In a Different League Matthew Ridge Doco

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've never seen it before either ... thanks for posting ... another great Manly fullback ... I remrmber him at Brooky taking a drop goal and missing it but following through and regathering to score a try ... emulating Bozo I think against Cronulla at Cronulla in a wet game in the mid 60's

Good doc great insight. He was a champion player too our club had some good fullbacks.
I been in off season you tube watched Martin offiah poms could do with him these days.
Interesting to get the arogrant thoughts of rugby folk of league back then, Kirwan eventually tried with warriors was a total failure.
Ridge safe under high ball, great goal kicker good vision could put him at 6 if needed now a kiwi TV personality

A fearless fullback and sublime goal kicker. When he played for us, tries were worth 6 points instead of 4.

I was always a big Matthew Ridge fan. Tough bugger who was a pioneering goal kicker with his technique, a good runner of the ball and the best at organising our defence.
The most amazing thing I got from the video was the fact the guy only started playing Rugby at fifteen ffs..Prior to that tennis and soccer.. A few years later he's a dual league/union international - that's a talented athlete

Great seeing Lowe teaching Ridge goal line positional play for his first game of rugby league ever, and first grade, and at fullback, off an old video without even a remote to pause/rewind. Classic stuff.

Jesus Christ, I hope they still don't use those training technique's ! That trainer scared the bujezus out of me ! "Ok, punch the hell out of Matthew, and if I don't think you are, you're going up the ropes".

LOL

The most amazing thing I got from the video was the fact the guy only started playing Rugby at fifteen ffs..Prior to that tennis and soccer.. A few years later he's a dual league/union international - that's a talented athlete
I recall him stating that his soccer experience was a big part of what made him such a good goal kicker. Which makes sense...

Manly have had some superb Fullbacks in their history and this guy was right up there. A great organiser, fiery and a bit of an innovator too. I remember when kicking for touch from a penalty, he would set the ball up on a tee and do it that way. Gained the team plenty of field position doing it.

He also had a hot younger sister who used to do laps around the field during the game. I was 14-16 at the time and me and the boys used to love when she would walk past all of us on the hill.

I remember when kicking for touch from a penalty, he would set the ball up on a tee and do it that way. Gained the team plenty of field position doing it.

I never understand why more teams don't do this... it's an easy way to pick up 20-30 metres, get attack running forward, defence running back, and under pressure.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6