• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I suppose no one cares, not even sure I do but was just reading an online article in the Brisbane Times written by Roy Masters.

To me it seems as though Andrew Johns is a walk up for this.

Norm Provan overlooked years ago, Ron Coote hasn't done enough so it's beween big Mal and Joey, so says Masters ( who I have little time for anyway). So is he right or is he wrong??

Anyone got an opinion on this or could you not give a toss as it's not a Manly player???

When it comes to this topic many people offer their opinion based on their assessment of the players character, rather than basing it purely on the players on field record.

I dont do that so its Johns by a fair way ahead of Meninga.

AND Jatz that's the way Masters said it had to go, NOT based on what they did (or do) off the field, ONLY on field performances.

I reckon Mal's list of records/achievements is superior to Joey's, however Johns is probably the more talented footballer. Personally I think Mal deserves it, and maybe his coaching career success with QLD since he retired will see him get the nod.

Then again, there seems a lot of love around for Johns, so I won't be surprised if it's him.

Norm Provan should not have been overlooked. His record is better than every other player/coach.
Not that I really care.
When can we start nominating Beaver and Jamie?

Chip and Chase said:
I reckon Mal's list of records/achievements is superior to Joey's, however Johns is probably the more talented footballer. Personally I think Mal deserves it, and maybe his coaching career success with QLD since he retired will see him get the nod.

Then again, there seems a lot of love around for Johns, so I won't be surprised if it's him.

Remember C & C, it's purely based on "on field" performances, the judges were told to NOT consider anything off field, which I assume would also mean coaching

Fair enough then, but his has played more games for Queensland than Joey for NSW, and more games for Australia, including 4 Kangaroo tours. Both captained their State and Country as well

Johns by a longshot. Should have made him immortal the day he retired.

If you disagree, you are;

A - Blind
B - an idiot
C - unable to comprehend how Rugby League works.

No doubt Mal stood nearer the silverware more than Joey but for mine, Johns had a far greater influence on the game,

Be it a stock standard club game or a representative match. He could turn a team & its scoreboard around with greater fooballing skill than Meninga.

If you compare the playing ability of both players, who do you think is more talented?

Joey is a shoe in. Unfortunately that means we have to listen to Malwhinger cry about it.

If Joey's career hadn't been cut short by injuries he may have matched some of the numbers of Mal.

The crazy thing is the one player today that has Joey qualities is Foran. He will be an immortal one day.

Still remember the year where he was out injured for most of it, maybe 04 or something

Newcastle were stone cold last, some horrendous streak of 2/14 or something like that, and Johns came back and they won nearly every one of their remaining games

Freak

Mal was no slouch.

Anyway there isn't a halfback in the Immortal list yet so maybe Joey will get the nod.

Napper said:
The crazy thing is the one player today that has Joey qualities is Foran. He will be an immortal one day.

Mate, I love Foran, but seriously ?? Foran doesn't have half the skill set Johns had. I wish he did, we'd be unstoppable.

Johns should never be considered. Why? His admitted drug use. That's it. Off field behaviour should be considered. If Johns was a pedophile would Masters be promoting him? I think not.

Chip and Chase said:
Mal was no slouch.

Anyway there isn't a halfback in the Immortal list yet so maybe Joey will get the nod.

Napper said:

Mate, I love Foran, but seriously ?? Foran doesn't have half the skill set Johns had. I wish he did, we'd be unstoppable.

Yes but some of the things he does reminds me of a young Johns. Hes nowhere near him YET but if he continues to improve he will come close.

DSM5 said:
Johns should never be considered. Why? His admitted drug use. That's it. Off field behaviour should be considered. If Johns was a pedophile would Masters be promoting him? I think not.

You are kidding mate. Comparing a drug user to a paedophile?

I've heard it all.

I'll tell you how it will happen:

- Joey Johns will get the 8th Immortal spot.

- QLD will whinge

- John Grant, being a QLDer will negotiate with the RLW (who own the immortal concept) and bring it into the fold of the ARLC

- They'll then change the rules to include stuff you have done off the field for the game as well.

- Mal Meninga will be Immortal 9, Norm Provan 10, Ron Coote 11, Darren Lockyer 12, Peter Sterling 13, Steve Menzies 14, Cameron Smith 15, Billy Slater 16. Whoever comes after that will be probably playing the game today. Who knows who that will be?

As much as it will change the idea of it, I think this is the way to go. There are a lot of people that have done stuff off the field during and after their career ended that need to also be placed in this elite group. However, I also believe that, if you are to take into account what you have done off the field, you need to have been a part of the game for over 10 years since you retired as a footballer, as well as represented the state and your team for a minimal number of games, as well as be a game changer.

You should also have been exemplary, both on the field and off. This includes not being suspended often, or being arrested on in trouble for misbehaving. Joey would not get immortal status after these changes so he'll need to get it this time, or he'll never be given it. Also, Thurston should only get it if he wins the Cowboys a premiership ;)

Mark from Brisbane said:
AND Jatz that's the way Masters said it had to go, NOT based on what they did (or do) off the field, ONLY on field performances.

how can we be certain that his drug use was only 'recreational' & not performance enhancing also?

i know its guilt by association but with other players in the team getting caught for such substances is it possible/probable that he was using performance enhancing drugs also?

was he really going to admit to his drug use in his book or was that only said because he was caught?

his ability on the field was 2nd to none but i believe questions will always be asked about him & drug use, and maybe never answered-depending on which view you have.

Hall of fame: for players coaches staff whoever and whatever reasons you can choose to justify it.
Immortals: players only picked from the hall of fame, only those with a good off field record should be considered.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6