I left Manly and it worked out great for me.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
....said very very few players over the past 40 years.

Plenty here have said, "players don't leave Manly and go on to have stellar careers". A little research (yes, I have too much time on my hands I know) and the statement seems to be pretty true.

So I wanted to find out how many players had actually played first grade at Manly, left, and gone on to win Grand Finals with other clubs.

Last year, JWH did exactly that. He played 6 first grade games at Manly. But as it turns out, that was a fairly neat trick.

To find the last player before that, you need to go back to Luke Phillips who after having one season at Manly playing 22 first grade games, he joined the Roosters and played in their 2002 win over the Warriors.

Although, he didn't play in the Grand Final, in fairness, I should mention Phil (whats a packa) Sigsworth. Joining Manly from Newtown in 1983, he played 34 first grade games in 2 seasons including the grand final loss to Parramatta (which I had the misfortune to see) and scored our only try. Moving to the Dogs in 1985, although they won the Grand Final, Sigsworth didn't play. He did, however, play the following year in the 4-2 loss to Parramatta, where he managed to get himself sent off for a classic coat hanger on Kenny. Close, but no cigar.

The last, was Johnny Mayes who after playing in Manly's 1973 win over Cronulla, went on to the Roosters where he won two Grand Finals in 1974 and 1975.

So there you have it boys and girls. Three. That's it. In forty years. And curiously....all with the Rorters.

So boys, take a lesson from the history books. You may leave. You may get more money. But the culture, the glory and the titles stay where they are. With MANLY.

I like to look at those that have left Manly and think 'do we wish we could keep?', based on how well they are playing and the players in their position.

Hodko has done well in recent years, and good on him, I actually liked him for us, and I like him for NSW, but DCE for me.

JWH has had his moment, and was pivotal for the Roosters last year. But I was happy to have Kitey, Lawrence etc ahead of him. Would I like him this year? Nup too much of a loose cannon for me.

Whare is playing well, and I do keep an eye on him. I guess the choice is him or Hiku. I rate them similar.

I would only have Hopa back - he is getting better every game. :angel:
(Wonder if we could swap him for Choc and release Matai to NZ :idea:)

JWH is a loose cannon and undoes all the good that his talents grant him.
Same with Darcy.

Deano and Hodko are just a level below where Manly needs them to be in potential.

Kitey may make a GF this year.
Wang man (Michael robinson) left and went to the UK ended up highest try scorer in a couple of seasons. Not sure if he won the premiership over there. Mona's did well over there too.

Jerry1 said:
Wang man (Michael robinson) left and went to the UK ended up highest try scorer in a couple of seasons. Not sure if he won the premiership over there. Mona's did well over there too.

How? Is he coming back to us?

I'd go Kitey too. Never happy on his leaving. Hoppa was and will again be a star. Robbo will always be a TRYfecta player in the GF. Over decades the number who have left and went on to greatness would he on one hand.

bob dylan said:
Jerry1 said:

How? Is he coming back to us?

Losing side against Manly.
:)
Hopefully

I agree that Whare is developing as a player since leaving Manly. But in our defence, Dean left because he took one look at Skivvy and Killer and thought "I'm better off going".

Kitey is still playing well but his departure is salary cap related.

I'd say Hoppa is really one of the very few we really wanted to keep. He's clearly a quality player. How good would it be to welcome him home. He doesn't belong at Doesn'tmatta.

Hodkinson has developed into a pretty decent 7. He was really on the cusp there for a while. Glad to see him doing well.

Can't help thinking that Maria may have been a very different (and better) player had he stayed.

Well I left Manly, moved to Canberra in November 1993 and it was great for quite a while but then turned to crap a few years ago! Wish I never left........

simon64 said:
I agree that Whare is developing as a player since leaving Manly. But in our defence, Dean left because he took one look at Skivvy and Killer and thought "I'm better off going".

Kitey is still playing well but his departure is salary cap related.

I'd say Hoppa is really one of the very few we really wanted to keep. He's clearly a quality player. How good would it be to welcome him home. He doesn't belong at Doesn'tmatta.

Hodkinson has developed into a pretty decent 7. He was really on the cusp there for a while. Glad to see him doing well.

Can't help thinking that Maria may have been a very different (and better) player had he stayed.

Kite was offered a job after footy by Gus Gould.

I say our club got Hoppa contract right too. 2 years out of the game, was always going to be a gamble how he came back. As it has turned out he is playing reasonable footy, but still not as electric as the kid who was on our wing. I heard Parra were paying him during those 2 years he wasn't playing as well. Now he is back playing football, it is time he came home.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6