[Resurrected] Is gifty gone?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gold coast would rank as number 1.....if it wasn't for the people here LOL. Full of fwits and scumbags. Best weather, best beaches, worst inhabitants.

mickqld said:
Gold coast would rank as number 1.....if it wasn't for the people here LOL. Full of fwits and scumbags. Best weather, best beaches, worst inhabitants.

Totally agree. There is no soul or identity for the place. Too much flash in the pan syndrome.

manlyfan76 said:
Mary river cattle station many years ago for me. Diesel generators for power. No phone. And dirty drinking water. It was a great time!
Ha, great stuff, MF76!
I know the place, east of Pine Creek.
True, a great life if you don't weaken, haha.

wedgetail eagle said:
manlyfan76 said:
Mary river cattle station many years ago for me. Diesel generators for power. No phone. And dirty drinking water. It was a great time!
Ha, great stuff, MF76!
I know the place, east of Pine Creek.
True, a great life if you don't weaken, haha.

You have not really lived until you have spent a year or two on a cattle station, especially a remote place. It can be the most amazing, truly free existence on the planet, or the most wide open spaced jail cell ever. It all comes down to your character and strength of mind.

Me.....I absolutely loved it!! Hot beer, flies, dust storms, snakes, feral pigs, massive thunder storms, kero lanterns/fridges, the majestic wedgetail eagles (the birds lol) I really want my kids to experience it one day before they are much older. You yearn for it once you leave it. :shy:

Lets get back on topic. Gifty.

I dont want to lose him at all, especially considering how much he adds to our team and how both Stewarts lift when they play together. But if the money is just not there, what choice do we have? Surely a long serving player should get better immunity from the cap. Thats one way the less rich clubs could compete with the 3rd party top ups of rich clubs

So we all sit and talk about loyalty to the player and rewarding experience and all the rest, but surely there reaches a point where it is on the player to show loyalty to the club and perhaps even put it first.

You would hope that our older guys would be keen to keep the group together and take unders to ensure that the club remains competitive. I'm not talking massive unders, but slightly less thasn market value. Think about the detrimental impact a huge contract can have when you feed it to a (hypothetical player) who may be a little be past their best, or maybe a little more injury prone these days etc. It doesn't really strike me as the move of a great club man to nickle and dime the club- and I'm not saying that is what Gift is doing exactly- resulting in losing promising juniors.

Do you want to pay massive dollars to keep an old stalwart around for another year or two, or do you want to give them a slightly reduced contract to invest more in the youth and future stalwarts?

I'll get shot down when I say this, but as much as I'd love to see the Stewart boys conclude their days in Maroon and White, if we have to make a choice between stalwarts and young guns, I'd go young guns.

Every club needs stalwarts, and so do we but when players are at the end of their days (Kitey is a great example), I think you offer them a decent contract but not a massive contract.

If they decide to stay and finish their days at the club that's taken care of them then all well and good, if, like Kitey (and this isn't being anti him in any way), the decide on a big money couple of years then I think we just have to live with it.

Kitey went, Skivvy stayed for less.......their decisions both ways.

mozgrame said:
manlyfan76 said:
bob dylan said:
I the last 5 weekends I have been in

Melbourne
Sydney
Canberra
Gold Coast

Anyone want to rank them.
To live or for a weekend?
There is some great spots in Sydney but there is also the entire bulldogs catchment area.
Melbourne: once you have lived anywhere else it will never rank above the other place.
Canberra um no.
Goldie? well surfers is the toilet of the GC but it's weather is hard to beat, all year round so if you like being outside it wins hands down- just be prepared for EARLY sun rises.
Haha! Yeah those early sunrises catch a few visitors off side. In CQ here, in Summer it's sunrise 5/5.30am - sunset 7pm. Daylight savings?? Yeah right!

And that is only the sunrise and sunset times. First light is around 4:25 and last light is around 7:10.

When Our number 1 ticket holder finishes the unployment rate in Canberra will be increasing significantly.

manlyfan76 said:
There is something about being chased by a croc/ taipan/ 130kg boar that really gives you an appreciation for life.

Without the threat of death, you're not really living life to the fullest. :)

The Raiders told some club members at a function last week that they had signed a representative forward for next season. Of course those sorts of things can fall apart or be total lies (ie Lyon to the Titans) but that's what happened. The toughest thing a club does is now when to let players go, now this might not be just our decision but if could be a win/win for the club as long as we reinvest the money wisely and don't blow it.

At the post-match signing session at the leagues club on Sunday I asked Glenn "you're not a Raider are you?"
He laughed and said "no mate".

Jamie Buhrer is also a representative forward who Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is obviously a fan of. He picked him in his origin side a couple of years back.

Masked Eagle said:
The Raiders told some club members at a function last week that they had signed a representative forward
Good, then it wouldn't be Gift or Buhrer, they are former rep forwards ;)

mozgrame said:

You yearn for it once you leave it. :shy:

Absolutely. We miss it everyday. The kids loved it too.
It's a shame we didn't catch up for a beer when I was up there @wedgetail eagle

I believe that the good players, who make the big $ for about 10 years in their career, deserve to get as much as they can before they finish as the "6 figure" jobs after that, are very few for an elite athlete.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4