Interesting about lockies injury

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
'The pain he went through last night, he won't feel anything like that again'

Brett Kimmorley has been there - and he reckons Lockyer will be right for Friday, writes Brad Walter.

Having had similar surgery to Darren Lockyer, former Test halfback Brett Kimmorley believes the Broncos great may be able to play in Friday night's grand final qualifier against Manly at the SFS.

Kimmorley suffered a fractured cheekbone in the second-last round of the 2009 competition and, like Lockyer, had three plates inserted in his face.

While he did not play for three weeks, Kimmorley had received a clearance to return a week after his operation but the Bulldogs decided not to risk him as they were guaranteed a top two finish and a second chance in the first weekend of finals matches.

''I couldn't tell you whether I could have played straight away. But obviously, [after] the pain he went through last night, I don't think he will feel anything like that again. It is probably highly unlikely he would break it again because of how strong it is, so if physically he is all right, I think there is a chance he will play,'' Kimmorley said.

''I didn't get operated on until the Monday afternoon, so I had waited nearly 24 hours and apart from coming out of surgery and feeling a little bit sore for about a day, the relief you get when they fix it is unbelievable.

''By tomorrow afternoon, I would expect he has a bit of a dull pain but certainly nothing like what it was. I took pain killers for the first 24 hours and that was about it.

''I got a few knocks the week I returned against Parramatta and they were certainly not as painful as when it happened.''

The former Newcastle back-rower Marc Glanville also made an early return in a 1995 finals match against Manly after suffering a depressed cheekbone fracture

and the Knights doctor Peter McGeoch said he believed Lockyer had similar surgery.

''The surgeon is obviously confident that with the plates on it is structurally sound, and if that is the case, I imagine they would be playing him if the pain and swelling has gone down,'' McGeoch said. ''Marc didn't have any major problems.''

The former Knights five-eighth Matthew Johns also played a finals match in 1999 after fracturing his cheekbone the previous week, while Canberra fullback Josh Dugan played last season with a cheekbone fracture. However, neither required surgery.

Other well-known cases of players taking the field soon after facial surgery include Richmond AFL star Matthew Richardson in 2003 and England football captain John Terry in 2007.

Lockyer is expected to wear specially-made headgear to protect the injury but it is unlikely to be like the Hannibal Lecter mask that former Rabbitohs winger Andrew Willett wore in the 1994 Sydney rugby union grand final.

Former Roosters hooker Simon Bonetti played in the 2002 grand final after being cleared of a fractured cheekbone but he later suffered a similar injury playing soccer and doubts Lockyer would be able to take the field against Manly.

''It was pretty painful,'' Bonetti said. ''Obviously it is a big occasion, but I think I would have struggled to play. I had to get a plate and screws put in. I was out for about a month after that. I knew something was wrong straight away. I'm not usually one to rush off to hospital but I went off and got X-rays, and got operated on three days later.''

With Glenn Jackson

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-pain-he-went-through-last-night-he-wont-feel-anything-like-that-again-20110918-1kg6t.html#ixzz1YMjELUFW

torana355 said:
Why is this thread still going? Who cares if he plays!!!

Agree!
We need the Big 17 Manly Boys to turn up - the Oposition is mere detail.

We only ever limit ourselves through our own beliefs.
Seeing DCE's smiling face sneeked in to shot tbehind Locky at our Suncorp game, showed me that he is not overawed.

I hope he does play.

It'd be good for Manly to be there for Lockyer's last regular season game, and for his last finals match too.

I have a insider deep within the Bronco's, so this isn't supposition.

He's def playing, and that's the reason why he had the operation first thing the next day.

So all things are...normal!!

I hope when his head caves in that it happens near the sideline on the side of the field where I'm sitting. I would really like to record it on my iPhone. You can win a car sending **** like that in to Funniest Home Videos.

Realistically the operation may get him right to captain the kangaroos. Playing 6 days later is stupid. Having the op ASAP is about setting the bone properly, people don't delay orthopedic surgery because broken unset bones are painful and can cause more damage.

Trust me when I say he'll be playing....he knows that it's potentially his last ever game and regardless he won't miss it. he's been told he can do no more damage so they just have to manage the pain for him...he'll be there NO RISK!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Trust me when I say he'll be playing....he knows that it's potentially his last ever game and regardless he won't miss it. he's been told he can do no more damage so they just have to manage the pain for him...he'll be there NO RISK!!

They should make sure he pisses in a bottle before and after the game.

We are now waiting for some qualified Orthopaedic Surgeon to come out and say how dangerous it is for Lockyer to play and risk further injury. He then plays and not long after, win or loss he is beatified and golden statues are mounted all over the universe. Total farce.

I believe you Mark. I still say it's stupid for him to play 6 days later. Being dosed up on painkillers may make his final nrl game one to forget, like changa's white boots day. Will griffin be brave enough to make the call and not pick him?

Canteen Worker said:
We are now waiting for some qualified Orthopaedic Surgeon to come out and say how dangerous it is for Lockyer to play and risk further injury. He then plays and not long after, win or loss he is beatified and golden statues are mounted all over the universe. Total farce.

Maybe but that's exactly how it will happen...I think they are already thinking of erecting a statue at the Milton Road end of Suncorp, Wally down on the Caxton Street end and the Immortal down the other!!

Love it or hate it, that's Queensland for you

Fact is i thought we could beat them fully fit and i still believe we can. I dont care if he plays or not we are better all round team.

Surely after an operation under general anesthetic there is a risk of blood clots particualarly if he flys to sydney?

tookey said:
Surely after an operation under general anesthetic there is a risk of blood clots particualarly if he flys to sydney?

He aint flying but he is driving 1892km or something stupid like that according to sportal,apparently the distance HAS doubled between sydney and brisbane

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8