How Ordinary is Chris Bailey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Utility Player link said:
Hindsight has 20/20 vision

So what we should have done is break up the Lyon TRex combo that scored 3 tries against the Dragons or move a bloke from fullback where he has been going well to 5/8 that he last played when? Then we could blood a youngster against last years grand finalists who have been on a roll of late.

And all this to drop a bloke who did an ok job of filling in for our regular 5/8 when he went off injured last week and who helped us get a good win over the competition front runners.

So fair enough Bailey made a few mistakes but when was the last time he played 5/8.

You also need to remember a fair portion of our squad was playing their 3rd game in 9 days and on a very heavy field, while most of the Eels players had had 17 days off.

hindsight vs foresight debate aside, this captures the logic behind playing bailey at 5/8, and probably the most telling reason we couldn't fire up to get home (the fatigue and letdown factor).
But don't forget that has been the problem all season, not coming home over the top of teams (which was what we would do a couple of years ago). Again I put that down more to inexperienced playmakers, made worse in the parra game in the absence of foran.

I agree with the idea that Lyon needs to come in a bit and try to spark something/lead the way in the final stages; the guy is on fire at present and can be counted on to do something good. he just needs to get the ball in hand more in the last 20 mins. and also watmough should be ramping up at this stage also. I'd be ripping into him more than anyone else if I were dessie.

Bailey is a placeholder type 5/8 and mostly a bench backrow cover (maybe he'll disappear when Rose gets back anyway). Even if he had a sh#t game there's not much point scapegoating him. better to see the 'big picture' issue, and keep working on that.

one up side is the loss means we probably had a couple of players spared rep duties for now.

Ordinary indeed..

The lack of Foran in attack showed as Hodkinson ran out of attacking ideas and Bailey had nothing. Didn't see as many set plays on Monday night which is a worry.

We also know we will be copping in the range of 5-10 bombs from every team for the rest of the year, with Farrah and Williams 'wanting nothing to do with the high ball' as Brandy repeatedly said on air.

Two weeks to work on some plays with the newer guys.

I spoke to both Robbo and Ben (they were side by side) in NZ.....I can tell you neither of them like (or want) the job...but they don't have a choice.

Robbo is a winger, Farrar is a centre.

I guess they are just doing the best they can, although I agree to not contest a bomb is plain stupid!!

Darren link said:
guy at my school, a souths fan reckons Farrar is the worst fullback he has seen, he cannot believe Farrar lets bombs bounce and reckons he hasn't got a clue!! Also reckons Farrar gets out of position quite bit, robson try was one! no one home, but fullback isnt farrars spot

A souths fan who goes to school, now I have heard it all.  Does your mate not remember Roy Bell?  He is cleary a idiot or has only watched a handful of league games if he thinks Farrar is the worst fullback he has ever seen.

But I do agree he needs to start catching those bombs, not even attempting a catch is not good enough.  Apart from his disgraceful catching effort he is going well in attack.  

Darren link said:
guy at my school, a souths fan reckons Farrar is the worst fullback he has seen, he cannot believe Farrar lets bombs bounce and reckons he hasn't got a clue!! Also reckons Farrar gets out of position quite bit, robson try was one! no one home, but fullback isnt farrars spot

Souths fan must have only been watching League for 1 or 2 weeks, hadn't even seen Albert Kelly apparently. Don't really understand the beef you have had with Farrar since the day he arrived Darren, he has done a good job filling every position we have asked of him since joining us. As for letting bombs bounce, not great, but I have seen Slater do that often this season as well. Would also suggest to the Souths fan to grab a tape of every Manly try this year, and watch Farrar's involvement in a lot of our tries

As for the Robson try, I would have been very disappointed to see our fullback standing "in position" beside the posts while their winger was making a break down the sideline

Ben has gone well, not a big fan but he hasn't really let anyone down, always interesting to get an opposition fans opinion, not really maroon and white biased,

I agree, considering it's NOT his position I think he's doing very well, if he could just learn to contest for the ball it's about all we can expect

Farrar's attacking ability and defensive ability cannot be questioned (look at his on the siren match winning try against The Sharks, and his tackle on Billy Slater to win us the game In Melbourne as examples).

It's just that blasted confidence under the high ball ! It'll come lads, it'll come.

Darren link said:
guy at my school, a souths fan reckons Farrar is the worst fullback he has seen, he cannot believe Farrar lets bombs bounce and reckons he hasn't got a clue!!
I once met a bloke while I was having some tyres fitted who thought Jamie Lyon was themost over-rated player he had ever seen. Looking back on it now, I am starting to doubt that bloke knew much about footy, though he certainly made out he was an expert. Very odd.

On the topic of Bailey, I am reminded somehow of Mark Bryant. For a couple of years there was a continuous barrage of criticism of him, then as 2008 built to an astonishing crescendo, he was one of our best all through the finals. Who could have foreseen that? Who indeed. Des works in mysterious ways.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7