :) :)

At this stage I think it would be best if he stayed out for the rest of the season than come back a week before semis. Its best that he gets some pre-season training under his belt and get match fitness back before getting thrown into high intensity finals.

In addition by that stage Farrer would be more comfortable with his role at fullback and would have developed better combinations. 

But if we were desperate well then for sure throw him in.

agreed.

I cant believe I am going to say this, but at this stage I wouldn't want to change the team around too much and Brett may actually be bad for the balance of the team that late into the season

His court case resumes in September I believe? It's the worst possible timing for a return to the field. I know that footy is the best way for him to get his mind off stuff happening elsewhere in his life, but the public scrutiny will be magnified if he takes the field before the finals.

I think he'd be fit by then though. Last time he injured himself in week six of the NRL, and came back before the end of the year. This time around he did it in round one, that's nearly two extra months of rehab. Seems unusual that this would be a longer recovery time by that much.

As for whether I'd rush him back....well, the only reason why Manly aren't $2.50 favourites to win the comp this season is because Snake is on the sideline. But you guys are right - with the court case hanging over his head it's a distraction that the club doesn't need (even though it'll be a fair distraction even if he isn't playing).

Another thing though: on the Sunday Roast, Terry Kennedy was talking about Manly travelling well and signed off with "and they've still got Brett Stewart to come back at the end of the year". Take from that what you want...

I assume the court case will go for a week ? I think Manly management may have suggested to him to wait till the trial is over & then decide whether he wil play in the 1st week in the semis, it would also be devestating for Farrer too

G'day Darren.  Brett won't be playing again this season.  He is undergoing more surgery tomorrow which will involve breaking his knee and realigning it 3 degrees.  

He will be doing well to make it back to the NRL next year, asuming that the surgery is sucessful, let alone this year.  

This will be the place to bring it up, I was surprised to see him on crutches again on Saturday night. Has he had some more work done or is that the norm ?

tookey link said:
G'day Darren.  Brett won't be playing again this season.  He is undergoing more surgery tomorrow which will involve breaking his knee and realigning it 3 degrees. 

He will be doing well to make it back to the NRL next year, assuming that the surgery is successful, let alone this year. 

Owww. Where did you hear this Tooks?

Jethro link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=183273.msg262130#msg262130 date=1273461669]

G'day Darren.  Brett won't be playing again this season.  He is undergoing more surgery tomorrow which will involve breaking his knee and realigning it 3 degrees. 

He will be doing well to make it back to the NRL next year, assuming that the surgery is successful, let alone this year. 

Owww. Where did you hear this Tooks?
[/quote]

Someone who knows him.

My sister in law spoke to Brett last week and the part about the additional surgery this week was also confirmed in that conversation.

thanks guys, gee, sounds terrible, hope he can get back, on a huge contract which is a major concern, probably highest paid player in club  :-\

Darren link said:
thanks guys, gee, sounds terrible, hope he can get back, on a huge contract which is a major concern, probably highest paid player in club  :-\

Along with a percentage reduction for long service to a club, the salary cap could also do with having some sort of reduction for lengthy injuries like they do in the NFL in the states. An injured list where some of the cost of that players salary is taken off the cap for the period of the injury. This would allow clubs a little freedom to replace players if needed throughout the year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4