Is Des as good as Wayne Bennett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Is Des as good as Bennett? The answer would have to be not that we know of. Come back in 25 years time and maybe the answer is yes.

In 25 years time the arguments will still be if monahan was better than that short guy that went to Bradford :)

Benny has an amazing record, but he has always had great players to chose from.

Canberra, Broncos and Saints. All three clubs have had the best available rosters.

Send Benny to a cellar dwellar or Roosters or Melbourne who have no juniors.

we have a huge amount of internationals in our squad. And when you win the GF contracts have to be upgraded.

People have forgotten that Snake and Wolfy havent played all year and are worth a mint to say the least.

Des is bringing through the young blood and doing a great job. It ****s me that people have to compare people all the time. Bennett is a great coach and Des has a long way to go

Shire Eagle - its not about comparisons.
Its about striving to be the best. WB is the best coach in recent times whichever way its looked at.
Records aside - Bennett does seem to be able to get great respect from the players to the point where they really do play their best.
I'm not sure that's the same for Des.
And thats a worry.

BAZ link said:
Shire Eagle - its not about comparisons.
Its about striving to be the best. WB is the best coach in recent times whichever way its looked at.
Records aside - Bennett does seem to be able to get great respect from the players to the point where they really do play their best.
I'm not sure that's the same for Des.
And thats a worry.

If you think that Des doesn't have the utmost respect & admiration of not only the playing squad but the entire Sea Eagles organization then you must have had your head in the sand over the past 5 years mate.

It seems like the only people who don't show him a lot of respect are the fans.

Wolfpack how do you know that?
I'm not so sure. How about this?
Des is cranky and rules with an iron fist.
He gets what he wants and that rubs some people and maybe players up the wrong way.
Des's style works for some players and not for others.
I reckon I may be closer to the truth.

Whos Monaghan?
Ohh the halfback responsible for the blunder year of 05?
Hooker or GTFO

And do you mean that short guy who played a massive hand in 40-0?

*waits to be trolled*

BAZ link said:
He gets what he wants and that rubs some people and maybe players up the wrong way.

Stewart seemed to be rubbed up the wrong way after the case when speaking of Des didn't he

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=BAZ link=topic=185696.msg301717#msg301717 date=1286591745]

Stewart seemed to be rubbed up the wrong way after the case when speaking of Des didn't he
[/quote]

You're right Kiwi, the Stewarts as a whole seem to dislike Des for the way he treated them during the whole affair don't they.

Don't even get me started on how Des quelled the boardroom troubles in 09 through the pure power of being disliked.

In fact it's amazing how Des can rule with an iron fist & be disliked when another person is signing his pay cheques. Darth Des is strong in the ways of the dark side.

Bennett has better stats than Des because of his longer career & the better players he has had at his disposal over that time.

Both give and recieve great loyalty from their players and take an interest in the players off the field as well.

I think due to his experience Bennett is the better coach but if you look at the inovative ideas Des has introduced such as GPS, the bark, the calves blood and after game treatment of players he brings a lot to the table. 

I think it's pretty cool there is a thread that even questions this. Definitely speaks wonders for Des' ability. Other clubs over the past few years may have sunk with all the off field crap (board-room squabbles and everything), season ending injuries etc...but nope, we've made the finals year-in-year-out.

Hmm, if its a problem that Des rules with an iron fist, then maybe we should be more like the Cowboys where it appears that certain players rule the roost. We could then mimic their success.
Any time a player speaks of Hasler its always positive, and along the lines of of "his bark is worse than his bite".
If he's such a tyrant, why do players like Menzies and Farrar want to come back to the club? Surely they'd be looking for an easier gig?
And anyone who thinks that Bennett doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it is dreaming.
There's nothing worse that ruling by committee - nothing ever gets done, and everything is a compromise. So of someone like Des lives and dies by his achievements, then he has avery right to be the decision maker.
Lets compare him in another 10 years and see where he stands. In any event, he goes down already as one of the best we've had, and right up there with most of the modern era. 

There are a few players around right now who control the club and can have the coach gone.

Lockyer at Broncos, Thurston at Cowboys, Hayne at Parra and the 3 main culprits.

A club needs to let the coach run the team and if a player has a problem let them go or move them into reserves.

I think you have to look at the clubs Bennett has coached.
Probably the richest clubs in the game.
No shortage of funds for facilities, equipment, training aids, coaches, physio's etc etc etc. The only thing money can't buy is love.

Let's try to look at this question rationally.
How many people become career coaches in NRL?
How many have iron fists?
How many players have iron chins?
How many fans are called BAZ?
I rest my case.

Whatever you reckon SER8.
You seem to know everything.
I have one question.
Why do you kill every debate stone dead?

BAZ you got 3 pages of responses, I'd be satisfied with that most days of the week.

ps I do know everything, you got a problem with that?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4