Invasion Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
So how is everyone celebrating the theft of land and subsequent genocide of this continent's indigenous population tomorrow?

As much as I respect Mata, I struggle to cope with an African making these sorts of comments.

I am going to be in the city and harbour surrounds to enjoy the atmosphere and celebrate what is best about Australia in 2008 and beyond.

I thought I would drape myself in the Aussie flag, don a boxing kangaroo hat, drink around 32 cans of beer, SMS my all my redneck patriotic inebriated mates, grab a cricket bat and then go on the hunt for immigrants who don't like this country..... :) :) :p

CW struggles with an African making such comments because Australia has vilified Africa's own choices with regard to their native population whilst committing far worse themselves.

Actually tomorrow marks 20 years of citizenship for me. 

Matabele link said:
CW struggles with an African making such comments because Australia has vilified Africa's own choices with regard to their native population whilst committing far worse themselves.

Sure matas, but 1788 is over 200 years ago. The actions of people back then, whilst not excused is different from the actions of certain parts of Africa in the past decade, or even 5 years. We have a whole new cultural belief system now, where by acceptable standards 200 years ago are considered far from acceptable now.

Sure you can hold a mirror up to the actions of Australia's forefathers to that fo Africa, the difference is a few centuries and a cease to those activities on our part. Now scuttle off. If you do not like the past quit living there

Matabele link said:

No - my attitude is that simplistic comments do not solve complex problems. I don't profess to know much about the African issues but have good friends who have lived there, in places like the Congo, Kenya and Tanzania as well as South Africa. I don't think the whites have too much to be proud of there either but the decisions of colonial whites over two hundred years ago were in character with the prevailing views of the time. They are now exposed as poor but one cannot reverse history, just try and make a bit of a difference for the future.

Like it or not 26th Jan is our national day and emotive terms are not going to change anything, just do a Howard (drive a wedge between groups)!

200 years ago???????  There were massacres in the 1930s boys.  You don't know your own history.

And what do you say about the literacy and life expectancy of the indigenous people even today?

There were atrocities in the 50s, 70s and I dare say today also but they don't relate to 'invasion day', they relate to the bit about my post (which you ignore) about trying to do something today.

I am hoping that the current government does seek an apology and then works (gradually) to try to improve the case for all Australians. However the issues are complex and it will take a long and determined effort to see progress.

So you like to pilary Africans for their history, but it can't be done to you?  Of course as a WASP you wouldn't like the term Invasion Day, you're of the perpetrator line.  Ask the average aborigine if it's a fair term!

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=176837.msg177097#msg177097 date=1201218598]

They are now exposed as poor but one cannot reverse history, just try and make a bit of a difference for the future.

[/quote]

The only logical response and action to your comment is that you should give the land back as you forced us to do. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=176837.msg177099#msg177099 date=1201220822]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=176837.msg177097#msg177097 date=1201218598]

They are now exposed as poor but one cannot reverse history, just try and make a bit of a difference for the future.

[/quote]

The only logical response and action to your comment is that you should give the land back as you forced us to do. 
[/quote]

Logical? Well sure if you ignore the facts and reality around it

Number 1 - I don't pillory the African history - I just said that there is plenty of which the whites should not be proud. 

Number 2 - As one who is opposed to what is happening in Zimbabwe, it is ludicrous for you to suggest that the land should be given back to the Aboriginal People!!!

Number 3 - I am not sure how I forced you to give any piece of land to anyone. It is like saying I invaded Iraq or allowed Indonesia to take over East Timor.

Andy why the 'you'? Aren't you one of us - an Aussie?

Did Australia sanction Rhodesia and then send "peacekeepers" who conducted a rigged election?  Did the Australian PM of the time describe the eventual winner as a "good personal friend"?

Are you saying the only reason Australia should not be given back to the original owners is because they will make a Zimbabwe out of it?  Are you a white supremacist?

I am not an "Aussie".  I find the term embarrassing and distasteful.  I am an exile. 

Dan, facts and reality are the domain of the victor.  But that does not serve the principles of truth or justice. 

Matabele link said:
Was your uncle one of the boong shooters MB?

Nope.

Any member(s) of your family involved in the oppression of indigenous communities?

Please, however, feel free to enjoy many of the benefits that are provided and gain special exempt status from your 'adopted' nation and at the same time carry on vilifying its people and complaining. Seems only reasonable to me.

There are no countries that have a sqeaky clean closet no matter what the colour of their skin.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6