Immortal Beaver

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rynostradamus

Reserve Grader
I am aware of previous threads that have called for Steve Menzies to be made an Immortal. However, none have been raised since he retired.

My aim here is to develop the momentum on this thread to make it happen.

These are the grounds on which i make this certain claim;
- All time forward games record.
- All time forward 1 club player (under the same license for the nay sayers)
- All time forward try scoring record
holder.
- All time best and fairest forward - sin binned once never suspended
- All time best defensive technique of a forward
- All time cleanskin record off the field.
- One club, Australian and NSW legend
- respect of his peers, opposition fans, players and coaches
- 2 time premiership player in the modern era
- Oldest player to play top flight rugby league inclusive of his super league stint.
- An idol for current, junior and future Rugby League players to model themselves as people and players.

Admin I have kicked off. I ask for your help to shape this thread into a meaningful launch to honour, in my and the undersigneds opion a submission to those who make the decree that Steve "Beaver" Menzies is an immortal of our game.

Let's make this happen Manly Warringah Sea Eagle fans.

Manly to Win.

Just such an underrated player. I think to me the thing that you said @Rynostradamus is his clean skin record, just a model player and person. Never even a hint of a scandal around him. And even people who just HATE manly cannot hate Steve Menzies. I've had friends who just despise every player from the sea eagles, but they always say 'except beaver'

Great man, great player. He's the only Manly player that no other fan can dislike. Won premierships, SOO and Test matches. Incisive ball runner, impeccable tackling technique, the complete footballer.

You could go on forever.... Rugby Union's equivalent would be John Eales.... And that is high praise for them both :)

I'm not sure about immortal status
He is much loved by most league fans
He's a good bloke
But could he turn a game on it's head consistently,not really

Brett Stewart on the other hand
DCE maybe
Lyon maybe
Lockyer no
Johnson maybe

I want flair, skill, clutch etc,essentially the complete footballer

I love beaver but sorry he's no immortal, he's just the second coming

The rules were changed for Immortals because of Johns that players can only be considered on their footballing skills and abilities only, which I think is a little silly but Johns was an incredible talent that we will unlikely see the likes of for a long time, though I think Chez has the base skills

I am aware of previous threads that have called for Steve Menzies to be made an Immortal. However, none have been raised since he retired.

My aim here is to develop the momentum on this thread to make it happen.

These are the grounds on which i make this certain claim;
- All time forward games record.
- All time forward 1 club player (under the same license for the nay sayers)
- All time forward try scoring record
holder.
- All time best and fairest forward - sin binned once never suspended
- All time best defensive technique of a forward
- All time cleanskin record off the field.
- One club, Australian and NSW legend
- respect of his peers, opposition fans, players and coaches
- 2 time premiership player in the modern era
- Oldest player to play top flight rugby league inclusive of his super league stint.
- An idol for current, junior and future Rugby League players to model themselves as people and players.

Admin I have kicked off. I ask for your help to shape this thread into a meaningful launch to honour, in my and the undersigneds opion a submission to those who make the decree that Steve "Beaver" Menzies is an immortal of our game.

Let's make this happen Manly Warringah Sea Eagle fans.

Manly to Win.
AND DID NOT SIGN WITH PARRA WHEN THEY CHASED HIM.

The rules were changed for Immortals because of Johns that players can only be considered on their footballing skills and abilities only, which I think is a little silly but Johns was an incredible talent that we will unlikely see the likes of for a long time, though I think Chez has the base skills
Sure Dan but Beavers tackling and try scoring ability i.e. skill are unparalleled for any forward in the history of our game. If he isnt the benchmark at this point in time. Who is?

Sadly I don't think he will be recognised for his achievements. He is deserving, however; he does not have the public affairs backing him up. These days you need to be a media darling to get this sort of recognition!
Probably true without ALL of our support

Please detail a forward from any club in any era whose record is superior to Beavers. There isnt one mate on any point i made.

I'm not sure about immortal status
He is much loved by most league fans
He's a good bloke
But could he turn a game on it's head consistently,not really

Brett Stewart on the other hand
DCE maybe
Lyon maybe
Lockyer no
Johnson maybe

I want flair, skill, clutch etc,essentially the complete footballer

I love beaver but sorry he's no immortal, he's just the second coming
Clearly you are too young, didnt play, or lost. Beaver Menzies was the glue in the side throughout his career. His defensive skill is unparalled and he owns the try scoring record. He did this without skiĺl did he champ? What are you looking for in a forward immortal someone to score more tries than the guy who set the bar?

I can't think of a better secondrower than Steve Menzies his attacking ability was unparrelled in his category and his defence was as good as any. There wouldn't be many forwards more deserving of immortal status

Please detail a forward from any club in any era whose record is superior to Beavers. There isnt one mate on any point i made.
More deserving or having a better record does not automatically qualify one for good enough for a mortal.

Will Beaver be remembered by those after his time like the guys like Axe, Spud and Harrigon will be?

I would say no.

Don't get me wrong, Beaver was an incredible player, with a lot of skill, dedication and just all round a great guy, but do you put him in the class of players as Bob Fulton and Reg Gasnier?

Not for mine, he just doesn't quite make that grade.

More deserving or having a better record does not automatically qualify one for good enough for a mortal.

Will Beaver be remembered by those after his time like the guys like Axe, Spud and Harrigon will be?

I would say no.

Don't get me wrong, Beaver was an incredible player, with a lot of skill, dedication and just all round a great guy, but do you put him in the class of players as Bob Fulton and Reg Gasnier?

Not for mine, he just doesn't quite make that grade.
You are comparing him to backs largely. Your comparisoms to Carroll and Gillmeister are laughable to be honest.

Well Artie Beetson for one

Beaver didn't really do the hard yards he was an extra centre, forwards aren't supposed to score tries it's an abnormality,when i think second rower i think fringes of the ruck and sometimes up the guts, not next to the winger.....

I know manly legend etc but not an immortal, was he as good as Bob Fulton even for a microsecond? Uhhh no sorry

I played more than most and even a few games for lower grades at penrith but my heart was never in it in that licorice all sorts outfit, lack of talent not withstanding i just wasn't a professional, truth be told i played by default otherwise known as enormous injury toll

How many games did you play above park level or were you a bigger numpty than i was?

• 🤝
Reactions: Dan
And to compare Beaver to thats gold Harrigan spanks of treason to me. If you arent drinking you should. If you are drinking time to put the west coast coolers down because your comments spank of a west coast eagle convert. I guess you got admin status because of your silver tail. You clearly have never run at anyone to make those callz. FAIL mate

Well Artie Beetson for one

Beaver didn't really do the hard yards he was an extra centre, forwards aren't supposed to score tries it's an abnormality,when i think second rower i think fringes of the ruck and sometimes up the guts, not next to the winger.....

I know manly legend etc but not an immortal, was he as good as Bob Fulton even for a microsecond? Uhhh no sorry

I played more than most and even a few games for lower grades at penrith but my heart was never in it in that licorice all sorts outfit, lack of talent not withstanding i just wasn't a professional, truth be told i played by default otherwise known as enormous injury toll

How many games did you play above park level or were you a bigger numpty than i was?
Last cut for harold matts at raiders before i copped a string of injuries but it was the bruised brain that ended it for me. Run at me.

You are comparing him to backs largely. Your comparisoms to Carroll and Gillmeister are laughable to be honest.

Backs sure, but they stood out far above Beaver as stand out. Loved he may be, club legend he may be but he just didnt reach that level to be an immortal.

If I think of great forwards I think of the Props and forwards that gave their all on the field and just kept giving.

If I think of top line Tacklers, sure Beaver is up there, but guys like Axe will be remembers for just breaking blokes in half, sure mainly because it was more spectacular, but he has always widely been known as the best there was for tackling style.

Please don't get me wrong I loved Menzies will go down as my favourite all time Manly player, but that doesn't make him immortal. My kids won't know who he was, he just isn't and wouldnt be talked about in that way

As much as I love Beaver he wasn't anywhere near the class of Ron Coote or Norm Provan and they are not Immortals.

For mine Terry Randall was much more valuable to Manly than Beaver. Randall was a major player in 4 premierships, led our pack for those last two in 76 and 78. Then played in the 82 Grnad Final and retired afterwards.

Beaver like Randall is a club legend. Not an immortal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4