If Robbo is fullback, we are in trouble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Biscuits link said:
and how often has he benn wrong

every time he puts Robbo in fullback, so must be somewhere around 10

Also when he puts Neumann on the wing

Luckily every time he was 'wrong' about Lyon as well he stuck to his instincts and what he knows of the bloke from watching him every day at training

He also wasn't too wrong about the other issue I can recall creating a lot of fuss around here, his opinion on the play of Aaron Groom

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Rex are you a psycho analyst? Sick em

I love the way you split that word "psychoanalyst" into two, SeaEagleRock8. Very insightful.

Even more so if the second word is bracketed.

If I had that career, I'd prefer to call myself "Therapist".  Being very careful to not place a space between the third and fourth letters.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Luckily every time he was 'wrong' about Lyon as well he stuck to his instincts and what he knows of the bloke from watching him every day at training

He also wasn't too wrong about the other issue I can recall creating a lot of fuss around here, his opinion on the play of Aaron Groom

So you're saying Des has never been wrong? I rate Des, I do, but to say he doesn't have flaws is laughable. Everyone with any idea can see Robbo is as much a fullback as Sam Murphy. It's time to tap out of Robbo at fullback.

Volley link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180195.msg220310#msg220310 date=1240462726]

So you're saying Des has never been wrong? I rate Des, I do, but to say he doesn't have flaws is laughable. Everyone with any idea can see Robbo is as much a fullback as Sam Murphy. It's time to tap out of Robbo at fullback.
[/quote]

No I am not saying that, but what I am saying is that the percentage of times he has gotten things wrong warrants the fact to have a bit more faith in him that he has some clue what he is doing

I am more than prepared to see Robbo at fullback if Des currently see's that as our best option

One important factor has Robbo ever been fullback with 2 good wingers in place ie Bani & Williams?

From memory he has had Neuman or the Koala or similar filling in at his other times at fullback, anyway may go better in better company.

Yep, it's the wingers fault Robbo is too slow to execute any backline moves. It's also the wingers fault when prop forwards step around Robbo like he isn't there whenever a break is made.

Volley link said:
Yep, it's the wingers fault Robbo is too slow to execute any backline moves. It's also the wingers fault when prop forwards step around Robbo like he isn't there whenever a break is made.

Apparently its the Orfords fault the forwards make less than 100m a game too

I just hope that the astute Mr Hasler has had Stewy in Robbos ear all week about organising the defence. That is my major issue with Robbos fullback play. He needs to scream at them & Stewy can tell him who is likely to do what. This bloke doesn't slide, that bloke is lazy, etc, etc.
Other than that, he can catch a high ball and has a fairly good footy brain.

They also need to have worked some new plays rather than just expecting Robbo to be Stewy. It's up to the whole team to adjust & that includes the coaching staff.

Volley link said:

Hey i'm grasping at straws here :)

Fluffy link said:
so the captain has nothing to do with motivating players now?

he has plenty but he cant pick up their legs and put one foot in front of the other for them can he?

So how did Robbo go against the cowboys?  I only heard the game on the radio and it appeared that he had a solid game but nothing flashy.

Still think someone else would be better at fullback?

he was ok, but not the answer

he stuggled to get the ball back on kick returns and was either ahead of or behind the play in attack meaning things broke down.

Stewart naturally knows how to run off of Orford and where the ball will be, Robbo is probably guilty of just running his line, but not really timing it right

Hes no Brett Stewart, which is no criticism in itself, there is only 1.

The problem lies when th team just runs the "Brett Stewart" moves, and Robbo simply can't pull it off the same way, shelve the second man coming in for Orford to pick up, and the Running at the outside shoulder of the right centre, and the centering kick off the outside of the boot for 3 months Des, Robbo doesnt have the burners for it and never will have, and the opposition knows how to cover it.

Time for something new, or old if they go back to basics

Get Williams to run off Lyon's short passes into a gap, like Bell did last year.  Leave Robbo to be Robbo, he's not Stewart.  And tell Kite that God only likes forwards who go forward. 

Stewart is great at getting his players into the right positions to cover the gaps in defense and marshalling everyone.  That's one of his many big strengths and a big reason why we had such a great defensive record last year.  We need someone at the back who can talk and do this well.  Is Robbo the answer?

I think it's about time for Dessie to give the Wolfman a go at the back, at least try him out for one week.

I definitely agree though with you Fro and DSM5, the team needs to change it's game plan significantly now that Stewart is not in the team.  Matai and Lyon made some great runs on Saturday night but there was no one there to back them up.

Arh sorry mate I must have missed that.

But in any case Manly had chances to win the game even without Stewart and I'm just disappointed that they didn't...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6