Ironman a real pro

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ironman a real pro

12 Sep 08 @ 02:38pm by PETER PETERS
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ironman-a-real-pro/

MICHAEL Robertson doesn’t look like an ironman but his amazing record suggests he is just that.

The Manly winger will play his 77th consecutive game for the Sea Eagles in the qualifying final blockbuster against St George-Illawarra at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

Robertson is one of just six players who has played every minute of every match this season in the NRL premiership.

In fact, since he debuted for Manly in round two against the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium in 2006, the quietly-spoken flyer hasn’t missed a minute of the action.

That’s 6080 minutes or 101 hours of pressure cooker football.

During that time he has scored 33 tries and rarely been anything but effective and professional in the maroon and white No.2 which he has made his own in the past three years.

Robertson arrived at Manly with a minimum of fuss and a reputation as a promising player in the summer at the end of the 2004 season.

Coach Des Hasler took one look at the lightly-framed ex-Raider and ordered a tough off season of weights and sprint training.

The transformation has been amazing and Robertson couldn’t be happier.

“I needed a change when I arrived at Manly and it is the best move I could have made,” he said.

“I have enjoyed every season and it has been exciting to be part of the club’s return to the top of the premiership.”

With Robertson on the left wing and the “Wolfman” David Williams on the right, the Sea Eagles have two of the most professional finishers in the premiership.

Robertson will line-up against Josh Morris tonight while Williams has the task of handling giant veteran Wendell Sailor.

Both duels should be enthralling contests.

THE NRL struggles when it comes to looking after its own.

Would you believe that Manly legend Steve Menzies only weeks away from ending a magnificent 16-season career didn’t score an invitation to the Dally M Awards.

What an opportunity missed to use the “Beaver” as a presenter to some of the young players in line for an award.

The NRL prides itself on its history but surely Menzies could represent the modern era rather than the same old recycled faces they trot out every year.

It would have been a fitting finale for the well spoken and highly regarded legend.

The Dally M Awards could certainly do with an overhaul.

The concept is great and the award important but the night goes too long.

And whoever is responsible for NRL chief executive David Gallop’s involvement in the unveiling of the progress points tally year after year should be sacked.

Gallop is a highly respected and professional boss but a microphone isn’t his best friend.

GLENN Stewart’s award for the Dally M second-rower of the year was well deserved.

Stewart is looking better every week in his quest to join brother Brett in the Australian World Cup squad to be finalised after the grand final.

He will start his push for an Australian jumper against the Dragons at Brookie. Glenn and Brett Stewart are something of a recurring nightmare for the St George Illawarra club because both are products of the Illawarra, having played all their junior football with the Western Suburbs Red Devils at Wollongong the same club which Manly legend Bob Fulton played for.

The Dragons wanted Brett but not Glenn which was the catalyst for them joining Manly as a teenage package deal.

The Sea Eagles are thinking about sending an annual thank you card to the Dragons.

The Sea Eagles are thinking about sending an annual thank you card to the Dragons.

[/quote]

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7