If Toov's has been sacked in the media, A club great prior to the Penn's take over has hit a new low

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When the Penn's took over i was prepared to give them a chance that in some hope the sole ownership would put an end to the back room BS. With all the shambles of the contract negotiations, which could have been sorted out before a ball was even kicked this season, to the signing of players without consent from the coach, to the coach being kept out of the loop with player retention, to more pie in the sky rubbish with regards to Brookvale and the constant media leaks they have stretched that chance to breaking point.

Put aside the need for change of coach etc for a minute and imagine being Toovey and having to read this all the time and constantly being asked the same questions in regards to retention, rifts, and his own future over and over again. The man loves the club and it is plain for any supporter or hater to see when he speaks and how he never gives up a chance to put a positive comment about the club but more importantly addresses us the fans when he speaks.

The board members should be ashamed of themselves as i am ashamed for the way they have quite frankly pissed on his integrity and hung him out to dry.

The thing that Manly had over all the others was the link it has with it's past champions that rally around when the going gets tough. Now it's just business no matter who you are.

As for Fulton, the club legend he is he should have said straight up to Penn when he was approached "keep Geoff safe from the media as this club doesn't shaft it's legends and no more leaks in regards to his future". Not that Penn the smug faced p*ick would have listened anyway.

Manly is now just another heartless soulless club and in regards to next season, even by some miracle we win a premiership it will never be as sweet as when Des was in charge. And for me to say that as i can't look at Des really shows what a s*ithole this club has become in a year.

Regardless if you like Tooves or not as a coach, as a Manly fan to see a Manly legend being treated the way he his is not right and if they see change as being necessary there are more respectful ways to go about it.

What a man Toovey is as he has never once bad mouthed anyone and as soon as he leaves so does my support for the club.

They can now sit amongst Wests and Parra as to who is the wooden spoon/biggest basket case in the league.

We are far and away the worst of the lot this season because of how far we have fallen due to gross mismanagement and incompetence at board level.

I hope they do announce the change so that we, the other forgotten ppl by management can farwell Tooves and thank him for what he did for our club when 2011 and Desgate eventuated.

Apologies for the negative post on a Friday but as a life long Manly fan it is very very disappointing to see how a man that has the clubs best interest at heart can be treated so badly by it.

#tooveyismanly

If the board really wanted to show some respect to Tooves, they should've kept their loose lips shut after tonight's board meeting and waited until they could privately and officially advise Tooves and the players of their decision, and then proceed to make an official media release and/or statement!

I think it's terrible that after the boys had left for Auckland, someone 'leaked' news that the board was meeting tonight to determine Tooves' future and then see Tooves bailed up at Auckland airport and questioned about the board meeting discussions! Which IMO he did seem a little taken aback with the news!
Now Tooves and the players have to try and prepare and front up for a tough game in 48hrs with yet again more fresh club drama!!

And regardless if the board have told Tooves multiple times over recent weeks, they should've shown more respect and professionalism and made it official back then, instead of multiple informal taps on the shoulder!!
I don't blame Tooves for denying he's been informally advised! I mean the club didn't make an official announcement and it's not Tooves job to confirm his sacking to the media! And IMO it's pretty low balling of the board to expect him to do so too!! Talk about hanging a club legend out to dry!!
I know that I too would have denied all 'speculation' until the club make the official announcement!!

Whoever has been 'leaking' our dirty laundry to the media, please do us all a favour and find out who it is and sack them too!!
It is pretty obvious who the leak is and the lack of respect shown to our coach is unbelievable. I thought a board meeting was meant to be confidential and within minutes the news is out to a guy who works for an organisation that spends its existence in trying to run our club down where ever possible, to whom ever leaks this stuff to this organisation, well to me what ever their agenda is, its hurting our club and it needs to be stopped if we are to be a united club moving forward!

Toovey_McDougall-Stomp.JPG

Toovey has been kicked in the face before - now it's by MSE :eek:

Why is everyone surprised at today's relevantions we have all known for weeks that this was happening, Tooves has as well.

He has hardly been blind sided - as soon as Barrett was stood down at the riff he was gone. I love Tooves as much as the next true supporter and I wish it could be different.

But the fact we have been a basket case for the best part of 12 months on the field meant things had to change.

In pro sport the coach is the first to go - even club legends as tough as that is for loyal fans to take.

I wonder if all this 'news' (14 players tapped on shoulder, Toovey offered another job) would have come out if we smashed the Cowboys? Hmmm...
I think more likely it came out intentionally BEFORE the cowboys game because someone was worried Manly were starting to click and Tooves may have guided Manly to an unlikely finals series, which would have made sacking him difficult. It had the desired result with the team playing like they'd be expected to play after hearing that news, and Penn can now feel justified in treating yet another club legend like crap.

Last edited:
I agree that Toovs is a club legend and this has been handled extremely poorly but having said that I want results and this year we haven't got them. This is a club that thrives on adversity, remember the finals run in 78? Remember the infighting of the last 10 yrs? Barrett has done zero as a coach but those in the know reckon he has the goods. DCE chose to stay knowing Barrett would be here next year. Does anybody think he would have stayed had Toovs been the coach. Snake wants to stay as well. Myles Brown and Api are coming as well. They would all know Toovs won't be here but they still wanted to come. I support the club not the individual. Toovs has been amazing for this club since he debuted in the late 80's and I have enormous respect for him but it's a business these days and results are all that count. I'll be a member next year because I support the club

Why is everyone surprised at today's relevantions we have all known for weeks that this was happening, Tooves has as well.

He has hardly been blind sided - as soon as Barrett was stood down at the riff he was gone. I love Tooves as much as the next true supporter and I wish it could be different.

But the fact we have been a basket case for the best part of 12 months on the field meant things had to change.

In pro sport the coach is the first to go - even club legends as tough as that is for loyal fans to take.

Wrong - Manly finished equal first less than 12 months ago@:cool:

Every other Coach has had a Press Conference to announce their sacking and it was OFFICIAL - that's why we are outraged.:mad:

MSE Franchise has leaked this news to the Media (they are 100% in charge this year), and to date have not confirmed 2v's sacking to their Members.:cool:

I respect Toovey as he is Manly to the core. But this is a results driven business. I know he has done well the last few years given the circumstance and held the team together as best as he could but ultimately he was riding off the back of Des. This was always going to happen at one point with or without Des to be honest. It a shame that Toovey was in the firing line for this one and I don't think within himself could of done a better job.
I'm all for the coaching change now as we need it and it show on the field. Not taking away from Toovey passion or live for our club.
I think Barrett will be a good fit even untested as he is. But a moden approach with a new roster will be refreshing for us.

When the Penn's took over i was prepared to give them a chance that in some hope the sole ownership would put an end to the back room BS. With all the shambles of the contract negotiations, which could have been sorted out before a ball was even kicked this season, to the signing of players without consent from the coach, to the coach being kept out of the loop with player retention, to more pie in the sky rubbish with regards to Brookvale and the constant media leaks they have stretched that chance to breaking point.

Put aside the need for change of coach etc for a minute and imagine being Toovey and having to read this all the time and constantly being asked the same questions in regards to retention, rifts, and his own future over and over again. The man loves the club and it is plain for any supporter or hater to see when he speaks and how he never gives up a chance to put a positive comment about the club but more importantly addresses us the fans when he speaks.

The board members should be ashamed of themselves as i am ashamed for the way they have quite frankly pissed on his integrity and hung him out to dry.

The thing that Manly had over all the others was the link it has with it's past champions that rally around when the going gets tough. Now it's just business no matter who you are.

As for Fulton, the club legend he is he should have said straight up to Penn when he was approached "keep Geoff safe from the media as this club doesn't shaft it's legends and no more leaks in regards to his future". Not that Penn the smug faced p*ick would have listened anyway.

Manly is now just another heartless soulless club and in regards to next season, even by some miracle we win a premiership it will never be as sweet as when Des was in charge. And for me to say that as i can't look at Des really shows what a s*ithole this club has become in a year.

Regardless if you like Tooves or not as a coach, as a Manly fan to see a Manly legend being treated the way he his is not right and if they see change as being necessary there are more respectful ways to go about it.

What a man Toovey is as he has never once bad mouthed anyone and as soon as he leaves so does my support for the club.

They can now sit amongst Wests and Parra as to who is the wooden spoon/biggest basket case in the league.

We are far and away the worst of the lot this season because of how far we have fallen due to gross mismanagement and incompetence at board level.

I hope they do announce the change so that we, the other forgotten ppl by management can farwell Tooves and thank him for what he did for our club when 2011 and Desgate eventuated.

Apologies for the negative post on a Friday but as a life long Manly fan it is very very disappointing to see how a man that has the clubs best interest at heart can be treated so badly by it.

#tooveyismanly
It is a total shower what has evolved this season, very early on Penn stated that Toovey would be judged on results.

If you are objective you will see that Toovey has spent the whole season trying to cope with the gaping wounds that our club had to deal with over the retention of our halves, a crippling injury toll that has forced the club to play a record amount of players this season as a result.

At no stage have the club looked together and Toovey for four years has done his best to hold it all together after Doggler went to the dark side.

I challenge any coach to do a better job, even Wayne Bennett who is recognized as the best coach in the game defended Toovey,

Penn and his clan promised to be upfront with the fans and communicate. We have heard bugger all from our CEO since Albury and the only thing that we hear is leaks from the Penn camp to the media that continue to undermine the club.

Tooveys love of the club has prevented him from walking away, which he is well within his rights to do now. For the board to do this while hes away preparing the team for what is the last roll of the dice game this season is appalling.

If they were going to make this change with Toovey surely it should have been done when mathematically we are out of contention and given a full explanation to Toovey and the players who are it seems as much in the dark as we are. For the players its also very hard when someone at the club leaks to the press that up to 14 of you might be gone for 2016.

Manly for years and years were the benchmark for professionalism and toughness as a club.

We are a RABBLE at board level!

What people forget is that Tooves lost the playing group late last year and never truly got them back. Some angry old heads shut up because they got golden handshake deals but it doesn't mean the rot stopped.

If you recall Foz the cat mentioned when he went to the all stars that it would be a nice change from Tooves and his style of training. Foz, as big a dick as he's been, is well liked within the playing group. THAT is probably the feeling among a lot of the players. Say what you want about Tooves the legend - yes he is - that is fact - BUT - we should all be cautious in believing everything that comes out in the press verbatim. Not a wise move. As much as Penn is being painted as an ass, it's also entirely possible that they tried to move Tooves on with dignity, but he dug his heels in. Anything is possible and we will probably never know. Just hope for stability and a better product next year and a team we can all get behind that puts in every week and is Hasson free...

Unfortunately coaching is a result driven job. I hope Toovey does take on a role at the club.
I can't see that happening in the short term.

Perhaps in a few years time when the dust settles & the Penns sell the club to a Chinese consortium and we become the Dee Woo Dragons he will come back in a management position ;)

Every other Coach has had a Press Conference to announce their sacking and it was OFFICIAL - that's why we are outraged.:mad:

MSE Franchise has leaked this news to the Media (they are 100% in charge this year), and to date have not confirmed 2v's sacking to their Members.:cool:

This is the underlying point of why ppl are upset. The way he has been treated and made to look stupid (ie DCE's contract being pulled without his knowledge before being live on National TV) has been the main issue.

Up until this season he has had us in the hunt and this season hasn't been the best for what ever reason. Maybe it is time for a change of coach which is fair enough if management want something different but there are respectful ways of doing it and reflects on how inept management is to make their club or 'investment' the laughing stock of the league.

The writing is on the wall and hard decisions have to be made but it's in the way you go about it which the club has failed miserably.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4