Interesting about lockies injury

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have never heard anyone taking the field so shortly after any form of surgery. Doctors would usually ask you to take 2 weeks of work and don't take part in any exercise at all for a couple of weeks.

After the game he can eat liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

HannibalCloseupMask.jpg

Ceagle said:
I have never heard anyone taking the field so shortly after any form of surgery. Doctors would usually ask you to take 2 weeks of work and don't take part in any exercise at all for a couple of weeks.
I can understand why he wants to play. All the emotion of his last year, but is it worth the risk of further damage or worse blindness. Personally I think its very dangerous. If he is heart & soul for the Broncos to win he should step down & let someone who is 100% fit play. This game is charged with so much emotion I hope the MANLY boys can just focus on getting the job done so Lyon can lift the trophy on October 2

Apparently flying may be out of the question too because of swelling, sinuses etc.

If they do put some kind of guard on, I hope it is checked into and approved by the NRL

I don't think after 360 games in the NRL he needs to train all that often. Missing a couple of sessions isn't going to be a big drama.

Look it will obviously inconvenience him, but it is really only pain, which they can block. He will probably wear headgear as well. It's not like it's a groin or shoulder or something that will restrict his physical movement and ability to run/pass/kick. It may well affect his defence a little, but they normally give him a minder anyway. Personally I think he will play, that's just my opinion. It's a risk for him, and if he gets a significant knock on it then he could be in trouble in terms of finishing the game. But if you are Brisbane it's a risk worth taking in my opinion. Like I said the only thing I think that will stop him is if it has, or will, affect his vision. I'm sure they have got expert medical advice and I'm guessing the decision to operate was to improve his chances of playing.

Then again who knows, it may be a lot worse then they are letting on and the surgery was forced on them due to the severity of the injury. I suppose we'll know for sure an hour before kick off on Friday.

codewana said:
Daniel said:
If they do put some kind of guard on, I hope it is checked into and approved by the NRL

Like the NRL won't approve anything for Locky though.

If it is likely to cause an injury they won't be able to or Manly will be able to collect some nice compensation from the NRL, maybe even $50,000

There was a story about a bloke in the papers today who returned two weeks to play rugby after a fractured cheekbone, he is now deaf and blind on the left side of his head.

I agree Cambo re your OH&S comment. Just who employs him? The NRL are concerned with head knocks, and now this? What would happen if an accidental arm hits him across the face? Would some sort of civil action follow? Anyway if he does play then hit him on his left side. I imagine his sight will be impaired due to the swelling and his reaction timing could be off.

It is similar to the concussion debate (and duty of care)

As long as the decision is in the hands of the club you could argue the payers welfare is secondary to the club.

Objectively there is no way he should play on Friday but the Bronco's are not in a position to make the call.

I remember someone talking about the NFL (?) policy where there is an independent medical review?

This from NRL.com

"Injured Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer plans to train with his team on Tuesday in his bid to play in Friday's NRL preliminary final against Manly at the SFS.

Lockyer was only released from hospital on Sunday night after having three titanium plates inserted in his fractured cheek.

But Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin said on Monday he intended to train on Tuesday.

Griffin said Lockyer hoped to travel to Sydney with the team on Wednesday but they would have to take medical advice on whether he could fly then or should go later.

He said a final decision on whether he would play would be made by Lockyer himself."

Lets just get out there & WIN COME ON MANLY!!!!!! Please dont be distracted by all this stuff. You have worked so hard all season, you are just about to live the dream. MANLY SEA EAGLES 2011 Premiers

Are they going to leave it until Wednesday to see if he can fly? He probably won't be able to make it down to the game in time if he can't fly.

Ceagle said:
Are they going to leave it until Wednesday to see if he can fly? He probably won't be able to make it down to the game in time if he can't fly.

9hours is apparently the new 2 days

King said:
Honestly I think people on here are underestimating the inspiration the Broncos team will draw from having Darren play with the injury. They will be out to protect him and they will all play their hearts out for him. Playing on emotion can lift teams and give them an advantage. This is going to be one tough game and I'm in no doubt Darren will play.
I dont think people here underestimate the stupidity of Darren playing just 5 days after an operation. So his team mates are going to protect him are they? what are they going to do hold his hand during the game? There is no advantage here but only a big risk. Will he last the whole game? and if he dosent his team will be a man down. Will he be in two minds when he has the ball and sees Metai and his agro mates charging at him? The Broncos party is over folkes they have given Darren his fairwell in Brisbane now its Manly time to give Darren his fairwell in Sydney.

If they protect him, it means second phase plays are going to carve them up. Run in draw all the minders , and flick one out the back to a quicker guy

• 👍
Reactions: PJ
torana355 said:
Why is this thread still going? Who cares if he plays!!!

Clearly every Broncos supporter, and a whole bunch of Sea Eagles supporters.

Any other obvious information you need us to clarify?

Daniel said:
torana355 said:
Why is this thread still going? Who cares if he plays!!!

Clearly every Broncos supporter, and a whole bunch of Sea Eagles supporters.

Any other obvious information you need us to clarify?

hahah very funny :p What im saying is we should treat this game like he is playing instead of buying into the media hype around Lockyer.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6