[Resurrected] Is gifty gone?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Oh I'm sure the amazing amount of effort the nrl put into getting the mercenary sbw back to playing league (for 2 years) will be reciprocated for someone who's been at the one club for a decade, showing loyalty to the game, and wants to continue his loyalty/role model ways.

The nrl will look after this one. Nothing to fear.

bones said:
Dean Ritchie, true to form, is trying to use the Glenn Stewart situation to try and turn fans against Dave Perry.
Gee.... I wonder who would be behind this?
Dean Ritchie?

Manly should get a Union mob on board and conjure up an offer to switch codes, then we will see how quick the NRL mobilise to protect their Product :idea:

I'm sure the club is doing everything they possibly can in retaining Glenn so i think it might be a bit harsh with the restrictions on the club. Let's look at the team as is:

B.Stewart - Indespensible and Rep player when fit
J.Taufua - Def future rep player after another year or two
J.Lyon - Best Centre in the comp (no bias as my wife is a tigs supporter and thinks he is fantastic)
S.Matai - on current form worth every cent and lucky that he is still with us
K.Foran - Kiwi captain/future Manly captain (shame he isn't a nsw born player)
D.Cherry-Evans - Will command big $$ as he has everything to indicate future captain not just Manly but QLD & Aus
A.Watmough - Rep Player
G.Stewart - Rep Player when fully fit

Not to mntion the other 17 players you need to have for the first team (Hiku, Lawrence, Symonds, Ballin etc) and all the talent we have in Jake, Tom, Clint etc coming through.

The blame should go to the NRL for bending rules for some teams to sign/retain defectors to the comp whilst teams doing their best to really develop genuine superstars get nothing for all the hard work and investment.

The only reason any fan should be complaining to the current board is to force them to go directly to the NRL and fast track any long-serving player allowances.

There will be some pain in the short term at some stage as all the players want to stay but can't... best not to dwell on it and enjoy what we have now & just hope that it all gets sorted somehow.

HappilyManly said:
Manly should get a Union mob on board and conjure up an offer to switch codes, then we will see how quick the NRL mobilise to protect their Product :idea:

Yes Wolfman could play the position where the bloke throws the ball in the line-out

But seriously, it is an unfortunate situation where players are commenting on this, urging the club to re-sign players, when their own packages (some large, some not) are the reason for the squeeze. Gifty should be able to stay (in a perfect world), but we know he was heavily back-ended in his contract. Now it is someone else's turn, and we need to find BIG $$ for some key players. It would be courteous for the club to keep him informed better, and make an offer to their best ability. At least there would be some resolution then.

Manly must be one of the few NRL clubs that hasn't signed an established first grader in recent seasons (I think Canberra may be another). Our recruitment team has done wonders turning players rejected by their clubs into top players who are now being wooed by other clubs. (How much would Doesn'tmatta pay to have Horo, Taufa, Blair, Buhrer and Wolfman back?).

I don't blame our club for not being able to hold onto veterans such as Kite and Rose. Let's hope that it doesn't happen with Gift, but as others on here have said, this is something that the NRL could rectify easily.

The NRL is said to be coming out on the next week or two with changes to the salary cap including long serving players allowance (rumoured to be increasing only by $50k a year to $250k - big deal).

Raiders also got Berrigan from the Boncos ( late in his career it must be said).

Brett White was a big pickup from the Storm, tho seems to have struggled in recent years.

I'm proud Manly give so many fringe players a go, and how they thrive in our culture.

Players like Gifty help create that culture.

The Who said:
Manly must be one of the few NRL clubs that hasn't signed an established first grader in recent seasons (I think Canberra may be another). Our recruitment team has done wonders turning players rejected by their clubs into top players who are now being wooed by other clubs. (How much would Doesn'tmatta pay to have Horo, Taufa, Blair, Buhrer and Wolfman back?).

I don't blame our club for not being able to hold onto veterans such as Kite and Rose. Let's hope that it doesn't happen with Gift, but as others on here have said, this is something that the NRL could rectify easily.

I think the NRL would be jizzing themselves at the thought of tearing the Sea Eagles apart and having them not as successful for a few years.

And similarly (as they tried to do in 2013) they would almost give anything for a Roosters v Bunnies GF.

Don't be surprised to see some changes to the long standing players deal AFTER we have been ripped apart!!

Yes I know I am a cynical bastard these days BUT I have been driven to it

I cannot overstate just how important I think Gifty is the culture at Manly. I don't want us to lose another hard head; I love seeing our forwards take it to the opposition with aggression! He is an absolute champion, and one of the toughest and most uncompromising players in the game. Personally, I will be gutted...

Shoe1 said:
But seriously, it is an unfortunate situation where players are commenting on this, urging the club to re-sign players, when their own packages (some large, some not) are the reason for the squeeze. Gifty should be able to stay (in a perfect world), but we know he was heavily back-ended in his contract. Now it is someone else's turn, and we need to find BIG $$ for some key players. It would be courteous for the club to keep him informed better, and make an offer to their best ability. At least there would be some resolution then.

Spot on Shoe1. If some of these guys feel so strongly maybe they should get together and take a bit off their slice of the pie on the proviso it goes to Glenn's offer.

Snake said:
I cannot overstate just how important I think Gifty is the culture at Manly. I don't want us to lose another hard head; I love seeing our forwards take it to the opposition with aggression! He is an absolute champion, and one of the toughest and most uncompromising players in the game. Personally, I will be gutted...

We all will be. But we must also consider the future. As we only have limited space under the cap should we not sign promising juniors like the Turbo brothers (Jake and Tom)?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6