In the long term this use of the bench will kill us

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
I can 100% see why Tooves is loathe to use our bench players in these tight clashes we always seem to involve ourselves in.To put it simply our current bench with the injuries is close to the most ineffective in the league.If you look at it as a game by game problem the current use of the bench is sort of explainable but in the long term it is going to kill us.

Seriously,does anyone think playing 4 forwards for 80 minutes for 24 rounds in the drag em out style we do can possibly end in a title.At the moment Horo,Choc,Glen and Ballin play the full game and Lawrence more than most props.Even when Symonds plays the backrowers get virtually no let up.

Anyone who has see the dressing room after an NRL clash will tell you it looks like an ambulance ward even if there are no major injuries.I cant believe choc and horo can walk after a game given the lines they run for 80 minutes.

With King,Nood and Faoso out long term we either give these guys a shot and our backrow guns a rest or god help us.Add to that the fact that one more injury to the backrow and its basically curtains it is a no brainer!

And the effects are so obvious.Errors due to fatigue,particularly the last part of halves is killing us.Horo last week and Glen and Lawrence this week are classic examples.

No one can convince me we are any chance against the top sides later on going down this path. Look at Melbourne-their bench is no group of world beaters but they get the most out of them and freshen up their side during the game.I seriously fear for us missing the eight if we don't play smarter.

ps and we need to find another hooker as back up.80 minutes of smith may cut it,80 minutes of matty won''t.

Yep, our bench is just 1 of several problems we've got at the moment. With all of the experience that's missing, we need some enthusiasm and real impact. How long has it been since, you've looked forward to one of our bench players coming on? I used to look forward to Big George having a run and he was better last night. Perhaps getting some regular first grade will be the motivation he needs to drop some weight and find his form again. I'd also like to see young Sao get a run.

Matty definitely needs a break and Buhrer is the ideal sub. He should be coming on around the 25-30min mark and playing until the 55-60min mark. That gives him a good 30min run with a break in-between and Matty gets a decent break as well.

Wait until he's forced to bring more youngsters up from the reggies. We'll have four newbs sitting on the bench for 80 minutes.

If they are good enough to be picked, Tooves should show them the faith. I mean really, could Hasson think that's who it was do any worse than some of the senior players efforts? Thought he did will in his debut.

Great post, it simply makes no sense how we are using the bench now.. We all know the talent buhrer possesses, he needs some game time and hence confidence. Needs at Least 40 mins a game and rotate with horo and choc, also give choc a ten minute stint on the edge to lighten his load a tad, and possibly hit a few foran shortballs, and maybe 10 mins spell before halftime.

Lawton would be perfect for the bench, or maybe Chisholm., not enough minutes in rose..maybe Sao is fitter, who knows.

But we sure a **** need to get better use off our bench.

Maybe not this week but with the news about King it is only a matter of time.The footy season is a long haul, plenty of time for another player to come through, and I'm still hoping Chee Kam comes to the fore over the next month or two. He was explosive in the 20s last year.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Maybe not this week but with the news about King it is only a matter of time.The footy season is a long haul, plenty of time for another player to come through, and I'm still hoping Chee Kam comes to the fore over the next month or two. He was explosive in the 20s last year.

I saw Chee Kam hobbling round the Mall in his moon boot last Thursday. Probably still a way off.

I think Tooves is old school and finds using the interchange bench a pain. Do you bring on someone just for the sake of it and risk changing the momentum of the game for the worse ? I think it would be one of the hardest aspects of being an NRL coach. He would have hated to be inter- changed when he was playing...maybe he's brought that same mentality to his coaching ?

dowdz said:
If they are good enough to be picked, Tooves should show them the faith. I mean really, could Hasson think that's who it was do any worse than some of the senior players efforts? Thought he did will in his debut.

Agree. I thought his debut was great. Agree fully with Susans post.
The other problem I see is the psychological effect of having being picked in first grade playing at Brookie...and you sit there for 80..it'd be embarrassing and humiliating for Hasson I would think (of course Hasson would say he's happy to do whats best for the team),imagine having friends and family turn up to watch you sit down for the whole game!...we all hated it when Sheens did it to DCE, and it's a **** call by Tooves. If you pick 'em, play'em!

wombatgc said:
dowdz said:

Agree. I thought his debut was great. Agree fully with Susans post.
The other problem I see is the psychological effect of having being picked in first grade playing at Brookie...and you sit there for 80..it'd be embarrassing and humiliating for Hasson I would think (of course Hasson would say he's happy to do whats best for the team),imagine having friends and family turn up to watch you sit down for the whole game!...we all hated it when Sheens did it to DCE, and it's a s**t call by Tooves. If you pick 'em, play'em!

Yep, and hopefully it is not going to effect his confidence. We have had 3 tough games in a row now we have the scum. Use the bench and rest the forwards for a while.

2V just gets so involved in the game he forgets he has a bench. Dat's all.

I thought that Hasson played the previous day in NSW cup against norths? Maybe that was why he didn't get a run on Monday night?

On hasson, You have to think of the game. 10 -4 for all but the last minute of the second half. Game in balance. Really horo and choc, you want them there. Gifty could have pulled us out of it and kite and lawrence cam back on at the end. I think it was just one of those games when tooves wanted his best players there to try to win it

The 10 m was non existenet. it was a tough game. I support leaving hasson on the bench due to circumstances against the chooks. If Manly had of been up by 20 im sure he would have got a run

In saying that it wasnt a one off, but each game has to be looked at individually

I like the stress introduced to those a) on the field and b) those that stay on the bench.
Its real world condition to build up the resolve to a) maintain the rage b) maintain the hunger to put in once on the field.

I also hope that at training, Manly gets one of those automatic ball throwing machines and have the Team practice catching erratic, full force passes to mirror the game time throws of last week:exclamation:

Manly need to be able to catch a ball blind folded, running at full speed and from ankle height :idea:

jbb/james said:
On hasson, You have to think of the game. 10 -4 for all but the last minute of the second half. Game in balance. Really horo and choc, you want them there. Gifty could have pulled us out of it and kite and lawrence cam back on at the end. I think it was just one of those games when tooves wanted his best players there to try to win it

The 10 m was non existenet. it was a tough game. I support leaving hasson on the bench due to circumstances against the chooks. If Manly had of been up by 20 im sure he would have got a run

In saying that it wasnt a one off, but each game has to be looked at individually

James,apart from the fact this is not a one off and happens regularly when we are missing troops,what is the point of having a bench if you only play guys when your winning or losing by 20 and it doesn't matter a fig.Almost every game we have played in recent years has been a dogfight,even in premiership years.

We do not blow sides away and rarely do we have a match wrapped up until the death(TC mentions this a lot) so + or - 20 points is usually irrelevant anyway..This is incredibly fatiguing in the long run both mentally and physically for the forwards and places great pressure on our halves.If these guys never get a rest it is crazy.

If we adopt this approach we will have 6 or 7 guys in wheelchairs by R24.The side that wins the cup is always healthy and has momentum and believe me what you mention is not a recipe for that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4