IS ANOTHER SPOON ON THE HORIZON?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
It's the latest drama in the NRL that has yet again swamped headlines everywhere. On the television, in the newspaper, radio, and especially on social media - every day you hear about the Parramatta Eels' salary cap drama.

Being born into a family of fanatical Manly supporters, since a young age I was always taught to extremely dislike 'Parra', especially by my Dad who still brings up the rivalry we had back in the 80's.

However this rivalry seems to be sparking up again, so seeing this negative press surrounding the Eels in the media brings me happiness

giphy.gif

But every day is something different - some days it's reported they will be playing for no points and other days it is said that they will lose as little as eight and it is confusing everyone.

In my opinion, Parramatta need to be playing for no points this season. My view is partially fuelled by my hatred for them, but it is the most sufficient punishment. The Bulldogs in 2002 lost 37 points and the Storm in 2010 played for no points after rorting the salary cap, so why should the punishment be any lighter for Parramatta?

The Eels have been over the salary cap across grades for five years now, and whilst they have been utterly hopeless for the majority of those five years, they still need to be punished as others have. With multiple fines and warnings about these breaches, losing a substantial amount of points is one of the only ways they can learn their lesson.

(Especially because the only thing they won over the five years was back to back wooden spoons in 2012 & 2013)

giphy.gif

As much as I love reading each day about how much trouble the Parramatta Eels are in, the NRL really need to step up and penalise them before they gain any more points.

The big Cap issue here that many people do not mention and something I heard articulated well on Talkin Sport.... was that most likely Chocs salary will not be counted if the insurance comes through. ( I dont agree with this) HOWEVER if that is the case then Chocs money will not be included in the cap and as mentioned above will alleviate huge Cap pressure for the eels. HOWEVER there is a little problem Parramatta have and that is with the court case surrounding Will Hopoate's Contract bungle........ The money Parra may save in the cap with Chocs retirement will be offset from any payout given to Will. A Figure of $600,000 was mentioned and this is around the figure good old Chocs salary is... Interesting times ahead for the scum Eels and the Almighty Foz. Cant Wait till Foz wins the SPOON.

WELCOME TO PARRA FOZ!!!!!

giphy.gif

The big Cap issue here that many people do not mention and something I heard articulated well on Talkin Sport.... was that most likely Chocs salary will not be counted if the insurance comes through. ( I dont agree with this) HOWEVER if that is the case then Chocs money will not be included in the cap and as mentioned above will alleviate huge Cap pressure for the eels. HOWEVER there is a little problem Parramatta have and that is with the court case surrounding Will Hopoate's Contract bungle........ The money Parra may save in the cap with Chocs retirement will be offset from any payout given to Will. A Figure of $600,000 was mentioned and this is around the figure good old Chocs salary is... Interesting times ahead for the scum Eels and the Almighty Foz. Cant Wait till Foz wins the SPOON.

WELCOME TO PARRA FOZ!!!!!

giphy.gif
Hasn't it been reported they aren't going to count Hoppa's salary as well?

Choc is in a damned powerful negotiating position. The Eels have pokies money to burn, the directors desperately need him to retire, and the NRL are saying it's all cap free.

I'm struggling to understand the NRL stance when players sign for another club mid-contract. eg When T-Rex went to the Dogs, we were forced to bear a hefty part of his salary in our cap. Yet when Hoppa goes to the Dogs, the story is Parra don't need to include any court proven payout in their cap?

Choc is in a damned powerful negotiating position. The Eels have pokies money to burn, the directors desperately need him to retire, and the NRL are saying it's all cap free.

I'm struggling to understand the NRL stance when players sign for another club mid-contract. eg When T-Rex went to the Dogs, we were forced to bear a hefty part of his salary in our cap. Yet when Hoppa goes to the Dogs, the story is Parra don't need to include any court proven payout in their cap?
I don't get it as well. It is like the NRL are making up new rules as they go along to help the Eels. Imagine if it was us in this predicament.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
But haven't they got to pay wantmore his contract out in full ? Which cant keep them under the cap can it .

Watmaugh's contract will only be paid out in full if the insurance company deems that his injury was the result of a catastrophic incident rather than a chronic one.
Thats why they're saying it happened when he was hit by Beau Scott at training and NOT the result of years of wear and tear, of which there is documented evidence.
I doubt that the insurance company will part with $2 million so readily unless the insurance company is ownedby Parra LeaguesClub. Every league fan knows that this was a sham deal, with this signing hoping to lure bigger fish to the club, Watmaugh not finishing his contract was of no consequence.

But haven't they got to pay wantmore his contract out in full ? Which cant keep them under the cap can it .
It seems yes but the money can come from insurance instead and so not included in the cap. The insurer will obviously ask questions. I'd ask why sign a player so broken so late in his career for 4 years.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8