1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS ANOTHER SPOON ON THE HORIZON?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lsz, Apr 20, 2016.

By lsz on Apr 20, 2016 at 8:44 PM
  1. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,648 / 66
    It's the latest drama in the NRL that has yet again swamped headlines everywhere. On the television, in the newspaper, radio, and especially on social media - every day you hear about the Parramatta Eels' salary cap drama.

Being born into a family of fanatical Manly supporters, since a young age I was always taught to extremely dislike 'Parra', especially by my Dad who still brings up the rivalry we had back in the 80's.

However this rivalry seems to be sparking up again, so seeing this negative press surrounding the Eels in the media brings me happiness

[​IMG]

But every day is something different - some days it's reported they will be playing for no points and other days it is said that they will lose as little as eight and it is confusing everyone.

In my opinion, Parramatta need to be playing for no points this season. My view is partially fuelled by my hatred for them, but it is the most sufficient punishment. The Bulldogs in 2002 lost 37 points and the Storm in 2010 played for no points after rorting the salary cap, so why should the punishment be any lighter for Parramatta?

The Eels have been over the salary cap across grades for five years now, and whilst they have been utterly hopeless for the majority of those five years, they still need to be punished as others have. With multiple fines and warnings about these breaches, losing a substantial amount of points is one of the only ways they can learn their lesson.

(Especially because the only thing they won over the five years was back to back wooden spoons in 2012 & 2013)

[​IMG]

As much as I love reading each day about how much trouble the Parramatta Eels are in, the NRL really need to step up and penalise them before they gain any more points.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Clever Clever x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lsz, Apr 20, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. lsz

Ratings:
      +3,648 / 66
      Make sure to show @ellakasmar some love for another great article (as an aside I am not sure there are any forums that get articles like we do from @ellakasmar and @KeithSheldon )

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. COMMANDER

COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT TRY YOU CAN NOT FAIL 2016 Tipping Competitor

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
      Ratings:
      +1,740 / 81
      Don't know what this 8 point deduction talk is about. They should play for no points and be forced to shed players immediately.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Nordburg

Nordburg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +868 / 47
      I think they are under the cap now if they can get Mr Botox to retire

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Mac Man

Mac Man Active Member

Ratings:
      +142 / 4
      The big Cap issue here that many people do not mention and something I heard articulated well on Talkin Sport.... was that most likely Chocs salary will not be counted if the insurance comes through. ( I dont agree with this) HOWEVER if that is the case then Chocs money will not be included in the cap and as mentioned above will alleviate huge Cap pressure for the eels. HOWEVER there is a little problem Parramatta have and that is with the court case surrounding Will Hopoate's Contract bungle........ The money Parra may save in the cap with Chocs retirement will be offset from any payout given to Will. A Figure of $600,000 was mentioned and this is around the figure good old Chocs salary is... Interesting times ahead for the scum Eels and the Almighty Foz. Cant Wait till Foz wins the SPOON.

WELCOME TO PARRA FOZ!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +1,561 / 59
      But haven't they got to pay wantmore his contract out in full ? Which cant keep them under the cap can it .

6. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +664 / 9
      Hasn't it been reported they aren't going to count Hoppa's salary as well?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
      Ratings:
      +1,264 / 40
      Great work @ellakasmar..........!! Fantastic article.....! :clap:

8. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +664 / 9
      Where is Ella's article?

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +2,338 / 60
      Choc is in a damned powerful negotiating position. The Eels have pokies money to burn, the directors desperately need him to retire, and the NRL are saying it's all cap free.

I'm struggling to understand the NRL stance when players sign for another club mid-contract. eg When T-Rex went to the Dogs, we were forced to bear a hefty part of his salary in our cap. Yet when Hoppa goes to the Dogs, the story is Parra don't need to include any court proven payout in their cap?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Brooke

Brooke Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +664 / 9
      I don't get it as well. It is like the NRL are making up new rules as they go along to help the Eels. Imagine if it was us in this predicament.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
      Ratings:
      +6,741 / 125
      The NRL have already said that Hopoate's money won't be included either.

Considering they had him signed before the 2011 Grand Final, that is a BS ruling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
      Ratings:
      +742 / 16
      Watmaugh's contract will only be paid out in full if the insurance company deems that his injury was the result of a catastrophic incident rather than a chronic one.
      Thats why they're saying it happened when he was hit by Beau Scott at training and NOT the result of years of wear and tear, of which there is documented evidence.
      I doubt that the insurance company will part with $2 million so readily unless the insurance company is ownedby Parra LeaguesClub. Every league fan knows that this was a sham deal, with this signing hoping to lure bigger fish to the club, Watmaugh not finishing his contract was of no consequence.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
      +6,802 / 122
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
      Ratings:
      +11,498 / 254
      @ellakasmar Parra won 400k for the 2016 Nines - they should lose the title and the money.

Scumos had to give back the 2x100k they got for the stripped GFs.
      The ESL also went after them for the 150k they got for the 2007/2009 World Club Challenge

• Like Like x 2
    15. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
      Ratings:
      +11,498 / 254
      This Thread's first post is Ella's article .

@Isz just turns it into a Silvertail's Article to make it stand out from a normal Thread:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
      +6,414 / 257
      Joining Parra is a catastrophic incident.

17. weev

weev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +684 / 17
      It seems yes but the money can come from insurance instead and so not included in the cap. The insurer will obviously ask questions. I'd ask why sign a player so broken so late in his career for 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Nordburg

Nordburg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
      +868 / 47
      I think there is an allowance that if a player retires a percentage of the pay out is not included in cap.

19. lsz

Ratings:
      +3,648 / 66
      It is the article I posted above. - all her work