How the mighty have fallen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
We have a lot of improvement left, and still had enough to trouble them today, when playing average, and having players playing all over the show due to injuries

I for one won't be slashing the wrists just yet, but next week is now a must win
The worst thing that the team could do is put themselves under too much pressure to win next week. Teams under pressure collapse. They need to take to the field without nerves and just play good footy.

The team will be fine, I am talking from my own personal view

The best thing for us and the position we are in at the moment, is that only Brisbane, Warriors and Dogs have won both their encounters, with the Sharks a possibility of that tomorrow, so we are not behind the pack much at all, if we have 2 runs this season where we grab 3-4 on the trot, we will rocket up the ladder

I agree on the personal front. Footy wont seem real again to me until we have scored a win.

Wheel, what game did you watch?  Bani let in two tries, the first by just turning his back and idling back to the tryline to see Manu stroll past him to score and the second just trying to bat the ball back instead of jumping.  Sure he scored, but defense is the thing that we are missing.  He wasn't the only one today, but he was one.  Cuthbo and Jamie were our best.  An improved Choc and once again, today proves that Robbo is not a fullback.  Kiwi, we should have won today, very disappointing.  It seems to me that players are looking at others to tackle.  The middle was soft.  Is Glenn S's head alright?  There will be pressure to win next week.  We need to.  Des said it all post game , "when you lead by eight you expect to win".     

What exactly did Robbo do wrong today at fullback ?

He was solid all day under pressure, and returned the ball ok, without being damaging I will admit, but Stewarts kick return isn't the greatest either

Robbo at Fullback is the least of our problems imo

Kiwi Eagle link said:

He was solid all day under pressure, and returned the ball ok, without being damaging I will admit, but Stewarts kick return isn't the greatest either

err, compared to stewie, how do you think his placement in attack was? its not a matter of what he did wrong (apart from his placement on the jones chip kick) more a matter of the impact of flair into the game...

I read somewhere that when Brett plays we win 70 percent of the games.  It's bloody obvious he deserves whatever we pay him, others don't.  Le'Snack played poorly.  His actions let them of the hook at least twice near their line.  Dreadful.  Kiwi, Robbo was out of position when Jones chipped over the top.  And he didn't get back into the field of play near the end.  Not enough urgency or not quick/slick/snakelike enough or just not a fullback.  Take your pick.  I like him as a winger and he probably would have defused Jones's kick at the end if he was playing on the wing, but he wasn't.  Damn

The positive is that we played like absolute dog **** today and we got within a whisker of beating a team who will be deep into the top 8 once september rolls around.

Our defence today was the softest I have seen since last week and before that it was when we got a touch up from souths (round 22?? last year) it was horrible defence.

We are still in with a huge shot this year if we rectify this defensive problem.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

ke the issue isnt robbo at fullback
the issue is robbo isnt on the wing

the blokes there dont read the defense like he and wolf do

Flight link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=179773.msg214613#msg214613 date=1237709322]

err, compared to stewie, how do you think his placement in attack was? its not a matter of what he did wrong (apart from his placement on the jones chip kick) more a matter of the impact of flair into the game...
[/quote]

He isn't a Brett Stewart chiming in from the back, but you barely find another one of those in the entire NRL, let alone our club. Throwing in a 16 or 17 year old is not the answer imo, and is our only other realistic option at the moment

DSM, the chip kick was a great peice of play that caught him out, but any of our other options would have been too. Not getting the ball back into play, well, I don't think Brett would have either tbh. If he was playing on the wing, we would still be saying the same about whoever else is at Fullback imo

Again, i think Robbo at fullback is the least of our troubles, and other than swapping him and Bani around, I don't really know which other way we can go

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=179773.msg214613#msg214613 date=1237709322]

ke the issue isnt robbo at fullback
the issue is robbo isnt on the wing

the blokes there dont read the defense like he and wolf do
[/quote]

Yup, agree again...as I said before, we are bleeding the points from our backs...through injury and suspension theres not much we can do about it, apart from weathering it...we may as well try a few different combos with the expectation that we will lose our first 4-5 games of the season

I just saw the for and against on the official nrl site. The mighty Manly are in 15th position, not 16th as I thought. We've got 14 rungs to climb up the ladder, beginning next week.

I love it when we lose, you get to read some of the most interesting posts after a loss.

* We lost today on the back of a clever chip and chase by Jones and followed up by a lottery kick to the wing which the bounce of the ball went their way. Had Bani got a hand on it or had Manu knocked on, we win.
* It is worth noting that Jones is a good example of what controlling a team means. Quality kicking game, same as Scott Prince. These type of guys know their teams game and they know the right play at the right time. We don't have that with Orford. His kicking game is too inconsistent.
* We aren't playing anywhere near the level of football we are capable of, but still did enough to lead for the majority of the second half.
* Some injuries left us short handed today, on what was a sappingly hot day for football. You could tell we ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes and the defence went to pieces. Having two guys in hospital didn't help, causing positional changes and reduced interchange options. We had the game for the taking, just poor options in the last 10 minutes cost us field position.
* I think the last thing we need is stupid positional changes, like a 16yr old untried NRL fullback for example. Robbo is no Snake, anyone with half a brain can see that, Robbo himself would admit it, but he was solid enough today and is the best option we have.
* If Suniula is out then we are really going to be scraping the bottom of the winger barrel.

0 from 2 isn't the start to the season most of us would have been hoping for, but it's not the end of the world.

Chip and Chase; your point being?  I haven't read anywhere that posters are slitting their wrists or writing us off yet.  All your points are valid. Writing reasons why we lost and what to do are an important part in loss therapy. 

Watmough and Mattai are playign like they are still pissed form the season launch.  Geln S was struggling for breath out there today and the team doesn't seem commited and mentally switched on like they were last year. 

Maybe we need to play the storm to get the etam fired up. 

Beaver is going to be a huge loss for us this year and we can thank gallop for that.

tookey link said:
Beaver is going to be a huge loss for us this year and we can thank gallop for that.

Gee fair suck of the sav, I dislike what Gallops done with the game as much as anyone but everyone has a salary cap and they choose how to use it, had Des thought Beaver was important enough he would have kept him and not bought say a Tony Williams or Chris Bailey - Manly choose not to retain Beaver and didn't even offer him a contract, that’s hardly Gallops fault.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179773.msg214655#msg214655 date=1237712444]

Gee fair suck of the sav, I dislike what Gallops done with the game as much as anyone but everyone has a salary cap and they choose how to use it, had Des thought Beaver was important enough he would have kept him and not bought say a Tony Williams or Chris Bailey - Manly choose not to retain Beaver and didn't even offer him a contract, that’s hardly Gallops fault.
[/quote]Can't we just blame Gallop - just for fun?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8