Is Ballin the man?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
A thought that keeps recurring in my simple mind is,

Would Matt Ballin be worthwhile grooming as our strength and conditioning coach?

He is an experienced personal trainer and has worked under Singe and others for over a decade as a player, and was one of the fittest and most durable footballers to play the game.

I am sure his current qualifications and experience wouldn't require too much addition to make him a leading candidate.

And he may be a QLDer, but he is MANLY!

Big difference between doing PT work for some overweight schlub and NRL conditioning.

Agreed, but doesn't mean he wouldn't be better at the latter.

It does mean he has some formal qualifications in physical training and exercise, and as I said over a decade of doing it under some good ones, he will have picked up a fair bit as he was "in the business himself".

I also think with his track record as a player and trainer he would have the respect of the players.

Loobs is fattist.:D
And if Ballin's been training Zorba it hasn't worked.
Haha I am - guilty!

Anyway I'm not saying he couldn't do it but you always want the best person for a particular job. Sentimentality shouldn't be a factor.

Haha I am - guilty!

Anyway I'm not saying he couldn't do it but you always want the best person for a particular job. Sentimentality shouldn't be a factor.

Yeah, we need the best and that's why I said groomed and candidate.

I just keep thinking about it.

If I owned the club I would be investing heavily in sports science, especially injury prevention. Disruption to a team during games, and week to week when there are constant changes, has to be one of the biggest factors in preventing success.

Too true, it is becoming like the battle between the dopers and the detectors. As soon as a detection method is found ... a new drug comes up to beat it.

The same is occurring in athletes , the better the training, diet, conditioning is in preventing injury.... the further they push their body's limits ... back into injury zone.

League is a tough and violent sport so there will always be injuries. But aside from warm-ups and training strategies, I suspect there is something to tackling techniques and also running techniques that might lower the chance of certain injuries.

I always marvel at how the likes of Smith and Cronk can go year after year and rarely miss a match. I doubt it is coincidence. Slater was similar, up until the last couple of years, and he has a particularly slight build. He used to be a jockey or something! I suspect Storm are ahead of the field in this area.

League is a tough and violent sport so there will always be injuries. But aside from warm-ups and training strategies, I suspect there is something to tackling techniques and also running techniques that might lower the chance of certain injuries.

I always marvel at how the likes of Smith and Cronk can go year after year and rarely miss a match. I doubt it is coincidence. Slater was similar, up until the last couple of years, and he has a particularly slight build. He used to be a jockey or something! I suspect Storm are ahead of the field in this area.

Well ahead of us that's for sure!!

Apart from probably keeping the aging superstars a year longer than we should have, our biggest issue in 2015/16 has been injuries , and in each of those years ( I think we shared with the Panthers last year) we were the worst affected club.

AND, people want to blame the coaches ( 2V or Twenty).........Grrrrrrrrr!!!

I think our boys need to get off the booze throughout the season and that will solve plenty of our issues!

Woodsie as usual you think beyond the borders. Yes you have a great idea there. Ballin has been a fitness coach for ages and having had a career as a rugby league player, he knows more than most trainers what is needed, where the dangers are, what works in maintaining stamina and avoiding injury on the football field.

An excellent idea and one I would suggest you send to the football club. I'm pretty sure Ballin would jump at the opportunity.

This has been suggested several times throughout the season, and the answer is still the same. YES. It's a bloody good idea.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6