Interesting news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Apparently Waqar younis is the front to replace McDermott as Aussie bowling coach imagine if he can get our blokes reversing it.

Also worth nothing Phil Hughes is killing it in county cricket.

Haven't been a fan but if he could bea wild card next year in England if he gets the chance.

Would love to have Waqar coaching our boys - a great bowler

Hughes has heaps of potential IMO - if he can just get some of the sloppy play out of his game

Would agree with both those comments.

If Waqar can harness hilfy's bowling then he will kill it over there.

Hughes like most of the top cricketers suffered second year syndrome, some come back (waugh, ponting clarke) some dont

Waqar was quality. Imagine if he can pass on some of that to our young brigade of pattison cummins and starc. Future would be bright. He might even be able to get mitch's mojo back.

Many an Aussie has carved up county cricket, not exactly a yard stick for test supremacy. I imagine they will stick with Warner and Cowan until one of them hit a slump.

Volley said:
Cowan's waiting to get speared once someone performs. He's not much chop.

I'd rather Cowan than any others right now,we need
a good defensive batsman for when wickets are tumblin

I think the selectors dropped ponting too soon for one day games.
Forrest and Bailey aren't cutting the mustard.

I really hope David hussey gets a chance in the tests. If we go down in the ashes it's going to be due to lack of batting depth

Ali de Winter got the gig. That's right. Who ??? I must admit that Hilfy has been in some good form last summer, so if this guy is responsible for that then maybe he does know a thing or two.

Cricket Australia's new head bowling coach Ali de Winter is confident of assembling an Ashes-winning squad of bowlers to take on England in 2013.

The appointment of the 44-year-old former Tasmanian assistant was announced on Friday following a long apprenticeship.

A veteran of 21 first-class games with Tasmania, de Winter left the game with a modest record of 35 wickets at 50.51.

But he comes to his new role highly regarded, having almost pipped former Test quick Craig McDermott for the job last year.

McDermott's decision to step down in May 2012 re-opened the door for de Winter, who was interim bowling coach on Australia's recent one-day tour of England which ended with a 4-0 defeat.

"It's something I really feel I can make a difference in now," De Winter told AAP.

De Winter helped rejuvenate Tasmanian swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus' Test career in the past 12 months and says he is just one of several quicks who can make a big impact on next year's Ashes tour.

"He knows his game inside out now. We just need to make sure we can keep him and Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle on the park as our leading Test-match bowlers and, if we get them to the Ashes fit, we'll be a handful," de Winter said.

"Australia might pick six or seven quick bowlers for the Ashes tour (including Pat Cummins and James Pattinson) and they'll all be good if they're fit and ready to go."

De Winter said he had learnt a tremendous amount from former Australia bowling coach and fellow Tasmanian Troy Cooley.

"We're very, very close and I've also done some work with 'Billy' (McDermott)," de Winter said.

"I'll certainly be going down the same path (as McDermott) in terms of the length we bowl and the line we bowl - in Test cricket in particular."

Asked about last year's failure to get the top job, de Winter was blunt.

"They felt like they needed to go in a different direction style-wise. That may have come down to the fact that I hadn't played international cricket.

"But that really doesn't bother me now. I've got great faith in what I've learnt as a coach over the last 20 years or so."

De Winter points to New Zealand's appointment of head coach Mike Hesson, a 37-year-old whose playing career went no higher than Otago Second XI.

Australia's head coach Mickey Arthur didn't win selection at international level as a player in his native South Africa.

"The barrier's certainly breaking down."

There's a training camp in Darwin next week ahead of the limited-over series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates in August-September.

Ali de Winter got the gig. That's right. Who ??? I must admit that Hilfy has been in some good form last summer, so if this guy is responsible for that then maybe he does know a thing or two.

Cricket Australia's new head bowling coach Ali de Winter is confident of assembling an Ashes-winning squad of bowlers to take on England in 2013.

The appointment of the 44-year-old former Tasmanian assistant was announced on Friday following a long apprenticeship.

A veteran of 21 first-class games with Tasmania, de Winter left the game with a modest record of 35 wickets at 50.51.

But he comes to his new role highly regarded, having almost pipped former Test quick Craig McDermott for the job last year.

McDermott's decision to step down in May 2012 re-opened the door for de Winter, who was interim bowling coach on Australia's recent one-day tour of England which ended with a 4-0 defeat.

"It's something I really feel I can make a difference in now," De Winter told AAP.

De Winter helped rejuvenate Tasmanian swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus' Test career in the past 12 months and says he is just one of several quicks who can make a big impact on next year's Ashes tour.

"He knows his game inside out now. We just need to make sure we can keep him and Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle on the park as our leading Test-match bowlers and, if we get them to the Ashes fit, we'll be a handful," de Winter said.

"Australia might pick six or seven quick bowlers for the Ashes tour (including Pat Cummins and James Pattinson) and they'll all be good if they're fit and ready to go."

De Winter said he had learnt a tremendous amount from former Australia bowling coach and fellow Tasmanian Troy Cooley.

"We're very, very close and I've also done some work with 'Billy' (McDermott)," de Winter said.

"I'll certainly be going down the same path (as McDermott) in terms of the length we bowl and the line we bowl - in Test cricket in particular."

Asked about last year's failure to get the top job, de Winter was blunt.

"They felt like they needed to go in a different direction style-wise. That may have come down to the fact that I hadn't played international cricket.

"But that really doesn't bother me now. I've got great faith in what I've learnt as a coach over the last 20 years or so."

De Winter points to New Zealand's appointment of head coach Mike Hesson, a 37-year-old whose playing career went no higher than Otago Second XI.

Australia's head coach Mickey Arthur didn't win selection at international level as a player in his native South Africa.

"The barrier's certainly breaking down."

There's a training camp in Darwin next week ahead of the limited-over series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates in August-September.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6