Is City Country dead?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I hope it's dead. They can bury it along with State of Origin. International matches mid season give me the ****s too. I could'nt care less who wins. The premiership's what I want to watch, anything else is an annoying interruption.
Mind you this is only my opinion, others may love these matches and I am a notorious curmudgeon.:mad:

If City- Country was say......." Up and coming SOO players, fringe not quite there for a year or two" V genuine country boys picked from sides such as Dubbo / Tamworth etc then it would be interesting, BUT this has NOTHING to do with anything other than giving TV another game to play this weekend.

Means nothing, won't make an iota of difference as to who plays SOO or not and is just another game that players can get injured in.

I am a proud country NSW born supporter, when it was the " real " country boys it meant something, many players caught the eye of selectors in those game and went on to stardom, for example ( both from Moree) , Ewan McGrady and Phillip Duke ( plucked from Moree to play SOO......but not exactly with great honour!!!)

Anyway that's my view even if Lismore doesn't agree with me!!

City V Country as a concept is great IMO.

What needs to be changed for it to work.

1. Be used as a true selection trial for NSW side.
2. Players to be picked purely on current season form, regardless of name or reputaion.

Only when this is done will we beat Queersland, for far too long NSW team has been picked on reputation regardless of current form.

It should be put to rest. If the players selected are fringe players for a SOO jersey, and lets face it, every player in both sides has 1 or 2 players in front of him already, why risk injury to them in a game that will do little to further their chances of SOO selection anyway?

To be a fringe player means you are already in the minds of selectors. What will this game do to make selectors decide to give them a run in SOO? To be considered a fringe player, you must have been playing well enough in the general comp week in week out. City vs Country is hardly a high pressure, intense game experience to rival SOO. For me, a player who can turn up at a Friday night game in Brisbane in front of 40 000 screaming, sledging, dribbling Broncos fans, and put on a ripper of a performance, even if his side loses, is the bloke I'd be considering in my Blues side.

Since it is here though and my 2 cents means absolutely nothing....GO COUNTRY!!!

Ralphie said:
MWSE said:
Why does this question come up every year? Can't believe people are complaining about getting to watch another game of footy. I like the game even if it is meaningless. Another game in the country is another win for rugby league in NSW.

Will you still like it if Tafua and Symonds incur season ending injuries.

I just don't buy the old, well it would have happened anyway. Most rep games have a higher intensity and it is a simple fact that the more you play the more likely you are to be injured.

I hate the concept, but I also hate the so called "State of Origin" concept. Not sure why it's called that with so many ring ins in both sides, but anyway.

Mate people get injured at training. Train like you play anyone? They get injured jumping on trampolines. They get injured walking their dogs. It does happen anyway.

Seeing NRL players signing autographs and doing clinics for kids in rural areas promotes the game better than any ad or tv show. This is why its worth it. Giving back to areas that are otherwise neglected by professional sports.

LU has tweeted it's a poor crowd for the game.

Been thinking since League seems to be struggling in western Sydney due to the Wanderers and Giants (mainly the Wanderers) what about this -
City wins the game goes to one of the City grounds - Parra, Penrith, Leichardt or whomever.
Country it goes to a Country ground

It's a great promotion for Rugby league in the NSW country and the f***ing Qlders should be made to do the same. Why do they get away with not doing anything like this to promote Rugby league through country Qld.

mickqld said:
It's a great promotion for Rugby league in the NSW country and the f***ing Qlders should be made to do the same. Why do they get away with not doing anything like this to promote Rugby league through country Qld.

Good point Mick

eagles2win said:
mickqld said:

Good point Mick

It might be because qld's selection base is soooo large they wouldn't know what part of country qld to play it in. Kempsey, Sydney, Papua New Guinea, UnZud.......

mickqld said:

Queenslanders travel far and wide to see a game of footy. The Qld cup draws crowds from all over the state. The Caparas from Rocky even took a game last weekend to Clermont FFS. Not to mention the travel that the Cowboys, Titans and Broncos fans do. The difference seems to be that Qlders will quite happily travel to see some good footy. They don't wait for the footy to come to them. You think that's a f***wit response? I think you make a f***wit point.

Tim Gilbert is doing his best to make it as boring as possible. Not sure I have ever heard a worse commentator.

Tim Gilbert is dead set terrible.
Every time country score they should shout COUNT- TRY! But then again trex would think they are shouting at him!

It seems our boys got throught the games OK this weekend, hoping Inglis will be on one leg on Friday night though

Taufua had a good game, made probably the most meters out of all the backs on field.

Could be a smokey if he keeps up the form

I've seen better games come out of the Qld Cup. And Kiwi, Mason let in City's first try. Lazy slug IMO.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6