How Many Trial Matches Should we Play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
I was just looking through the trial match schedule and what stands out is the the Warriors are playing 4 trial matches in 4 weeks. Souths, Easts, filth, St George & most others are playing 3, we are playing 2, which I am happy with.

Kiwis
1. 5 February against Newcastle
2. 12 February against Parramatta
3. 19 February against Burleigh Bears
3. 26 February against Manly

To me that seems crazy. Thoughts?

4 doesn't seem to bad. The Burleigh trial would be for the Vulcans and U20s.
Thought we could have done this:
Week 1: SCSE
Week 2: Sharks
Week 3: Warriors

Also someone came up with an idea to play a knock out style comp (Challenge Cup/ NAB Cup ) as a preseason thing.

But the dropkick(Gallop) knocked it on it's head thus giving AFL and S15 basically free reign during Feburary.
Probably only sees a little picture.
If they did it it would mean more for TV rights, gives clubs a chance to advertise more there memberships  etc.

And if he was worried about crowds do what the AFL have done make it double headers.

the frist warriors trial was in Greymouth for the miners, more a charity/memorial game than a trial.

4 just means extra chance of getting injured..  nah twos good enough for us ;)

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen wants trial games scrapped and all NRL clubs to agree to shield players from injuries in "nothing games".

Pointing to the season-ending knee injury to luckless Roosters backrower Anthony Cherrington on the weekend, Gallen said clubs should restrict their preparations to intra-club hit-outs.

Smartest thing Gallen has said for ages.

bring back the 'Sevens' pre-season tournament i reckon, that was entertaining. more of an attacking / speed game so less high impact tackling / chance of injury and was a great way for young kids to get a bit of a taste of a higher class of footy in a team that was half youth / half experience. Throw in some incentive for the teams to at least play a few stars. maybe some cash prize towards the club that is big enough to be beneficial, have the tournament over a sat / sun with non stop back to back games. this time of year everyone is starving of footy, so a cheap 'family oriented' ticket and you'd get great attendance, players get a bit of a run around, of course always chance of injury, but probably less than full on trials. Maybe teams could field an A team and a B Team in two little tournaments, gives everyone a chance of a run.

Whats to say Cherringtons knee wasnt going to pop in Rd 1?
You need trial games & sometimes sh!t happens.
Do we start the season in Rd 2 to avoid injuries?
As for "nothing games", why don't we play our reggies when we play Souths then we won't get injured.

The Boot link said:
Whats to say Cherringtons knee wasnt going to pop in Rd 1?
You need trial games & sometimes sh!t happens.
Do we start the season in Rd 2 to avoid injuries?
As for \"nothing games\", why don't we play our reggies when we play Souths then we won't get injured.

The simple fact is that there more players play, the greater the chance of injury. Trials have no point. The proposal from Des was that trials be banned so everyone started the season with no trial games, making it even and fair.

The top 25 players should only be used for games that matter.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8