1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Ballin the man?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Woodsie, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,783 / 100
    A thought that keeps recurring in my simple mind is,

Would Matt Ballin be worthwhile grooming as our strength and conditioning coach?

He is an experienced personal trainer and has worked under Singe and others for over a decade as a player, and was one of the fittest and most durable footballers to play the game.

I am sure his current qualifications and experience wouldn't require too much addition to make him a leading candidate.

And he may be a QLDer, but he is MANLY!

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,412 / 257
    Big difference between doing PT work for some overweight schlub and NRL conditioning.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Woodsie

Ratings:
    +4,783 / 100
    Agreed, but doesn't mean he wouldn't be better at the latter.

It does mean he has some formal qualifications in physical training and exercise, and as I said over a decade of doing it under some good ones, he will have picked up a fair bit as he was "in the business himself".

I also think with his track record as a player and trainer he would have the respect of the players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    I'd love to see Matt back at our club in some capacity when he finishes playing.

Disgraceful the way he was shafted by the club. He loves the place.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    We bring him back to mentor our hookers, api and Parcell.

6. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,521 / 50
    Loobs is fattist.:D
    And if Ballin's been training Zorba it hasn't worked.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,412 / 257
    Haha I am - guilty!

Anyway I'm not saying he couldn't do it but you always want the best person for a particular job. Sentimentality shouldn't be a factor.

8. Woodsie

Ratings:
    +4,783 / 100
    Yeah, we need the best and that's why I said groomed and candidate.

I just keep thinking about it.

9. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,801 / 122
    If I owned the club I would be investing heavily in sports science, especially injury prevention. Disruption to a team during games, and week to week when there are constant changes, has to be one of the biggest factors in preventing success.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Woodsie

Ratings:
    +4,783 / 100
    Too true, it is becoming like the battle between the dopers and the detectors. As soon as a detection method is found ... a new drug comes up to beat it.

The same is occurring in athletes , the better the training, diet, conditioning is in preventing injury.... the further they push their body's limits ... back into injury zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,801 / 122
    League is a tough and violent sport so there will always be injuries. But aside from warm-ups and training strategies, I suspect there is something to tackling techniques and also running techniques that might lower the chance of certain injuries.

I always marvel at how the likes of Smith and Cronk can go year after year and rarely miss a match. I doubt it is coincidence. Slater was similar, up until the last couple of years, and he has a particularly slight build. He used to be a jockey or something! I suspect Storm are ahead of the field in this area.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,750 / 258
    Well ahead of us that's for sure!!

Apart from probably keeping the aging superstars a year longer than we should have, our biggest issue in 2015/16 has been injuries , and in each of those years ( I think we shared with the Panthers last year) we were the worst affected club.

AND, people want to blame the coaches ( 2V or Twenty).........Grrrrrrrrr!!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,427 / 43
    HEY! ... I resemble that remark!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Matty should have finished his degree by now, so would pass that requirement easily.

He also has many other qualities to pass on to the players.

I vote 'Yes' @Woodsie :nod:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. PDiddy

PDiddy New Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 2
    I think our boys need to get off the booze throughout the season and that will solve plenty of our issues!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,427 / 43
    and the chicken schnitzels

17. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    Would love to see Matty Ballin back in some capacity.

We need to make reasons to get people like Ballin, Jamie etc back involved with the club.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bearfax

Bearfax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,660 / 75
    Woodsie as usual you think beyond the borders. Yes you have a great idea there. Ballin has been a fitness coach for ages and having had a career as a rugby league player, he knows more than most trainers what is needed, where the dangers are, what works in maintaining stamina and avoiding injury on the football field.

An excellent idea and one I would suggest you send to the football club. I'm pretty sure Ballin would jump at the opportunity.

19. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,841 / 103
    This has been suggested several times throughout the season, and the answer is still the same. YES. It's a bloody good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    And with those extra brown envelopes can afford the best performance enhancing substances training and recovery techniques money can buy. :lipssealed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1