If Robbo is fullback, we are in trouble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
it's a fairly negative move, yes, he is quite safe, but safe doesn't cut it for winners in the nrl, yes Robbo can catch a bomb but he is glaringly exposed when running the ball back and gets smashed, no kicking game, doesn't seem to follow thru with the ball runners and when he runs that "stewie"play out wide he has to pass it as he cannot make the gap. I have little confidence in one on ones and he doesn't seem a talker at the back.

Surely Williams or Bani would be much better attacking options. Robbo is great on the wing but has little to offer away from it. We saw it clearly in early games.

And I will go on record, he ain't worth anywhere near 200-250 grand I have read about. 150 is tops for a mid twenties winger with decent speed.  I agree totally that he does score some smart tries on the wing and that's where he should stay.

Darren link said:
it's a fairly negative move, yes, he is quite safe, but safe doesn't cut it for winners in the nrl, yes Robbo can catch a bomb but he is glaringly exposed when running the ball back and gets smashed, no kicking game, doesn't seem to follow thru with the ball runners and when he runs that \"stewie\"play out wide he has to pass it as he cannot make the gap. I have little confidence in one on ones and he doesn't seem a talker at the back.

Surely Williams or Bani would be much better attacking options. Robbo is great on the wing but has little to offer away from it. We saw it clearly in early games.

And I will go on record, he ain't worth anywhere near 200-250 grand I have read about. 150 is tops for a mid twenties winger with decent speed.  I agree totally that he does score some smart tries on the wing and that's where he should stay.

someone wants to pay a winger 250k?

To be fair on Robbo, he is a winger playing fullback. We don't have a backup that is anywhere near the quality of Brett.  His pace, anticipation and footy savvy make him one of the stars of the game. No fullback in the comp could replace him. The rest of the players are just going to have to cover him and do the small things well in the hope that we can still make the semis.

Volley link said:
Folau's on 450k

Falou is both a winger and a centre and a step above most others in the entire league.....though 450K is too much for any winger. You can get 2 very good wingers and a backup for that

Sometimes adversity can be the best thing to happen to us. Particularly if it shakes up fixed belief systems.  If it was for one game, shifting Robbo to fullback can be a relatively safe stop-gap.  But the length of this Stewart absence means that if we find someone better than Robbo at fullback, we have a lot to gain by looking at how they go.  

There is a lot of potential to find something special at fullback in Bani or Wolfman.  At this stage Wolfman seems the better bet because of his kamakazi ability to break tackles and create the gap. Robbo is a great link to finish off other's breaks, and Wolfman has the X factor to create something for others. Might Bani also have X factor at fullback? That may take longer to develop, particularly given his quieter nature.

Rex do you write motivational posters? Or have you just read a lot?

that's pretty spot on Rex!! It ain't a Robbo bash, but he goes so well on that left wing with Mattai, surely we could start with Bani/Wolf at fullback if it went pair shaped during the game, it ain't a big switch from wing to fullback and vice versa,

As mentioned, it could be 12 weeks, we can't go back to that predicatable type play, it's definitely worth a think

Dan link said:
Rex do you write motivational posters? Or have you just read a lot?
Nah.  The prime source was bitter experience followed by pain and depression, and finally giving up and seeing my thoughts are all abstractions (models, distortions & deviations, simplifications, etc) of "what is".  Being simplified abstractions, and abstractions of abstractions, none are the truth, none to be believed in.  Only to be looked into to see if they are currently useful and viable and as aligned with "what is" as this moment dictates. And ready to drop them in an instant when another more viable concept arises.

This site is a wonderful playground into exploring (my) numerous attachments, blind spots and biases, and enjoying them even as they are watched and expressed.  Did I say that out loud?  Have I overexposed myself?  :)

As a rule I skip anything in brackets when reading

I think wolfman should play fullback. He's pretty safe under thr highball and can return the ball with his vigorous runs.

I like Wolfman at the back and Tony Williams on his wing.

Imagine the start to a set with those two. Wolf would bump off one maybe two and if Tony fires up he could bump 13 by himself.

Did he put on weight in the off season? Cause against Le Tigre he was the biggest person on the park!!!

Merc

I would like to see the hairy one given a go at fullback as well.

I can see why Dessie has given Robbo the gig though, he has much more experience than Wolfy or Bani, played fullback for Scotland in the WCC and as is Des's perogative the safest option.

I would like to see Robbo and Wolfman swap positions at times but I don't think it will happen.

Des Hasler (God love the man) = Robbo at fullback.
He just refuses to change his mind on a position.

I'm neither, well depends on who you speak with I guess

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4