Is City Country dead?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't mind it. I think its good for the younger guys to get some rep experience.

I also think that it is great for the country born players and fans.

If clubs took it more serious maybe supporters would.
Josh Reynolds was cleared by medical staff to play for City.
Canterbury then had there medical staff deem him not able to play.
Someone's lying.
This is where the ARLC should step in perform a third medical and if it turns out that he's good to play do this - fine the club $20k and stand the player down for two club games.

Tough, yes and if it happened to Manly I'd fully support the decision.

eagles2win said:
If clubs took it more serious maybe supporters would.
Josh Reynolds was cleared by medical staff to play for City.
Canterbury then had there medical staff deem him not able to play.
Someone's lying.
This is where the ARLC should step in perform a third medical and if it turns out that he's good to play do this - fine the club $20k and stand the player down for two club games.

Tough, yes and if it happened to Manly I'd fully support the decision.
A player can purposely fail the third ARLC medical test if they wanted to

Why does this question come up every year? Can't believe people are complaining about getting to watch another game of footy. I like the game even if it is meaningless. Another game in the country is another win for rugby league in NSW.

Can it ,no relevance any more.

Have a designated weekend where all clubs are required to promote and play their match in the country.What a weekend for country people watching 8 NRL games in various centres and regional NZ on the same weekend.That way leaugue is exposed wonderfully in all the states at the same time and we dont have the situation of nothing happening outside Coffs this weekend which just gives soccer a free kick with their GF on.
Any shortfall in usual revenue achieved by the home side should be covered by the NRL as part of the cost of developing league in the country centres.The main aim of the game this Sunday is to have our stars doing promotions for kids and families in Coffs this weekend and this would do that 8 fold.

Most country people follow an NRL side and the matches would have the usual intensity of an NRL fixture.

MWSE said:
Why does this question come up every year? Can't believe people are complaining about getting to watch another game of footy. I like the game even if it is meaningless. Another game in the country is another win for rugby league in NSW.

Will you still like it if Tafua and Symonds incur season ending injuries.

I just don't buy the old, well it would have happened anyway. Most rep games have a higher intensity and it is a simple fact that the more you play the more likely you are to be injured.

I hate the concept, but I also hate the so called "State of Origin" concept. Not sure why it's called that with so many ring ins in both sides, but anyway.

I dont think it has had much relevance for about 20 years, it isn't a game many look forward to when the season draw is announced. Granted it does help promote league in the country, but I do like the sound of Susan's suggestion

globaleagle said:
When I was 'younger' I used to enjoy the match. Hoping the country boys would win over the city yobbos.

But now....I don't think it's a true soo selection game and just increases the risk of injury.

I wish they would get rid of it or change the format somehow.

Qld don't have a city v country game and they seem to do ok in origin!

Even though KE says a player could get injured in training (very true).....well one could be hit by a car, doesn't mean one needs to play in traffic.

edit: 3000th post! woot!!

Come on now.....a fair few of those posts were by hat! Are you stealing his thunder? :)

Regardless of the games merits, it's great to see that Simon Dwyer is the City teams Assistant Coach. Great stuff. I notice in the Big League team pic he still has his arm in a sling. It's been such a long time for him. Let's hope he fully recovers albeit very slowly it seems. I reckon he'd be a regular part of the NSW side by now if it weren't for the injury. He had a huge future in the game IMO.

I'd like to see an under 20's or under 23's potential origin players type of game....both states have recognised emerging SOO players, why not preview the best juniors.
It seems clear that many senior rep players aren't enthusiastic about city/country...I doubt we'd get many withdrawals from the younger blokes looking for their first rep opportunity.

Andrew.. said:
I'd like to see an under 20's or under 23's potential origin players type of game....both states have recognised emerging SOO players, why not preview the best juniors.
It seems clear that many senior rep players aren't enthusiastic about city/country...I doubt we'd get many withdrawals from the younger blokes looking for their first rep opportunity.

They played that game last year, and it is being played again on Saturday night

It's just like Daylight Saving!
Some like it, others don't.

Get over it - it's there!

Most Country people enjoy it (except for ex-Moree fans currently residing in Brisbane) and most City people don't.

Personally, I like it. It gives fringe representatives a taste of stardom!

When I was a lad & old Shep was a pup,
the Country side was made up of players from country teams.
Of course, a current Country team V NRL (City) wouldn't work today with the standard being so lop sided, it would be laughable.
A big part of the game then was to see what players were out bush, seeing whats out there, but in the modern era, club Talent scouts have this job covered.
So now the game has strayed from its original concept of finding country talent, to just a team of NRL players who have come from country areas. SOME, might now regard this game as pointless.

Concept is struggling. If they wanted to give it legs, then mirror it in Qld, with winners playing each other.

Or make it a six team Origin comp:

NSW City (Syd)
NSW Country
Qld City (Bris)
Qld Country
NZ
Pacific Islands (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc)

And make it truly of Origin, rather than of Choice as it currently seems to be.

Better still, add two more teams (eg England, Combined Motleys, Aborig All stars, Maori all stars, etc?) gives a solid eight team comp. Top teams of each group of four contest the finals. Likely to produce some real competitive games. Super comps have succeeded and grown in union, although arguably at some cost to the lower comps.

The key hurdle would be scheduling to not interfere with the NRL/Super League comps.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6