How to rort the Salary cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
take a multi millionaire movie star who knows a boxer that owns a gym who is mates with a Australian Rugby league 1st grader

the multi millionaire movie star offers the boxing Gym owner $500k to rent his gym for a month (wink wink) for some event
The boxer agrees to hire the Australian Rugby league 1st grader for that month as a sparing partner for $300K on the basis he signs for a certain club for a lesser amount lets say $250K

I don't think the movie star would risk his entire career by cheating. Just my opinion. Whos to say Max Dlemage wasn't offering real estate cheap cheap.

How a $30,000 quibble is sending ripples right through rugby league
Roy Masters
November 9, 2010

The Greg Inglis case is a legal minefield that has already damaged the game's most lethal player and has the potential to blow up the NRL's salary cap rules as well.

When the bill from a Melbourne law firm for defending Inglis in an action over the alleged assault of his girlfriend arrived at Storm headquarters, his manager, Allan Gainey, challenged the cost on behalf of Inglis. He was willing to pay $87,000 of the $117,000 bill, arguing the Storm hired the expensive senior counsel who defended him to protect the name of the club, not the player. It is a specious argument. Inglis obtained a good outcome. He didn't have to enter a plea; he could continue playing football; his reputation is intact.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Perhaps he should ask Manly's Brett Stewart, broke after defending his sexual assault case, if $117,000 is a reasonable cost to protect an annual income of $1 million.

The NRL's approach to the case also raises questions because salary cap commissioner Ian Schubert has declared any amount Inglis does not pay is assessable in next year's cap.

No one, including the Storm, who released Inglis to Brisbane, can explain why the $30,000 being challenged could not be included in this year's cap. ''The only answer we have been given is that it is at the discretion of the salary cap auditor,'' a Storm spokesman said.

The bill was incurred this year. Given the massive blow-out in the Storm's salary bill this year, surely an extra $30,000 wouldn't make any difference to the penalties imposed.

As it stands, if the Storm paid the $30,000, it would count in their first-tier cap and mean the club would be forced to shed a player.

So the amount has become a transfer fee in the sense that whichever club secures Inglis must have the amount included in its salary cap for next year.

Yet if an NRL club contracts a player from the English Super League, as South Sydney did with Sam Burgess, while the NRL club must pay any transfer fee involved, it does not count in their salary cap.

In other words, the Rabbitohs didn't have to include the transfer fee levied on Burgess by Bradford in their cap but they must include the fee involved in the possible transfer of Inglis from the Storm.

Who did the deal with Inglis and Souths? Gainey said on Sydney radio yesterday it wasn't him, yet admitted the terms - $300,000 a year - were the same as the Broncos were prepared to pay for Inglis.

And how can the Rabbitohs afford him? Souths chief executive Shane Richardson was quoted at the weekend saying of the club's capacity to sign Inglis: ''I always leave a bit of room to manoeuvre.''

Yet on August 26, he told a Sydney newspaper Souths could not re-sign utility back Luke Capewell because the club had no cap space.

Since making that statement, the Rabbitohs have signed two players, and while there has been speculation they might release forwards Roy Asotasi and Michael Crocker, they must find $300,000 for Inglis.

The Storm's readiness to assist Inglis in his legal action will cause clubs to seriously consider protection of their players in future embarrassments. Given the crazy world of a social media network out of control, this will become a big challenge to club boards.

And if legal expenses of defending a player before the NRL judiciary must be met by the player, how many will plead guilty rather than meet the cost themselves?

The anomalies over ''inherited transfer fees'', such as legal bills, will mean clubs will look to England for more and more players.

As the salary cap drives players to England at increasingly younger ages, they will return well before their use-by date.

Greg Eastwood left the Broncos for the Bulldogs and then moved to Leeds but returns to the Bulldogs without any transfer fees counting in the Canterbury cap and still capable of making a difference at the club that went from first to worst while he was away.

And why have the News Ltd-owned Broncos gone cold on Inglis?

The headline in the city's weekend News Ltd monopoly paper said of Inglis, ''Get Lost''.

The club imposed a deadline on him two weeks ago, then moved it.

The Broncos would be reluctant to take action against the NRL - still half-owned by News Ltd - over its salary cap rules. Perhaps Souths will.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/how-a-30000-quibble-is-sending-ripples-right-through-rugby-league-20101108-17kjm.html

It needs to work in concert with a points system.

Two pronged control firstly the cap and then the maximum points cannot be exceeded.

But lets see, that would take leadership and management and would reduce knee-jerk actions.  That is why it won't happen.

eagle-rock08 link said:

Two pronged control firstly the cap and then the maximum points cannot be exceeded.

But lets see, that would take leadership and management and would reduce knee-jerk actions.  That is why it won't happen.

We'd have to many points on that system,full points to

Brett
Jamie
Foran
Choc
Kite
Matai

just under them would be
Wolfman
Robbo
Gifty

Wouldnt leave much room under the points cap for us

Shane link said:
[quote author=eagle-rock08 link=topic=185927.msg305489#msg305489 date=1289355969]

We'd have to many points on that system,full points to

Brett
Jamie
Foran
Choc
Kite
Matai

just under them would be
Wolfman
Robbo
Gifty

Wouldnt leave much room under the points cap for us
[/quote]

Foran, Kite, Matai would hardly rate top points I would think. Jamie, Brett and Choc certainly would.

Rusty with all respect i dont think you realise Kite is a former recent rep of many sides and Matai and Foran are current reps,the only reason they arent in the kiwi team is injury/suspension

Shane link said:
Rusty with all respect i dont think you realise Kite is a former recent rep of many sides and Matai and Foran are current reps,the only reason they arent in the kiwi team is injury/suspension

I do realize all the above. I would doubt that former reps would be in the top category however, and I would think that Foran having only now played a full NRL season, and having played what 2 rep games would also fall short of top level. As to Matai, with all respect to the guy, any ranking system that places him in the company of Thurstan, Lyon, Slater, Marshal or the like is obviously skewed.

My thoughts are that any points system would have an elite category, into which only the three players I mentioned could possibly fall. Ie. Lyon, Stewart and Choc.

I would think for that matter that players like Wolfman and Robbo would fall well down the list, no where near the top ranks. And that isn't to dis them in anyway, but how many players can claim to have either played for NSW or a world cup side other then Aus/Eng/NZ in the last decade, scores I would think.

Fair enough Rusty,Fair enough,i do think Foran is elite myself and only going to get better,that said i hope he works on his short kicking game,that was our downfall last year

Points could be adjusted to reflect the top 25 squad and the Nevills etc.

I've posted on a points system before where long-time players and new recruits get reductions along with local junior being developed.

All players are 'pointed' by the NRL along with an appeals process and the top 25 players cannot add up to more than a set figure.

It is just another way to police rorting.

Shane link said:
Fair enough Rusty,Fair enough,i do think Foran is elite myself and only going to get better,that said i hope he works on his short kicking game,that was our downfall last year

I agree that Foran will be that good in time, however I doubt on his record so far that he could be ranked as such. Thats why any point system would reward clubs that signed potential, and then tried to keep it, hopefully with some kind of long service/ junior discounts included.

Fluffy link said:
whats wrong with 50K in a brown paper bag?

You will have to ask Greg 'Biggest boat in redfern' Inglis. He and his storm buddys might tell you whats wrong with the paper bag.

Ie. You run the risk of getting caught.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8