1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HYPOTHETICAL

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Ryan, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,114 / 287
    I know they have this in the cricket, and I know the players are saying they are being burnt out travelling overseas after the season. But would you guys pay money to go see a three match series between say an Australian side, and an Australian "A" side. For example, this is what we could be looking at:-

CURRENT SIDE:-

01. Anthony Minichello
    02. Matt King
    03. Mark Gasnier
    04. Shaun Berrigan
    05. Luke Rooney
    06. Darren Lockyer
    07. Andrew Johns
    08. Luke Bailey
    09. Danny Buderus
    10. Jason Riles
    11. Nathan Hindmarsh
    12. Craig Fitzgibbon
    13. Ben Kennedy

14. Craig Wing
    15. Petro Civineceva
    16. Willie Mason
    17. Andrew Ryan

versus say an Australian "A" side like:-

01. Billy Slater
    02. Timana Tahu
    03. Jamie Lyon
    04. Matt Cooper
    05. Erik Growthe
    06. Trent Barrett
    07. Matt Orford
    08. Mark O'Mealey
    09. Cameron Smith
    10. Steve Simpson
    11. Glenn Morrison
    12. Ben Creagh
    13. Tony Carroll

14. Craig Gower
    15. Brent Kite
    16. Brad Thorn
    17. Joel Clinton

I know I'd go to watch it, and I'd probably pay top dollar to see it.

What do you guys think?

2. Corso_Pete

Corso_Pete Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    boring.............and I didn't read the name of a single player.

3. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It's called State Of Origin.

4. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Id go and watch it. There is so much talent in RL at the moment that is wasted by not letting some of the fringe rep players have a go.

By the look of those two sides, it would be a hard game to split and I would definatly be heading along to watch it.

5. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    BTW, what is boring is the same old replying for the sake of it. People wonder why a lot of us have been scarse latly. Is it any wonder why when you have to filter through crap to read anything of subsance.

6. JohnB_32

JohnB_32 Active Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yeh that would be awesome, except for Stewy at fullback in Aust. A. :)

7. Magic_Menzies

Magic_Menzies Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would watch it for sure, would be a great game and would give great entertainment - would just like to see Jason King in there ;)

8. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    You need a side with fans etc to play for. Games for the sake of it don't stir the imagination or get the needles up on the back of the neck!!

9. CC_Eagle

CC_Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Gold Peter.. :clap:

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,114 / 287
    I was thinking that too John. He was a VERY close inclusion.

Well done Corso & CC - you are both stars.

Thank you Flipper - I agree. It gets tedious when people don't want to add value.

11. CC_Eagle

CC_Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  12. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,114 / 287
  13. earl

earl Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that would make a cracker of a game. Id have to go for side A cause of BK and Joey. He may play for the Knights but he is a freak.

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Interesting concept, but it would never work. Rugby League is a sport which is a combination of skill and physical confrontation, where intimidation, commitment without regard for health and courage are as valuable as the ability to catch pass and run. There has to be a desire there to put the body on the line, and a game like this would not provide that. It might be a showcase for flair but it would lack any substance. Luke Bailey and Jason Ryles are hardly going to want to smash Ben Creagh on his first hit up, similarly Johns and Buderus would run at Simpson all game as they know that they are not going to cop one. Mate against mate only works in SOO, which has history and tradition and a reputation of being the ultimate standard of RL. At best this Australia v Australia A would be something akin to the exhibition matches or testimonial matches, which end up with a scoreline of 48-44 and a missed tackle count to rival our efforts agianst Cronulla a few weeks back.

It works in cricket because it is essentially an individual sport, the batsmen are trying to get runs and the bowlers are trying to get wickets. There is no physical element to the sport (unless Dennis Lillee and Javed Miandad are playing)