in the State of Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Something's Rotten in the State of Brookvale

Central Coast Eagle said:
I haven't seen a replay yet, but at the game I felt that when Lui went on at about the 55min mark he straightened our attack. Before that I thought we were running side ways too much.

The outside back also started to dummy and run more that trying to push passes while the Panthers outside backs were rushing up.

Yeah, I noticed this. A hard running forward in the mode of Joe G is what we appear to be lacking this year, particularly when coming off our line. When we get a hit up like this and a reasonably quick play the ball, our backs are absolutely lethal. Unfortunately its happening only rarely.

At 22-6 down I confidnet we could still win. The only reason we were behind so much was two intercepts tries. Our defence had been solid. I knew if we cut the errors out and held on to the ball we were still a chance.

The Indian said:
I thought we were way to sideways for the majority of the match - massive DCE fan but sometimes in games where are forwards are struggling he compounds it with more sideways stuff. Accepting that its difficult for the backs when our forwards are having no impact.

Our forwards are cuddling and wrestling more than hurting opponents - look at what Docker did to Matt Ballin in contrast - we desperately need to get some mongrel in the forward pack. Teams are popping offloads and standing in tackles without fear of getting hurt. I don't think opposition packs fear us at all. They are adequate but we need more than that to win it.

If we just get a bit more fire in the forwards, put a bit of fear into the opponents - there is still so much good about this side we can still make a splash.

Hopefully that rousing finish provides an enthusiasm injection.

I agree except for Docker's hit on Matty: it was late and a cheap shoulder shot to the back that the MRC should* definately have a look at...

* who am I kidding... They'll let it go... :(

I agree, our forwards should have gone harder early on, that way being too tired to steamroll over the top of the Penrith forwards late in the game, thus handing them the win.

Penrith were short (9) 1st graders yesterday. So the boys were playing a 50/50 NSW cup/ 1st grade team. Now reflect on the first 60 - 65 mins.

Kingy retiring ........ tick
Matai 200 games.....tick
18,000 crowd..........tick
sunny sunday arvo...tick

Motiation, setting and team in place .....tick

So with all that the day had going for it, what did the boys do ?

They "almost" got steamrolled by reserve graders.

There is something fishy at Brookie, and I hope to hell it clears before the 2nd semi..

Play like we did yesterday and souffs, dogs, rorts will have us for breakfast & we will be out in straight sets.

We were far too soft up the middle early on. That concerns me more than the errors, which hopefully can be rectified.
To be fair we were missing our starting prop but Penrith had a lot more out injured/suspended. The suggestion of "rope-a-dope" above (let them wear themselves out early by ... umm ... going way ahead on the scoreboard) isn't going to work on some of the other sides.
I agree with those who say we got more out of bench forwards than we have for a while.

Good teams find a way to win - simple as that. We have a good group of players. As long as they focus on the "right things", we are the best team in the competition.

Let me weigh in with a few positives from the game:
We staged a comeback win without both first choice dummy half and back-up. Just about any team would struggle to do this.
Watmough burst through with a bit of footwork, something we haven't seen for a while and hopefully more of that to come.
Stewart seems to be running more freely than for a couple of years.
DCE was relatively quiet but Foran had a great game. To have the luxury of two match-winners in the halves is something most teams only dream of.

KOMORI said:
The Indian said:
I thought we were way to sideways for the majority of the match - massive DCE fan but sometimes in games where are forwards are struggling he compounds it with more sideways stuff. Accepting that its difficult for the backs when our forwards are having no impact.

Our forwards are cuddling and wrestling more than hurting opponents - look at what Docker did to Matt Ballin in contrast - we desperately need to get some mongrel in the forward pack. Teams are popping offloads and standing in tackles without fear of getting hurt. I don't think opposition packs fear us at all. They are adequate but we need more than that to win it.

If we just get a bit more fire in the forwards, put a bit of fear into the opponents - there is still so much good about this side we can still make a splash.

Hopefully that rousing finish provides an enthusiasm injection.

I agree except for Docker's hit on Matty: it was late and a cheap shoulder shot to the back that the MRC should* definately have a look at...

* who am I kidding... They'll let it go... :(

I agree it was cheap shot by Docker and all that... not saying its worth a suspension though....BUT like it or not its the sort of shot that signals intent to your opposition and shows that you are desperate to win and makes ball players think twice about running to the line. I reckon we could do with a bit more of that " hit to hurt...legally " mentality.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagles2nv said:
i found our execution was our biggest killer.
True, not many realise this but execution usually leads to death.

apparantly coppers fatally shot a bloke recently and he died.

Does anybody mind if I change the thread title? It doesn't sit right with me. I don't like speaking like this about our club. It's fodder for the media and trolls.
Just asking?

Hands up, who ever believed that we would be top of the league with one round to go?

I admit that watching yesterdays game had me very concerned that the guys were not together as a team for the first time in a long time.

Yesterday in a large respect was a comedy performance from the boys, full of errors and some mighty clangers.

One thing this team has is resilience.

After seeing the finish of the game, you trust that Manly don't know when they are beaten, we had no right to win that game.

There is no doubt that they need to be sharp from the get go for the finals games. One thing that you can bank on is the team has character!!

niccipops said:
Does anybody mind if I change the thread title. It doesn't sit right with me. I don't like speaking like this about our club. It's fodder for the media and trolls.
Just asking?

No.

I do mind you asking though.

You're a mod, just do it!

:heart::angel::cool::D

sheridanstand78 said:
Hands up, who ever believed that we would be top of the league with one round to go?

smiley_with_thumbs_up.png

globaleagle said:
ewww....manmotions!
Nothing wrong with a lovely bit of Manly bromance between the Snake and the King Dog.:heart:

@"Ron E. Gibbs" there's some great photos from Sunday on the MWSE website. This one is my favourite.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6