Is Des as good as Wayne Bennett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wayne Bennett will probably go down as the best coach ever, however I won't agree until he brings a club like Cronulla to a premiership. He coached Brisbane with generally oustanding personnel and he inherited a pretty handy St George side with great depth and juniors. Dessie rebuilt the eagles from scratch after the Northern Eagles & Peter Sharp sideshow & I wouldn't swap him for Bennett.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286399517[/time]

Wayne Bennett will probably go down as the best coach ever, however I won't agree until he brings a club like Cronulla to a premiership. He coached Brisbane with generally oustanding personnel and he inherited a pretty handy St George side with great juniors.

I think it's hard to compare Des with Bennett or even Bellamy.
He needs many more years of experience up his belt, before that comparison is close to fair.

I'm MORE than happy with Des, I wouldn't swap him for anyone else.
I think he's done a fantastic job since he's been in the position, & I hope he's there for many more to come.
Very underrated!!

I think Bennett has earned to right to be described as one of the best ever.

However I also think that people forget that Des rebuilt the football side of the club from scratch. We were broke and had no players. So in addition to trying to have the team perform each week, he had major off-field distractions to deal with.

While coaches like Bennett and Bellamy might have had great success on the field (not withstanding Melbourne's cheating the cap), they haven't faced the same issues that Des has overcome. People don't take that into account when rating coaches.

I also agree that we should judge him in a few more years time. Comparing him to Bennett is a bit like comparing a young gun five-eighth to Lockyer. The young gun will always lose out on the comparison.

Finally, I really rate the way Des involved himself in Brett's problem. I think that Bennett may have also stood by a player in a similar situation, but I'm not sure that other coaches wouldn't have kept their distance lest it tarnish their image.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we signed Des up for 5yrs...he just feels like Manly to me.
Bennett is the benchmark but the guy dead-set reminds me of a funeral director..brilliant coach but has they personality of an outdoor plastic chair.

Q: If you throw Des, Beaver and a goat into a bed, what do you get ?

A: A fight between some people on here as to who jumps in first.

All time Coaches since 1954

1. Jack Gibson
2. Wayne Bennett
3. Bobby Fulton
4. Clive Churchill
5. Harry Bath
6. Phil Gould
7. Tim Sheens
8. Warren Ryan
9. Frank Stanton
10. Brian Smith

Des wouldnt Rate in the top 10

In the end coaches are measured by Premierships. Des has one and Brian Smith doesn't.

Silly question in the end as the roster that one has is a factor in the equation. Nathan Brown had a magnificant roster at the Dragons but never get them home. Bozo won two premierships with Manly but lost four grand finals plus one with the rorters. However, just to get those teams there was a great achievement.

mickqld link said:
You're spot on there SER8. Mercenaries dont work at our club. Des, Bozo, Stanton,Willey all club legends and the only ones to coach premierships.

Agree with this.  Bennett is in my view a much better coach than anyone else, but Des is the best man for the job at Manly for this reason.

manlyborn link said:
Bennett is the benchmark but the guy dead-set reminds me of a funeral director..brilliant coach but has they personality of an outdoor plastic chair.

Hasler is hardly the most vocal in the media.

And anyone who wouldn't have Bennet as our coach if the opportunity arose is a dead set idiot. Des has done a good job given the circumstances, but Bennett is in a class of his own given the current crop of coaches.

look when bennet came into broncos he had 1st class personnel  & it still took him 2-3yrs  , even with all that class to get to their 1st gf.. dessie started us from scratch no big names & in 6yrs has taken us to 2 gf`s &  a record score of 40 nil in one, something that bennetts sides with all their internationals couldnt do..  you could give ken shine ( former rabbitohs coach)  any of them broncos sides of the 90`s & 80`s & he would have won 1 also.. 

Post  automatically merged: [time]1286414185[/time]

bennet  didnt have to build nothing up, his  top rate players were handed to him on a platter,  henjak is the one thats left to build it back up again with the raw recruits he had this yr & next but give em time they will mature into a force.. then bennett will step back in & every1 will be applauding him again , but he wasnt there in the rebuilding stages ever.. even saints had a good roster always have, just needed a better coach than brown ..

Rambo1987 link said:

1. Jack Gibson
2. Wayne Bennett
3. Bobby Fulton
4. Clive Churchill
5. Harry Bath
6. Phil Gould
7. Tim Sheens
8. Warren Ryan
9. Frank Stanton
10. Brian Smith

Some questionable choices there, particularly at 8 and 10.  Wok's effort taking Blocker and Sirro off in the 89 GF forever tarred his reputation in my view, and his commentary on the ABC i more recent times has not done him any favours either.

Also, how could you forget Phil Economidis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Economidis)?   ;)

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=Rambo1987 link=topic=185696.msg301342#msg301342 date=1286410353]

1. Jack Gibson
2. Wayne Bennett
3. Bobby Fulton
4. Clive Churchill
5. Harry Bath
6. Phil Gould
7. Tim Sheens
8. Warren Ryan
9. Frank Stanton
10. Brian Smith

Some questionable choices there, particularly at 8 and 10.  Wok's effort taking Blocker and Sirro off in the 89 GF forever tarred his reputation in my view, and his commentary on the ABC i more recent times has not done him any favours either.

Also, how could you forget Phil Economidis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Economidis)?  ;)

[/quote]
Terry Fearnley was a much better coach than often given credit for !
From memory 2 grand finals and N.S.W first state of origin series, can't quite remember if he ever coached Australia ?

yeah fearnely, ted glossop, ron wiley they were  all good coaches too in there time they were up there..

With all the rorting by the Storm over the years we will get to see how good a coach Bellamy actually is next year when he is judged on a even playing field to other coaches .

If he can get The Storm into the GF next year we can rate him highly but he cannot be judged based on past results with a team spending $1.5m more than the rest. 

Up until recently Des had an amazing track record at developing cast offs from other clubs, nearly every player to a man had developed under his coaching.  That should have been a selling point for the club when trying to attract young players especially.  Playing for a club and coach that will make you a better player.  Our cheap buys the last few seasons haven't worked out as well.

On Des though, I'm fairly certain he has stated on a number of occasions he does not see himself as a career coach.  I'm equally as certain that Toovs will be our next coach.  Anyone hazzard to guess if Des has a timeframe of when he will hand over to Toovs?

Masked Eagle link said:
Up until recently Des had an amazing track record at developing cast offs from other clubs, nearly every player to a man had developed under his coaching.  That should have been a selling point for the club when trying to attract young players especially.  Playing for a club and coach that will make you a better player.  Our cheap buys the last few seasons haven't worked out as well.
On Des though, I'm fairly certain he has stated on a number of occasions he does not see himself as a career coach.  I'm equally as certain that Toovs will be our next coach.  Anyone hazzard to guess if Des has a timeframe of when he will hand over to Toovs?

Shane rodney worked out pretty well,  he didnt make many spectacular plays as such, but week in week out he was doing the hard stuff, one of our best forwards!

As people have said, the salary cap contributes to success, gone are the days of dominating year after year, you might make 2 or so grand finals, then have to make little touches to the playing roster and make a run again.

The coach of manly needs to bleed maroon and white, thats just the way we are, bennett is a fine coach, but he isnt the coach for manly!

paul link said:
[quote author=Masked Eagle link=topic=185696.msg301505#msg301505 date=1286453059]

Shane rodney worked out pretty well,  he didnt make many spectacular plays as such, but week in week out he was doing the hard stuff, one of our best forwards!

As people have said, the salary cap contributes to success, gone are the days of dominating year after year, you might make 2 or so grand finals, then have to make little touches to the playing roster and make a run again.

The coach of manly needs to bleed maroon and white, thats just the way we are, bennett is a fine coach, but he isnt the coach for manly!
[/quote]

I would be excluding Rodney from a list of failures.  He's been really good.  More the likes of Cross, Gaulavo, Seu Seu.  Some might argue they haven't had the chances but initially Des did seem to have the midas touch in turning cast offs into gold but that strike rate has suffered a bit recently.

Regarding the O/P no Des is not as good as Bennett.

That simple.

One day maybe but on measure on anything no

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4